RS-10 a good match tonally with RB-3 RC-3?

MychaelP

Slowly I've changed my system to Klipsch, and the last items are the surrounds. My old Polks are beginning to fall apart, meaning it's time to match up with the Klipsch I've added to the system via garage sales. My neighbor has a RS-10 for sale, and the sizing appears to be pretty good for what I have available. 

How tonally matched are the RS-10 to the RB-3 and RC-3? I've also considered RB-10's instead since they can easily be re-purposed in some other system.

I also have a pair of older B&W 601's but they simply are much too big to hang on my wall and not have my wife kill me.

comments are appreciated

The proper match would be the RS-3's.  I would encourage you to look at the RS-25 or RS-35 if they are not available.  However, I've seen the RS-3's readily available at about $175 a pair.  The 10 series was a weak one in many ways.  Even the RC-3 (arguably the weakest link in the 3 chain) would stomp on them.

17 hours ago, IbizaFlame said:

The proper match would be the RS-3's.  I would encourage you to look at the RS-25 or RS-35 if they are not available.  However, I've seen the RS-3's readily available at about $175 a pair.  The 10 series was a weak one in many ways.  Even the RC-3 (arguably the weakest link in the 3 chain) would stomp on them.

Thank you for your comment. Can you tell me where the 10 series was noticeably weak? I was leaning towards that speaker due to it's small size and ease of installation. If it's bass, I plan on keeping the receiver setting at "small" and have my sub handle it. 

I look forward to hearing further about this item.... thank you again

The 10 series tended to sound muddy by comparison, sloppy bass and substantially weak in power handling.  The RC-3 - as I said was the weak link - has similar issues when paired with the rest of the speakers in its series.  You would be better off seeking an RS-41 than an RS-10 - if size is your issue.  The 10 series was the first time Klipsch rolled out 4" drivers in its Reference line - as such, I give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a test run.

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

The 10 series tended to sound muddy by comparison, sloppy bass and substantially weak in power handling.  The RC-3 - as I said was the weak link - has similar issues when paired with the rest of the speakers in its series.  You would be better off seeking an RS-41 than an RS-10 - if size is your issue.  The 10 series was the first time Klipsch rolled out 4" drivers in its Reference line - as such, I give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a test run.

Thanks again for the input. I've been reading up, and it might be best to go with something directional rather than dispersed for when I upgrade to ATMOS. I'll need to check out the features of smaller RB speakers that can be wall mounted where it won't matter about any potential back port it may have.

If Atmos is your drive, then you are correct.  Most of the smaller Klipsch speakers will be rear firing.  I believe at the 6" driver level they have front-firing solutions.  Look at the RB-25, 35, 61, and 81.  Of course, if it's surround duties, you might be able to use the RB-15 or 41 too.

45 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

If Atmos is your drive, then you are correct.  Most of the smaller Klipsch speakers will be rear firing.  I believe at the 6" driver level they have front-firing solutions.  Look at the RB-25, 35, 61, and 81.  Of course, if it's surround duties, you might be able to use the RB-15 or 41 too.

Great suggestions... I will keep searching for a pair of used speakers for a good deal. Very helpful to know what will match closely with what I currently have. I was able to get the RB-3 pair and RC-3 for $150 total and absolutely love them. In a way I'm glad my old Polk surrounds have fallen apart, as I can now get a matching system, and maybe add a module in the future for the ATMOS.

thanks again,

That is a heck of a deal.  The RB-3's are underrated speakers and will serve you very well.  They might actually play nicer with the RC-3 than the RF-3's, so you may not notice any lacking there.  I did not have my RB-3's paired with either RC-3 when I owned them, and have only paired RF-3's with them.