Looking for locals with cornwalls.

jkull

On 10/22/2016 at 9:37 AM, Marvel said:

I have a pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog amps, definitely point to point. 3.5 watts. They aren't made any more, as a kit or assembled. The work great with my LaScalas.

Bruce

Welborn Labs 2A3 Moondogs_sm.jpg

Those are beautiful looking valve amps if I  may say so.

Update: 

Found a nice pair of original raw birch lascalas nearby. I went to the sellers house and listened to them for a bit, spread about 10-12 feet apart with a line magnetic tube amp with gold lion kt88's driving them. First impression?  Excellent imaging. It stood out immediately. The separation in the instruments was beautiful.  The bass, at least in this room, and with his setup, was fine really.  No sub, just the lascalas. There was enough.  I don't really listen to hip hop but I listen to a lot of heavy music that requires balls and these seem to handle it fine as I put 'converge' on for a bit.  It was very musical and spacious.  None the less I have a SVS pb13 that I would let handle bass duties anyhow.  I did notice that the speakers are a little bit beamy but that's ok on my small room, as long as am floating in the sweet spot, so be it. Wouldn't bother me.

-I suppose what I was hearing was the difference in tubes and klipsch speakers vs my totally solid state and cone driven cm10's.. my system delivers plenty of thump, drive, power, and 'fullness', but not the spaciousness and imaging that this tube/horn speakers combo did...To me, especially listening to say Spanish acoustic guitars, jazz, etc., this makes for more enjoyment. The setup was more revealing and raw I suppose. 

-I am still deciding if I am going to make the leap to the lascalas.  It's a full revamp if I do so, making the decision harder.  If I grab them, I would be grabbing tube amp monos (primaluna, decware as options) and likely replacing my marantz 7701 pre with a tube pre soon after etc, slowly converting to an all tube setup.  I'm back and forth back and forth....

My old room was about 12 1/2 ft wide, 21 ft deep. I sat a out 15-16 ft back. Imaging was superb and for me the bass was very satisfying. Jazz and other acoustic music was like sitting a a good club listening to the performers.

New pair I am refurbishing are going in room that's 21x23 w/10ft ceiling. Been working on them off and on but stalled at the moment... :angry:

Bruce

Well to bad I live in TX.  I have a 5.3 system with Cornwalls (the 5 part), SVS subs (the .3 part) and a Fisher 500B that always powers the front mains.  I really enjoy the sound!

Oh since we are sharing pictures I attached a picture of the underside of my clearly non PCB Fisher amp :)

IMG_0808[1].JPG

On 11/1/2016 at 5:43 PM, eq_shadimar said:

Well to bad I live in TX.  I have a 5.3 system with Cornwalls (the 5 part), SVS subs (the .3 part) and a Fisher 500B that always powers the front mains.  I really enjoy the sound!

Oh since we are sharing pictures I attached a picture of the underside of my clearly non PCB Fisher amp :)

IMG_0808[1].JPG

Lot going on in that thing!  No PCB, thumbs up.   

Meanwhile.   My current considerations.  Lascalas vs fortes.  As a local pair of each are available.  My other outlying option is to grab a pair of harbeth speakers and continue running my SS amps.... Im all over the place here :/

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Did I hear someone say get the La Scala's???  Forte's don't hold a candle to La Scala's.

My only concern was the low end.   I do also listen to a lot of hardcore/punk/metal/crustpunk, and was just a bit concerned than a cone bass driver might be better as on the forte.  I just pictured the forte producing chunky bass that could possibly enable me to pull my sub from my setup as it reaches to around 32hz while the lascalas as i understand have their beautiful midrange, and fast, accurate bass, I'm afraid they might lack it overall..?