Klipsch La Scala Woofer mod

The K-33 woofers have had higher Qts than 0.3 over time:

http://imgur.com/jNN8AER

http://imgur.com/pOwb57S

Here is a resource that might help (remember that the same woofer is used in the La Scala, Belle, Klipschorn, and Cornwall):

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/khorn/

Probably what you need to do is to run Hornresp for the La Scala with the woofers that you are considering:

Chris

• Like 1

there are two thoughts regarding the  high / low Qts, in principle, the theory, as says Honeybadger provides a low qts for horn systems, but I have noticed, also here on the forum, which was increased to k33 woofer the qts over the years ,I do not understand whether it is a problem of adaptation to various types of loading (the scale, Cornwall, etc.) or is more targeted to improving low frequency in la scala speakers , 

I've read various posts on the forum who have advised the kappa 15c, but would like to understand why Klipsch has increased the qts of the k33e ..

I'm relatively sure that your answers are going to be neither obvious nor simple. 

The Cornwall is ported, while the La Scala, Belle, and Khorn are all three horn-loaded, with acoustic suspension (relatively small closed box back volumes).  My guess is that all four loudspeaker models are set up to handle the single woofer driver, and that some trade offs were required.  Those trade offs have occurred over the past 50-60 years, so that rationale might be difficult to chase down. Perhaps Roy, Kerry or Jim (Hunter) might chime in.

I've learned to look at the Hornresp simulated results to see what the relative acoustic power outputs are going to be.  Hornresp is free, and the linked thread above will give you all the horn parameters that you need to do your own evaluation of the relative merits of each driver.  I've learned that low Fs and medium-high Qts, like that of the K-33 used today, seems to provide the most power output vs. frequency without the driver becoming too expensive or the sound quality of the bass performance otherwise deteriorating.  The relative values of the K-33 are a good place to start.  If moving away from those K-33 T/S values, I'd offer that you're taking more and more risk in the results. 

Some people like lots of midbass power output up in the higher frequencies, others like low frequency bass output, and still others like low distortion output.  While there is no single measure or group of measures to ensure low distortion, I've found that the K-33 parameters are fairly close to optimal for the Klipsch Heritage loudspeaker models that the driver found in.  Understand that these bass horns are fairly complex, not the least of which is the relative area of the compression slot and the geometries of the horn folds. 

Chris

• Like 1