Sell off console amps to get one single better one

avguytx

I have two console amps that I've owned now for close to 10 years that have been gone through and updated but not really "revamped".  I know they have lots of limitations as they were designed for consoles with free air woofers with bass boost added on occasion.  I have a Magnavox 9304-20 and Stromberg Carlson ASR-120 and they both do sound very good for what they are but I still know I'm missing the real tube sound.  I had thought about using both of these amps for my "Belle clone build" with active or passive 2-way crossover or maybe one of my Carver amps on the low end and one or the other amps on the top end.  I honestly can't afford to spend the big bucks on amps but could build a kit amp of sorts.  Maybe something in the $500-ish range once these other two amps are sold.  (I have a daughter that's about to head to the U of A for college so expenses are about to change even more.  Thank God she's a 4.0+ student and tests well.)

So current speakers are the CF-3's and eventually will be the clones but, for now, the Epics.  For a little extra background, I have tinnitus so I have a constant sound I hear that some days is louder than others.  My hearing just isn't what it used to be so higher end stuff, I just can't substantiate the expense since I can't tell the major subtleties.  I do play things a little louder to overcome what I hear in my head so I'm thinking flea power isn't going to cut it.  Maybe 10 to 20 wpc.  This may not even be realistic for that budget.  Maybe I need to stick with my 460wpc Carver M-1.0t amplifier and call it good.  haha.

My knowledge is limited on tube amps other than I can reasonably follow a schematic, own a couple of Fluke meters for testing, and am mechanically inclined and have patience.  And I'm not afraid of asking questions and for help if need be.  

But I do appreciate any input from you guys.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of those amps, and both provide a very real tube listening experience (particularly with Klipsch speakers).  Sure, they may lack a little extreme bottom end extension, but how often do you encounter program material with significant output below around 45 Hz?  I seriously doubt you will find any amps in the $500 price range which will outperform them to a significant degree.  Sure, you can get some Chinese amps for that amount which will offer more power, but whether your tinnitus will allow you to hear any difference is open to question.  If it were me, I'd stay with those and enjoy them (in fact I restored an ASR-120 for a guy not long ago and it sounded absolutely wonderful with CWs).  When I'm asked for the least expensive route to decent tube sound I always recommend console stereo units from the early 60s which can often be found at consignment shops for as little as $50. 

Maynard

Thanks for both of your input on these amps.  It's been awhile since I listened to either amp (maybe winter) so I just hooked up the ASR-120.  Yes, it does sound good...as I remember!  It's got pretty much everything done to it except for different OPT's and that sounds like it should be the next thing to do before going to something else.  All the ceramic resistors were replaced with 1% tolerance and it also uses Orange Drop caps.  The multi-cap was replaced with separate caps under the chassis but the can is still in place.  Also, I had broke one of the 7199's (ugh) so it was rewired for 6U8 type tubes that were sent to me by a generous fellow ok AK a few years back.  I need to remove that to clean up the top area.  So which transformers were used in yours JL?  

Maynard, what else do I do to it/them?  OPT's mainly?  Tubes?  I'll see if I have some pics to post of it.

I think that's right on the OPTs. That thread is the exact play by play, if you will, of what we did to rebuild the amp.

Maynard has posted on this thread and he does some beautiful work on these type amps. I'm sure any of his suggestions are golden!

I have no idea. That was 5 years ago.

Edit: I found the email where I bought those from Angela Instruments.

http://www.angela.com/hammondoutputtransformer1650f.aspx

Looks like they were $77 each plus shipping back them.

1650F 2 $77.00 $154
Subtotal: $154.00
Shipping: $19.23
Tax: $0.00

Order Total: $173.23

I'd read somewhere where the S/C trannies were wound in house and were kind of surprising. But not sure there's any proof to back that up other than hearsay. Who knows. I've read their tunes are something to stay with in comparison to JJ's and other brands. I'd spend the couple hundred if it was truly another level. CF3's do have the ability for it as far as range.  

I'm going to order a pair of the Edcor CXPP25-8K that run right at $150 shipped.  May take some time to get them but that's ok.  Gotta start on the Belle bass bins now.  Once I'm done with this project, I may get the courage to build your 2a3 amp, Maynard.  I just need more efficient speakers than my CF-3's to do so.  ha

http://www.edcorusa.com/cxpp25-8k

• 1 month later...

The more I ponder spending the money on transformers, newer tubes, etc, etc, with either of these, the more I contemplate just going with a new amp of some sort.  I don't have the skills you guys have to build nor do I have the time with a mother who recently completely lost her hearing and life has changed drastically for me, my family, and mom.  Plug and Play seems to be the best route for me on an amplifier.  Now building speakers, that's another story....I gots those skills.  ha

My budget will be about $700 maybe a few ducks more.  Would prefer something new.  Power amp is preferred as I have a preamp that does all I need (remote volume...I like that) and I have a powerful amp when I need horsepower.  So I'm thinking something like a KT88, or FU-29, or EL84, or...??  Something around 30wpc+ if that's possible.  Mainly it will be ran on CF-3's for now...until I can get others built.