Sell off console amps to get one single better one

avguytx

I never built an amplifier in kit form before, because I could never pony up the amount of cash for a type of kit amp I would want.

Oh now wait a minute...I do have the Scott LK48B integrated amplifier kit, that came with the construction manual, but someone had already put it together. I just freshened it up with a re-cap and some other things.

I'm just not used to having a project where everything is just assembled and soldered with no measuring holes, drilling, fabricating, then figuring out how to layout and wire the mess.

Good luck, and take your time...putting it together is half the fun!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike stehr said:

I never built an amplifier in kit form before, because I could never pony up the amount of cash for a type of kit amp I would want.

Oh now wait a minute...I do have the Scott LK48B integrated amplifier kit, that came with the construction manual, but someone had already put it together. I just freshened it up with a re-cap and some other things.

I'm just not used to having a project where everything is just assembled and soldered with no measuring holes, drilling, fabricating, then figuring out how to layout and wire the mess.

Good luck, and take your time...putting it together is half the fun!

My dad started buying me Heatkits at age 11, most tube based, some early SS, out of every kit i built, one out of five worked from the getgo.

After a day or three trouble shooting/rework they worked as intended.

Got good by age 13, everything worked first time.

Then i got the "Word" = That's good son, everything works first time, now if you want ANY more kits, pick a couple you have already and show me "Clean wiring/looms:o

Keep in mind early 60s there were no "Tie Wraps" we had what they call "Spot Tie", look it up.

I did as dad ask, my chit looked badazz, course thank god he did not ask to see them function, they did not.

But he saw what he wanted and i started getting all the Ham goodies you could ever want.

Moral of the story is every kit is "Learning", so frigging what if it looks like hell, as long as it "Works" now you can always go back in on a rainy day and clean things up.

No one is ever a Pro first 10 "Kits"........just dont show to many people:P

When I first wanted to get into tube amplification for audio, I looked at a lot of kit amps and pre-amps.

Fortunately, I befriended a local (at the time) retired electrical engineer with a large desire for audio.

The guy showed me how to scratch build for dirt cheap...introduced myself to the concept of bread-boarding tube circuits.

In one of the first visits, I pointed out a simple tube line-stage kit online that I was interested in. It was around 500 bucks for the kit. He busted out laughing..."500 bucks for simple tube line-stage!" "Are you kidding me?!"

"I can build a tube line-stage for peanuts!" I was then shown that tube hi-fi can be done on the cheap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, minermark said:

Keep in mind early 60s there were no "Tie Wraps" we had what they call "Spot Tie", look it up.

I have a book around here that explains how to wrap wire looms with whatever string they use, and how to loop the string (or tie) the loops so they don't come loose...sumthin' like that...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

I have a book around here that explains how to wrap wire looms with whatever string they use, and how to loop the string (or tie) the loops so they don't come loose...sumthin' like that...

https://youtu.be/YEAsNeIy0F8

God i love tie wraps these days, because my fingers dont hurt like after Spot Tie.

1 hour ago, minermark said:

Little did i know Dad had other things in mind after i learned spot tie, crawling in back of a fuselage of many a plane, wile he and his buddys smoked cigars/beer.

I felt like an abused kid, because "I Fit"

LOL...just feel fortunate that you weren't some British kid in the mid-1800s, whose parents couldn't afford you at the age of six, and contracted you out to the coal-mines to drag a coal cart in the dark.