Getting my Belle's crossovers rebuilt.

Rxonmymind

Sent off to Al yesterday as a birthday present to myself to have them rebuilt. In a perfect world I'd like to buy the same oil in cans unfortunately that's not possible
I'll update this when I get them & broken in. Coincidentally that should be around the time I get my newly restored receiver back.
Should be interesting to hear how different the sound will be.
  • Like 1

Sent off to Al yesterday as a birthday present to myself to have them rebuilt. In a perfect world I'd like to buy the same oil in cans unfortunately that's not possible

I'll update this when I get them & broken in. Coincidentally that should be around the time I get my newly restored receiver back.

Should be interesting to hear how different the sound will be.

What receiver and who's restoring?

16 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

What receiver and who's restoring?

14 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Exactly!

Marantz, Mac, Sansui?

HB

I have two that I sent off. My Sony STR 7055 (sent back TWICE as grimlins popped up) and Marantz 2500. 

The Marantz is being done by Mr. Buckner. He has several under his belt and some outstanding threads. It's certainly not a job for the faint of heart.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/marantz-2600-refurb-thread.697921/

The Sony is being done by Mr. Bergstrom. 

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-marantz-2500-transformer.724686/page-2#post-9842381

Knows his stuff! Great guy to deal with.

Now with the crossovers in the hands of Al (excited baby!) my living room is silent.:wacko: 

Luckily my bedroom one is still going. Woohoo! 

• 2 weeks later...

Got around to getting some air time with these. Decided to pull out the Realistic 2100D from the garage. Taking into account that the Realistic is a tad "faster" than the Sony I can tell you these crossovers are running "hot". Granted this is the first hour burn in but several things come forward very quickly from the Belle's. Everything is tighter more forward & crisp. Reminds me of Focal speakers on steroids. Warm & laid back they are NOT.
My ears hurt. This is on low volume.
Definitely NOT like the old oil in cans.
I'll let these play out during the week give them time to burn in. Maybe 100+ hours they'll settle down.

Belles or any horn driven Klipsch speaker has the ability to cut you in half with the wrong front end. And for me a Realistic or Sony solid state amp would fit that bill. Those Belles ain't gonna be laid back with either of those amps running the show. That for me is the root of your Belles not being "laid back". Far more than your choice of crossovers. My opinion of course and take it for what it's worth. One hundred or one thousand break in hours on the crossovers hours ain't gonna "lay" back the Realistic or Sony. 

I knew going into this the Realistic was not a match for the current crossovers. It's too fast & hard of a receiver. It's as if the receiver is impatient to get to the next note in the song. This is why it got soundly beat by the new old stock Sony STR 7045 and it's brother the 7055 and it resides in the garage. The Sony holds back just a little and patiently plays each note and hangs there for a second. This was verified by songs with echos such as songs with walking in a tunnel, drum sticks, snap fingers. Even my wife noticed the difference between the Sony sound and Realistic sound.

Having said that the crossovers are fine. The problem yesterday lay in the streaming service Google play. A first. Slap me silly but for some odd reason that hour it decided to only stream in highs & mids on songs and the ones that had bass only came out as "bloops". It sounded like CRAP. 

I decided to go take a nap and on the way to work try to listen to Google Play in my car. It didn't sound too well in there either. I turned the phone off and on as well as the head unit in the car.  Finally about a third of the way into my commute Google Play decided to stream in full spectrum sound. Beautiful. My entire car was shaking with mid woofers firing and solid bass. Stupid updates wrecking my phone!

Came home today to test the speaker's again and Google Play seem to work properly. I also decided to play a CD which came out beautifully. 

The best I can describe the sound is everything is tighter more focused and it seemed a little bit more separated between the bass & the rest.

Plucked guitar string sound like guitar. The workmanship on the crossovers is excellent.  Each solder joint looks like a tiny dewdrops. I'm grateful to Al providing this service. If any of you are hesitating to get these crossovers don't think twice. It's as if I got new speakers!

Now waiting on the low powered Sony to run the Klipsch. Just a hunch, but it'll be a better pairing.

Thanks for the read.