Sell off console amps to get one single better one

avguytx

I'm seriously leaning towards one of the Dynaco VTA ST-70's or ST-120 amplifier kits with tubes.  It pretty much comes with everything that's needed and it will be at the max limit I could spend reasonably.  Just got to decide if I "need" the ST-120's 60wpc or if the 35wpc of the ST-70 would work.  It will be on CF-3's for now and, maybe one day, the Bell clones.  I don't feel as comfortable with a Chinese amp as I'm not as good on running down issues with a sketchy diagram.  These guys are in the US.

I've also got an email in to an old buddy from my years spent as a rep for Sunfire, plus having talked to him numerous times since the late 80's at CES shows in Vegas and Chicago....Bob Carver.  He's looking into some things, too.  May be beyond me but never hurts to ask. 

Going to go with either the VTA ST-70 or the ST-120.  35wpc or 60wpc. (Tested a little more) There's about $190 price difference in kit form plus the tubes.  I know that 35wpc is plenty for 100+dB sensitivity speakers and even for the CF-3's but 60wpc could be handy if I rotate something else in. Ugh...decisions, decisions. 

I'll start on the Belle bins and tops sometime after first of year. Was going to during Christmas break but my mother's health has been erratic in the last half of this year. Or I may ask if longdrive will build me a pair of bottoms since he's about an hour from me. Ha

• 5 weeks later...

Well, with all this time I've spent in the hospital with my mother in hospice care, I've pondered more. So if it were down to a choice of a Bottlehead Stereomour II 2a3 amp versus the Latino ST-70/120 at similar price points, what's everyone's personal opinion of what they'd go with? It would be run on my CF-3's (99db @ 1 watt) for now and eventally Belle clones (103db). I know....some like more tube power, some like the allure of the SET sonic nature (which I'm curious of as well) 

Again, just curious of others opinions and I take them as such.

I've decided on the Bob Latino ST-120 amplifier pretty much and am ready to place my order.  But then I start pondering if it would be worth it to spend another $200 for the MK3 mono blocks.  I know there's advantages to having separate PS's per channel which won't make that much difference in SQ.  I believe Bob said the ST-120 has a 13lb transformer and the MK3's use an 8lb per chassis.

Well, Bob and Roy both seem to feel that the ST-120 and Mk3's are too much power and not needed for the Klipsch speakers.  Bob said to save my money and get the 70 and still stays with that opinion. Maybe the 70 is the one to go with for now and put that other money towards my other projects. 

VTA ST-70 ordered this morning with 6550 tube set. This amp will be more than plenty for the 99db sensitivity CF-3's I use and also with the Belle clones I'll be building later. I ordered it with the both capacitor upgrades, the 3 pole speaker connections for 4 and 8 ohm taps, and the stepped attenuator. Looking forward to the amp coming later this week!

• Like 1