1984 La Scala's

kevinski01

You can identify the crossovers in the rear of the cabinet, they are located in the same cavity as the mid horns, mounted on a board.

Don't spray them.  Use a product called Duratex, that you can get from Parts Express.  Specifically made for speaker cabinetry.  Looks much, much nicer than spray.

http://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-duratex-black-1-gallon-roller-grade-speaker-cabinet-coating--260-101

Use a roller, not spray.

Could you please post some photos of all sides, crossovers, etc, before you do anything?  Lots of folks here to help you get maximum value.

Where in CT?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kevinski01 said:

I don't know which crossovers they are. I am picking up the speakers today. Where would I find the crossover description?

Turn the speaker so you are looking at the back.  The top part is open and on the left you will see the crossover (XO) right beside the mid horn driver, probably a K-55-M.  Stamped on the XO is the Type.  In the case of my picture below the XO is type AA.

IMG_3132.JPG

EDIT:  I posted the same time you did Kevin.  Sorry for the unnecessary response post ^^^.   You made a solid choice going with the Crites products as they will add value and have good name recognition for buyers.

+++

36 minutes ago, kevinski01 said:

Does anyone have interest in the AL's that come out of these?

For most of the regular posters here, probably not.  It's not considered the most desirable XO Klipsch ever made.  It might make a good XO for someone doing a project.  You might advertise them for $80 and see if there are any bites.  Be aware they are heavy and expensive to ship.

+++

Have you seen this WTB ad on the Klipsch Market Place forum?

1 hour ago, kevinski01 said:

I personally do not like the idea of rolling them. I decided not to do flat black I'm going to do a Satin finish. Black

Are they already black?  I can just about guarantee you will diminish the value of the speakers if you spray paint them.  If you are spending money on the internal components, why not finish the cabinetry correctly?  This is what a properly restored and rolled Duratex La Scala pair looks like....

post-12530-0-14640000-1428363337.jpg

post-12530-0-91440000-1429381777.jpg

post-12530-0-90920000-1429381751.jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Are they already black?  I can just about guarantee you will diminish the value of the speakers if you spray paint them.  If you are spending money on the internal components, why not finish the cabinetry correctly?  This is what a properly restored and rolled Duratex La Scala pair looks like....

post-12530-0-14640000-1428363337.jpg

post-12530-0-91440000-1429381777.jpg

post-12530-0-90920000-1429381751.jpg

Very nice JimJimbo!

Mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinski01 said:

I personally do not like the idea of rolling them. I decided not to do flat black I'm going to do a Satin finish. Black

I used a roller for a DIY 15" sub w/ 3/4" bare MDF, two coats of Satin black paint.  It's really easy to do and looks great.

I needed two coats because bare MDF soaks up paint.  Instead of using a primer-sealer I just decided to go with two coats of black.  You might get by with one coat because it is already painted.

Either way, paint or Duratex, you are in the right ballpark.

+++

I just read what others wrote above about using spray cans.  They are right.  I have used Satin Black spray on my small DIY Overnight Sensations speakers, and even though they look good, the spray is uneven at times and runs easily which is really hard to clean up.