Danger Will Robinson! Another crossover/capacitor thread!

jimjimbo

More than likely this has been discussed before, however...a question about the significance of capacitors in a crossover.

My query is fairly simple (although the answer may not be...I get that).  In a relatively general sense, and everything being equal, what is the most important capacitor(s) in a network circuit, that will have the most impact on it's associated driver?  In other words, where should one install a "higher quality" cap in a network to get the most benefit?  Could a person get away with installing a relative cheap cap on the woofer, and not realize a lot of difference, or?  I'm just curious, nothing else. (yea, sure)

Generally, the quality of reactive components is more important when they are in series with the drivers.

Accordingly, 

* the quality of capacitors is more important in tweeter crossovers and you might get away using steel core inductors in the shunt position.

* the quality of inductors is more important in woofer (low pass) crossovers, .. and (for example) you might get away by using cheap electrolytic caps in the shunt position.

• Like 1

Jim, will this be for the Khorns or another speaker?  How old is the current network?  With all that said, changing one or two caps in a fairly new network may add a little.  The biggest bang is the quaity of the speaker and setup.  This will get you 98% of the best sound from the speakers.  Match that with good gear and it is a very, very good system.  I had the new networks and caps with my Fortes and they sounded great but was it that big a change from the stock?  I alway think for a short while after these changes it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, for a short while.

There are always better parts but, that does not necessarily mean a better sound.  I'm of the opinion that changing wire, power cords and cap, ect are for those seeking the last 2% in SQ.  I know others will differ and swear these things make hughe difference.  I've heard many high priced and high end speakers that don't sound anywhere near some of the old Klipsch Heritage line and their parts are new.

The better caps will pass high frequencies better and have the least affect on the driver from a distortion perspective.  That is why better caps are best used in the series section of the higher frequency section.  This is also the reason many bypass mid/high frequency caps with film, to allow for lowest distortion and better high frequency response.

Many times when crossing over woofers lower, the caps get very large.  Large high quality caps get expensive and will have minimal if any noticeable audio impact.  That is where you will be able to swap in larger electrolics to keep costs in line (12db, 24db, or zobel).

Basic thought is anything not in the direct signal path, series, will have lesser impact on the sound if substituted for a lesser quality cap.

Thanks Mate!  I had already read a couple of those, and they are interesting.

If you happen to visit Sydney at all, I would highly recommend Tetsuya's restaurant.  Without question, the finest meal I have ever had in my entire life.  Be sure to ask if they are serving the Blue Cheese ice cream....it is amazing.

http://tetsuyas.com/about/