Cornwall Help with Grills

DaMuffinMan

I recently came the proud owner of some 1983 Vintage Cornwall Speakers.

I need to replace the Cane grills on these. I have looked around for some more cane but can't find any?

Is there any out there or should I go with different grills?

Another thought I had was to put these away and build a brand new one with a black fabric, what is a good stock looking black fabric for these

and what is a good wood etc to use for the frames?

cornwall.jpg

cornwall 2.jpg

cornwall 3.jpg

cornwall a.jpg

17 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Is the small hole the problem? 

If so then here is an idea:  If you can't see it it doesn't exist, RIGHT? :P  SO then repair it using E6000 and same colored and diameter  straw  doing careful work to make it match the original as closely as possible.

I like your Thinking, are you referring to this glue https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amazing-E-6000-Craft-Glue-2-oz/17808713

Where would I find this? " same colored and diameter  straw  ".

The small hole and the general saggy look of them.

cwall a.jpg

You can cut new grill frames from 3/16 Masonite available at home depot.

Replacement black cloth in the size you need is available from Bob Crites. www.critesspeakers.com

You can remove the original came cloth, clean and reinstall on new grill frames, but it is tedious, and could end up

ruining the cane if you are not careful.

HB

Agree with Honey Badger. When I removed the black grille material it was not in any condition to re-use. The material was so old and brittle that it would have looked like garbage.

The frames are easy to make if you keep the existing frames and use as a guide. I made 2 or 3 sets when I did mine and sold a couple of them to other board members for their projects. It took about 30 mins or so to cut a stack using a table saw, jig saw, and flush trim router.

Choosing the replacement cane is tough. I thought klipsch posted a link to where a respectable replacement could be purchased...

• Like 1

Sagging could be a problem. If you flip the grille with fabric up, I'd press down on the cane to see if gluing will actually help. Meaning, if you push it down does it look like it would lay flat or have waves? If it would lay flat I'd flip it and apply some adhesive (maybe contact cement) and add some weight, making sure the cane surface lays flat.

Disclaimer: I sold my Cornwalls before i could have done this myself. You might not be able to do much depending on sag and pliability on old cane.