Looking for locals with cornwalls.

jkull

This is my first post on here, so hello forum. I am currently considering revamping my 2channel stereo setup. I started this hobby in audio with my setup designed for HT and 2 channel.  Music has superceded the HT needs so much that i have moved my system into its own room for listening and simply picked up a soundbar and sub for HT which does perfectly fine.  It is the music that matters to me anymore. I am a long time musician with music being a large part of my life, so this comes as no surprise.

Anyhow. Im considering investing in a tube amp, in which case i would be want to replace my current speakers with higher sensitivity speakers so that i do not lack headroom, and thus dynamic range.  I love the allure of tubes. I love the character of tubes. My current system is very transparent, however, perhaps i would enjoy tubes, through horn loaded speakers, perhaps it would improve my musical listening experience furthermore...I have played guitar for years and play through tube amplification. I happen to heavily dislike solid state guitar amps.. Tubes just do it for me. I acknowledge how different guitar amplification in its purpose, is from hi-fi/home audio etc....  My current speakers are 90db. This has landed me here, with the knowledge of many klipsch speakers being designed with high efficiency and sensitivity.  I am pondering a pair of cornwalls.  However, i do not believe there are audio stores locally that have the heritage series out for display in anyway.  I would love the ability to hear a pair of cornwalls in person, preferably amplified by a tube amp/s.  If there are any locals within appropriate distance, or members on here who know of any others who may have cornwalls at their home, i would heavily appreciate the favor.  I am located in turnersville, nj.  For those who are unfamiliar, it is southern jersey, 35 minutes from atlantic city, 15 minutes from philadelphia.   Thank you very much.

My current set up is:                              What I am considering:

2 x emotiva xpa-1 monoblcoks             Mc275 or Dynamo St-70 or 120  (i admit i am heavily turned off by the use of PCB in them.  in the guitar amp world, we shun this lol)

marantz 7701                                         primaluna dialogue or prologue (all point to point. sigh of relief)

oppo 105                                                klipsch cornwalls  

b&w cm10 towers

svs pb13-ultra

vpi classic 2

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Based on the title of your post, I understand that your first inclination is to acquire Cornwalls.  Have you experienced any of the other Heritage speakers, (La Scala, Khorn, Heresy), or any of the "extended Heritage" (Chorus, Chorus II, Forte, Forte II, etc).  What type of music do you most enjoy and at what levels?  Size and setup of your room?  This info will help other forum members to discuss.  If you have good corners in your room where you could situate speakers, Klipschorn's are highly recommended, as well as La Scala's, especially with your excellent SVS sub and source gear.

I have lots of family close to you, in Medford and Delanco, and will be driving out there for Thanksgiving.

32 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Based on the title of your post, I understand that your first inclination is to acquire Cornwalls.  Have you experienced any of the other Heritage speakers, (La Scala, Khorn, Heresy), or any of the "extended Heritage" (Chorus, Chorus II, Forte, Forte II, etc).  What type of music do you most enjoy and at what levels?  Size and setup of your room?  This info will help other forum members to discuss.  If you have good corners in your room where you could situate speakers, Klipschorn's are highly recommended, as well as La Scala's, especially with your excellent SVS sub and source gear.

hi jim. i have not experienced any heritage speakers at all honestly.  however, from what i have read, the cornwalls seamed to be the most fitting. I understand that they are all around good in all frequencies, and display good bass abilities as well.  Answering your question, i do have a dedicated room. I have 2 corners for utilization yes. It is a 14x16ft room. Not excessively large, not excessively small. I have read some arguing that the cornwalls need larger rooms, however i have read threads on her stating that they actually sound wonderful in rooms of the size i have, by many.  I listen to a wide variety of music. I listen to lots of acoustical string work, cello work, classical, jazz, some experimental music, female vocal artists, soft rock (pink floyd, minus the bear etc.), and of course, i have to mention, a lot of heavy stuff. When i say heavy I'm generalizing, so to be specific, we are talking everything from stoner/sludge stuff, to speed metal like slayer.  I lot of my vinyl collection is consumed by heavier music in fact. What you generally won't find me listening to often is hip hop or edm/dance party music.  I appreciate a wide genre of music, however i am very particular in each genre.  Sorry for being overly particular in my descriptions lol.  And yes medford is only about 30 mins from me

Actually, the more particular the better....it helps.  Some may not agree, but your room might be a bit small for Khorns, but in my opinion, just right for La Scala's, and with your sub, a pair of La Scala's would rock your world...Nothing against Cornwalls of course, they are great speakers, and I have a pair, but I am continually amazed at the realism and presentation of my La Scala's.  I would highly recommend you seek those out as well for a listen.

