best LR speaker for RC-52ii

shaunm

Hi all, its been like 6 years since i posted here. I need some help advice on which speaker to match my RC-52ii. I have a dedicated theater room but this system will be for my living/family room 3.1 setup. Music and Movies. I just can't stand tv speaker sound. I was looking for rf-52ii but no stores sells them anymore. I have been looking in the used market but cant find any. In my local store there is a floor model RB51 mkii that is on sale for $250 and the guy even says he can lower it to $199, regular price when new was $499 for the pair. Another option is a used quintet 3 i can get 4 for $80 but only need 2. Or is there any new Klipsch speakers that will go well with my RC-52ii? 

thanks! 

• Moderators

I would definitely say Quintet would not pair well with the RC-52ii.  Since it's not your dedicated room, I think the RB-51 with RC-52ii would be a huge improvement over your TV speakers would do just fine.  Just keep your eye out on a set of RF-52ii that you can upgrade to down the road.

This guy has a pair of RB-51ii with boxes so he might be willing to ship if you wanted the drivers to match with your RC-52ii. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, shaunm said:

also do you guys think it would be an ok match if i buy the new R24F instead? 

This may be wrong of me to say because I have not heard the new "Reference" series but IMO, they appear to be rebadged Synergy speakers.  They have the same less quality appeal as the synergy line just with copper woofers.  The Reference Premiere is more along the lines of the old "Reference" series (RF52, RF-52ii etc).  The new "Reference" Series also use the lower quality Aluminum Tweeters as opposed to the Titanium Tweeters in the RB-51 and RF-52 speakers.

• Moderators

Sounds good.  Let us know what you think after you get them setup.  I've not heard the RB-51's before but have owned the RB-61's and they are fantastic speakers, especially for being a bookshelf speaker.  Bass on them is surprisingly good too but that might be partly due to the fact that they are front ported.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

I wish Klipsch had never done that cause now even more people associate reference stuff as "best buy garbage" 

Yeah, I personally don't see that line as "Reference".  My thought is if everything now is considered "Reference" then what makes "Reference" reference?  :lol:  There's nothing wrong with selling lower end quality Klipsch speakers in your Big Box stores.  They have to reach as many markets as possible to stay in business.  I just struggle with calling lower end speakers "Reference" and calling their true Reference speakers Reference Premier.  Not to mention it just makes things so much more confusing.

• Like 1

Yeah imo that's one of the biggest mistakes I've seen them make since I have been in to the brand. Might have a few new customers in the process but letting them think they are getting "better" but also hurting their reputation with people that already are customers. 

I bought them the RB51 mkii BUT one of the speaker box is damage in the top left corner and bottom right corner... thats why they gave it to me for $199 from $499 to $269 (was the sale sticker price) but i got them to lower it to $199. the speakers are fine they work nothing wrong with them and it has 5 years warranty. The damaged is just bothering me. There is a guy on craigslist selling polk r300 for $100 pair what do you guys think? should i return the RB51 and get the polks? they are towers too and so i wont need a stand for them. They have good reviews aswell. 

i wouldnt be interested in mixing polk with klipsch. however i also would not be interested in damaged speakers. take them back and patiently wait for some used ones. something will pop up. i personally have sold like 5 pairs of rf-52ii over the past few years. I've snagged them for as little as 150$ a pair. 

okay scrappydude, im 70% thinking of returning them.... the sound is good though... 

oh lol yea thats my old signature like 2009 i should update it.. i used the rcx-4 for centre in my bedroom i dont even know what happened to those now if i sold them or still in the garage somewhere. in my theater theater room i have rf-62ii for LCR rs42ii for surround, 2 velodyne dps12, CVA21 21inch subwoofer (hooked up) all hooked up to an onkyo amp but im going to try tonight to switch it to my harmon/kardon i think those sound better but is older i will also try to hook up my QSC 2x500 watts amp to the LR speaker output of the harmon kardon to see if it will sound better. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, shaunm said:

I bought them the RB51 mkii BUT one of the speaker box is damage in the top left corner and bottom right corner...

Any pics?  How bad is the damage?

1 hour ago, shaunm said:

There is a guy on craigslist selling polk r300 for $100 pair what do you guys think? should i return the RB51 and get the polks? they are towers too and so i wont need a stand for them. They have good reviews aswell. 

My first speakers were Polk Audio RT-800, CS350 and FX-500.  I bought a pair of Klipsch CF-2, Klipsch KV-1 and a Velodyne F1500 sub (I bought the set only for the sub).  After hooking up the CF-2's, I heard elements in CD's I'd listen to hundreds of times that I had never heard before.  I was instantly hooked, sold my Polk and never looked back.