Tweeter diaphragms in KG5.5 and Chorus II

tomlinmgt

11 minutes ago, moray james said:

you bet the Crites ti diaphragm that you have on your 5.5 tweeter will drop  right into your Chorus ll K79 tweeter no problem. If you like the ti tweeters you will love the ti mid diaphragms.

Did I see you say in another thread that the Ti mid diaphragms can be sourced from Simply Speakers, MJ? What is the model number of the factory piece and is the Ti replacement unit manufactured by Klipsch? 

Edited by tomlinmgt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Factory-Speaker-Midrange-Horn-Driver-Diaphragm-For-K-53Ti-K53Ti-127122-/151284768288?hash=item2339465e20:g:jggAAMXQyY1TVWn0

Just so that you're aware not everyone that tries the TI mid is happy with the results. Last I spoke with Mr Crites about it he claimed it was roughly 50 / 50 if I recall correctly. I myself tried them and thought they were "too much" in their forwardness and ended up switching back. Others can't say enough good things about them though. Please let us know your thoughts if you do decide to go this route.

• Like 1

So it sounds like the Ti mid diaphragm maybe changes the voicing to something that's perhaps better suited to listening spaces that are less "lively" or appropriately treated to tame reflections/echoes and/or electronics that are tilted toward laid back/warm, perhaps even neutral.  Would this be an assertion that's been made before? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomlinmgt said:

Did I see you say in another thread that the Ti mid diaphragms can be sourced from Simply Speakers, MJ? What is the model number of the factory piece and is the Ti replacement unit manufactured by Klipsch? 

why don't you contact Simply Speakers directly and make your order? They are original genuine Klipsch factory parts. They will smooth out with lots of high level playback. If you still find them a little hot after a month or two of play there are simple mods that will improve them and smooth them out for you. I am not a fan of how Klipsch goes about filtering the top end response of the ti diaphragm. Lots of people drop them directly into their speakers plug and play and love them the old phenolic diaphragms simply do not do what the ti diaphragms can do. The new H3 and CW3 both use ti mids and tweeter diaphragm. The RF series is all metal diaphragm. You are going to have to be the one who decides if you like them or not. 

you are looking for a titanium diaphragm which will fit a K52 motor assembly (I don't remember what number they give it in the Chorus/Chorus ll). Klipsch used different numbers for the same part when used in different finished speaker systems just to be a PITA to those who repair or modify. If you can't afford a phone call to Simply Speakers you can search the Simply Speakers site yourself or just email them a request for a quote on parts plus postage. The last pair that I bought were In the $90.00 each ball park plus shipping. In much less time than you have spent here you could have found all of this out yourself. 

If you are going to upgrade your diaphragms you should also install new capacitors in your crossovers as well because new ti diaphragms will tell you how poorly the stock caps are really sounding by now after twenty years or more. Bob Crites would be the go to guy for crossover capacitor kits he will even install them for you, which I would recommend just so you don't ruin them attempting to solder them in to the network. If you have little to no soldering experience let Bob do the job and they will be upgraded professionally tested and guaranteed to work.

I don't want you to take the suggestion to purchase new speakers as an insult. If you have good soldering skills and you have experience doing modifications then go for it. There are a lot of modifications that can be done to improve your Chorus ll loudspeakers but I have no idea if you are interested or if you have the skills to do so. For about $1200.00 you can purchase a set of brand new with warranty Cerwin Vega twin fifteen three way speakers (their top of the line) which will blow a set of Chorus ll out of the water and might get you a lot closer to where you want to be.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/xls-215.html

I happen to prefer the Crites ti tweeter diaphragm to the Klipsch factory unit. I have had two Klipsch ti tweeter diaphragms go south on me and not one Crites unit has given me any problems. If you are going to purchase capacitors Bob will make sure that you get quality parts which fit and you can get your diaphragms and caps in one package so you pay shipping only once.

For those who simply prefer the phenolic sound then know that Bob has a new phenolic mid diaphragm which IMO is better sounding than the factory phenolic so you can still upgrade and keep the sound that you love. Regards moray james.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moray james said:

I don't want you to take the suggestion to purchase new speakers as an insult. If you have good soldering skills and you have experience doing modifications then go for it. There are a lot of modifications that can be done to improve your Chorus ll loudspeakers but I have no idea if you are interested or if you have the skills to do so. For about $1200.00 you can purchase a set of brand new with warranty Cerwin Vega twin fifteen three way speakers (their top of the line) which will blow a set of Chorus ll out of the water and might get you a lot closer to where you want to be.

http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/xls-215.html

I recapped these...and reflowed the solder on all sixteen of those EMIT tweeters.  Maybe I won't get in over my head with a 3-way Klipsch design. (wink)image.jpeg

The Chorus II's current midrange is crossed lower than Klipsch crosses the Ti Midrange from what I understand.  For that fact, for best performance tweaks probably should be made to the Chorus II crossover to raise the crossover point.  For a Forte II it probably makes more sense as the woofer is more happily crossed higher but you will need to be the judge.