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Actually, the more particular the better....it helps.  Some may not agree, but your room might be a bit small for Khorns, but in my opinion, just right for La Scala's, and with your sub, a pair of La Scala's would rock your world...Nothing against Cornwalls of course, they are great speakers, and I have a pair, but I am continually amazed at the realism and presentation of my La Scala's.  I would highly recommend you seek those out as well for a listen.

i would be open to hearing them as well. The la scala's are a bit out of budget at the moment from what I'm seeing online however.  There are a few pairs of cornwalls online for a great cost right now, in which if they did not wow me, it would not be a significant 'hit' to take so to speak, if you get me... There is a nice pair of cornwall 2's on eBay right now that i am watching. I can have this delivered to me for a decent price.   I listen from low volumes, up to moderately loud volumes.  I will listen to orchestral pieces and cello/bass pieces at louder volumes.  If i play 'heavier' music too loud, sometimes i feel the sound becomes, idk, so so.  sometimes it sounds better lower. I don't think i should feel that way however lol..... I think that is part of my desire to explore.

i will add, i like the look of the heritage line.  our home is very traditional in its styling.  large trim, warm hardwood floors, anything but modern. So the 'appearance' of the heritage speakers heavily fit.  it doesn't hurt..!

My preference is for a CW1 over a CW2 because I like to access the internals by removing the back instead of going thru a hole in the motor board.

If you love orchestral music and can swing it, you should really try and get a la scala... the difference is fairly significant although the cornwall is a magnificent speaker.

The guy selling this tube amp has Cornwalls and KG3s with which to demonstrate it.  In fact, he wants to sell the latter as well; and if you hear the combination you will bring them home and save yourself a huge amount of money!  No affiliation, but I'm the person who restored the amp and it is very impressive (and I don't normally like push-pull amps).  Good luck with your search---

Maynard

http://cnj.craigslist.org/ele/5825308801.html

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

My preference is for a CW1 over a CW2 because I like to access the internals by removing the back instead of going thru a hole in the motor board.

If you love orchestral music and can swing it, you should really try and get a la scala... the difference is fairly significant although the cornwall is a magnificent speaker.

Thanks. Here is my situation. I prefer to locate whichever speakers, used. It is hard to find individuals willing to ship these large heritage line speakers. There do happen to be a pair or two of cornwalls available at the moment, available for local pickup OR shipping.. the particular pair in specific are cornwall 2's, with the horns going vertical.  I just hope that i would be making a move into a direction in which i would enjoy the sound more, in comparison to my cm10's...

7 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The guy selling this tube amp has Cornwalls and KG3s with which to demonstrate it.  In fact, he wants to sell the latter as well; and if you hear the combination you will bring them home and save yourself a huge amount of money!  No affiliation, but I'm the person who restored the amp and it is very impressive (and I don't normally like push-pull amps).  Good luck with your search---

Maynard

than you. do you know this guy personally. is he looking to sell his cornwalls by chance, or just the speakers listed in his listing.?

7 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

He told me that the Rectilinear speakers are sold.  I doubt he would part with his CWs, but you can at least hear them with a very good quality tube amp so you can make some judgments of your own.  But, if you hear the combo of that Zenith amp with the KG3s you will be extremely impressed.  Given how close he is to you, it's worth the drive even if you don't buy anything.

Maynard 

I think you will find the sound you are looking for with a nice tube amp and any of the big Heritage Klipsch.  I've owned all of the Heritage and the Khorn is the best, but the Cornwall comes in second for me.  Yes, the La Scala / Belle have a cleaner lower end due to the bass horns, but the Cornwall goes lower and my ears preferred that trade off,  I started with Cornwalls and dreamed about La Scalas for  years.  When I finally got some, I realized I liked the Cornwalls better, albeit not by a large margin as La Scalas are also great.

For tubes get VRD's!  http://www.nosvalves.com/vrd.htm Not sure if Craig still offers discounts but you should talk to him.

Your tube amp journey will be completed!  If you can't swing VRD's then you might consider vintage such as Fisher or HH Scott.  It is unreal how good the sound can be from 50+ year old equipment that has been rebuilt/recapped!  Tubes do kind of have their own flavor... think Marshal vs. fender.  VRD's are clean, clear, and have a low end that has a surprising strength!  Not flabby at all like some tube amps tend to be.    

La Scalas are wonderful and the horns are ultimately slightly more realistic sounding.  Mine benefited from adding braces to the cabinets to limit resonance.  Cornwalls dig deeper and you may or may not prefer them.  You can't go wrong either way!  It's just a matter of what you like.  My answer was to buy both!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, muel said:

For tubes get VRD's!  http://www.nosvalves.com/vrd.htm Not sure if Craig still offers discounts but you should talk to him.

