Western Electric 805 tube

jimjimbo

Anyone know anything about this tube?  Just can't find much info on it, especially if it's worth anything.  I found this at an auction this past weekend, and it is in original packaging, never opened.  Looks like a thick paper covering over a padded box, and the paper is wax coated, almost like a waxed canvas....Has "US" with an anchor stamped over the tape.  Pretty cool looking, but not sure what to do with it...certainly not going to open it...any info would be great.

IMG_3220.JPG

I am wondering if it is an actual WE tube, or an 805 from another manufacturer that they may have used for something.

Hold out though, maybe someone here knows. I wouldn't open it without taking a video of you doing so, noting the date.

2 hours ago, paul79 said:

I am wondering if it is an actual WE tube, or an 805 from another manufacturer that they may have used for something.

Hold out though, maybe someone here knows. I wouldn't open it without taking a video of you doing so, noting the date.

Not sure I understand what you mean if it's an actual WE tube....I mean, it does state WE right on the label....

Don't worry, no way I am opening it.  i was hoping it was going to be worth a gazillion dollars, allow me to buy my dream retirement home on the coast of Maine, but, likely not....

I say that because I don't recall WE making an 805. Just because it says WE on the box don't necessarily mean there is a WE tube in it. That company had their toes in allot of stuff back then, so there is really no telling. It could be though, so I don't know.

I'm sure it is an 805 tube, but I think it is from another manufacturer. Maybe they outsourced them for some piece of equipment they were using, and stuck them in their box. It says Spare on the box as well, which may affirm my theory somewhat.

Even though, a NOS 805 tube from any manufacturer is worth at least $150....

On 10/18/2016 at 5:23 PM, jimjimbo said:

Not sure I understand what you mean if it's an actual WE tube....I mean, it does state WE right on the label....

Don't worry, no way I am opening it.  i was hoping it was going to be worth a gazillion dollars, allow me to buy my dream retirement home on the coast of Maine, but, likely not....

Tung Sol made a number of tubes for Western Electric during the period of WWII. For example the 717A tube.

This is indeed likely an RCA made 805 that WE procured and reboxed.  The closest actual WE tube was the 331A.  

Earlier this year, there was a guy on eBay selling "Western Electric" 6SL7's for about $400 a pair that were obviously RCA tubes (the stop sign logos were quite prominent), but he wouldn't give up on the idea that WE made them, and that they were worth millions of dollars.  

The only way to be totally sure about what you have is to unpack it and take some photos.