Chorus II w/ Crites vs RF7 II

Scottymac63

Obviously if you already have the Chorus II it would be much cheaper to upgrade them than to buy whole new speakers. I've never had the RF-7 II's but did do side by side with the original 7's and a set of Crites updated Chorus II's. I thought the Chorus II's sounded better and seemed more efficient than the 7's but I'm biased towards the Chorus line. Even if the 7 II's were an improvement I don't see them being leaps and bounds better, more of a lateral move I'd think.

I agree with jjptkd, I think its a lateral move.

But my this is my take on them. I've owned both, both are great at what they do. If you do any music listening I would recommend the Chorus II's. I think they have a fuller sound, and overall larger presence. For HT I think it just comes down to preference. Both are dynamic, and are able to play really loud with no distortion. If you have already started a sound system with Heritage speakers I would say stick with that. But with that said, I did build my HT around my 7 II's and I have the rest of the setup to go with it. I do like the look of the 7's better. So basically what I was trying to say, Music I enjoyed the Chorus II's more, for HT either one worked for me.

I'm more into music and occasional movie watching. Since I'm original owner of my Chorus II's, I never gave the RF 7 II's much thought until I recently bought a pair of bookshelf 150's for a smaller ht system. I played with them a bit on my main system in 2 channel with a sub and was amazed at the detail coming from tweeters. So, that got me thinking about RF7's. My main sysytem for ht does have older Reference rears and center (REF IV RC62). At work right now, I forget the model of the rears. 

Another note, I've found the Chorus II's blend well with the higher end Reference line. I'm using forte II's right now with the RC-7 center and surrounds and they blend perfectly. Lower end reference stuff just has a hard time keeping up and don't have that larger sound so not as good of a match but that would probably be true as well with the 7 II's.