Your tube amp journey will be completed!  If you can't swing VRD's then you might consider vintage such as Fisher or HH Scott.  It is unreal how good the sound can be from 50+ year old equipment that has been rebuilt/recapped!  Tubes do kind of have their own flavor... think Marshal vs. fender.  VRD's are clean, clear, and have a low end that has a surprising strength!  Not flabby at all like some tube amps tend to be.    

La Scalas are wonderful and the horns are ultimately slightly more realistic sounding.  Mine benefited from adding braces to the cabinets to limit resonance.  Cornwalls dig deeper and you may or may not prefer them.  You can't go wrong either way!  It's just a matter of what you like.  My answer was to buy both!

thank you.  if i decide to go the cornwall route, I'm 90% certain i will be going with primaluna.  you can't argue them..   and after heavily researching mc275s and the parts used, its sort of embarrassing for mcintosh..  in my opinion..  for the reputation they carry and the hollywood parties the company throws, they don't even point to point wire their flagship tube amp.  there i said it

14 hours ago, muel said:

Just did some research about these.  Now I am thinking..... I'm intrigued.    Sending pm your way. 

19 hours ago, jkull said:

thank you.  if i decide to go the cornwall route, I'm 90% certain i will be going with primaluna.  you can't argue them..   and after heavily researching mc275s and the parts used, its sort of embarrassing for mcintosh..  in my opinion..  for the reputation they carry and the hollywood parties the company throws, they don't even point to point wire their flagship tube amp.  there i said it

In that price range, I'd also take a look at the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. I tried the primaluna and have the Rogue. The primaluna was a bit warmer sounding, but it was just way too noisy for me. The Rogue is significantly quieter, seems to have more bass punch, and is amazingly detailed.

I run my tubes on my Altec 19s, which are 100db - just about the same as Cornwalls.

9 hours ago, Grizzog said:

In that price range, I'd also take a look at the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. I tried the primaluna and have the Rogue. The primaluna was a bit warmer sounding, but it was just way too noisy for me. The Rogue is significantly quieter, seems to have more bass punch, and is amazingly detailed.

I run my tubes on my Altec 19s, which are 100db - just about the same as Cornwalls.

100w per channel is quite impressive for the cost.  i will research the amp right now.  

my concerns:

-i want to see if it is all point to point.  (i refuse tube amps with PCB. Its a personal thing)

- transformers look a little smaller than what is found on the lower power primalunas.....

-love the fact that it has a 44db phono amp built in.

so it had a nicer overall sound than the primaluna huh?  can i ask which primaluna model you were listening to? were they monos, or intergrateds or?

time to do some reading.  thank you for the recommendation!

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I believe the Rogue amps are mostly PCB mounted parts.

EDIT - Definitely is

Bruce

MAGIIINSIDE-MED.jpg

Bruce. Thank you for that. I did see that they have PCB. Now i know we are all in this for the sound. For the end result, as the enjoyment of music. I have been a guitarist for a long time and can tell you 100% in every situation i have only preferred tubes. To this day I own 3 marvelous beautifully constructed tube amps. A 1970 amp V4 with the original magnavox 7202's which sound marvelous. It is my holy grail amp in so many ways. I also have my 77' Marshall JMP with 6550's all point to point. Lastly my vintage sovtek mig 60 which is an amazing russian built point to point amp. Sure my V4 has SOME PCB but it is quite different than PCB by todays standards..  I am familiar with tube amps and admirable qualities in the guitar world so to speak.  I admit that my heavy preference for tube amplification in the world of guitar amps is a factor in the desire to explore them in this avenue.

I just watched a video of the founder of Rogue, who seems like  great guy who enjoys bringing quality to this market at an extreme budget. I also see they are all american built and under 2 hours from my home in fact. It is not enough to make me finalize my decision for a rogue, but none the less, are nice points.  With the COST of the rogue, and all of its features, i can see past the fact that there is PCB. In something like a MC275 on the other hand, not so much. $5500 for a tube amp with poor looking guts under the hood, and PCB?  I just can't see past that.  

What I have concluded thus far:

The primaluna is a very warm and smooth amp. A wonderful sound, and truly of the best build quality. The guts are of superb quality and cleaner than any tube amp I've seen. By far. Hand wrapped, huge bandwidth transformers. Well priced for what you get, no question. They are said to outdo tube amps 2-3x their price by very renowned reviewers in the audio world. There is nothing you can bash about these amps on paper or in physical capacity.

The Rogue CM 2 is well built as well. An 'all in one' piece. I love that, but also dislike it. Hmm.  A phenomenal value. Much reviews give it a great review in its sound presentation

I appreciate the input from all members above. Im a new guy on here and am finding that i like this board already.