If You Want

oldtimer

We had a mildly political topic here that ventured too far from "safe" and it was locked.

Another poster started up another mildly political thread, and I think due to the first one bombing out, was locked almost immediately.  If you find that second locked thread you will see the reference to the word "English."  It wasn't that bad but you know how some of us (OK, me) have a bad habit of not self-regulating.  :rolleyes:

IMO Mods are putting out fires before they even start.  They are well within our posting guidelines to do that and again IMO the locks were perfectly appropriate.

So we are moving on.  :cool:

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

To be English then go there. 

George III was German, both his parents were born there as I recall, and that line remains to this day.

Hanover to

Saxe-Gotha

to

Windsor to hide the German reference during WW1

So technically it would be if you want to German,, than go there.

If the Jacobite's regain power, who were at least Scottish, then we would be speaking . . . well, German, as Franz of Bavaria is the heir if the Jacobitesite regain power.

So if you want to go back to hapoy days under GIII you go to the German line, and you had better not be Catholic, but that's a whole 'nother story inappropriate for here.

They have lost, or given up most of their empire, some of which remain Constitutional Monarchies like Belize, Canada, etc.  

They did manage to hang on to some pretty cool islands, and of course Gibraltar.

So if I had to  "go back" to be English and I could get Bermuda, or Cayman Islands or Monserat I think I might take that deal, as long as I had access to an American dentist.

Have you seen their teeth?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So if I had to  "go back" to be English and I could get Bermuda, or Cayman Islands or Monserat I think I might take that deal, as long as I had access to an American dentist.  Have you seen their teeth?

I like to think I know a good amount of history, but you just blew me out of the water!  :cool:

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I like to think I know a good amount of history, but you just blew me out of the water!  :cool:

It is only because my Masters in Law Degree focused on American Constitutional History, and to understand that you have to know British Constitutional History back to the Great Charter.

I can't tell you much about Allepo  or Mexico.  I am just now getting an understanding of the historical overlap of the Inca, Mayan and  Aztec cultures and history.  

I do love history as well, mine has just been a narrow sliver.  Trying to remedy that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

So technically it would be if you want to German,, than go there.

Oh yeah I have been well aware of the royal family's heritage, and laughed about it for years.  The English people don't seem to mind, and there must be an insight in there somewhere.  To suggest that technically by going back to England is actually to be German is of course silly.  The two people's are strikingly different in government and character.  Recently, Germany was rated the number one country to live in regarding business climate and entrepreneurship.(of the first world countries).   They are so good at recycling that the power plants they had built to burn trash into power had to start importing trash from other countries because there wasn't enough in Germany!  They tend to respect the law and the environment more than most, and even have hand signals for apologizing for while driving if they make an error.(in the US we have hand signals for when the other guy makes an error)  So personally, if I wanted to be German, I would definitely go to Germany, not England.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Oh yeah I have been well aware of the royal family's heritage, and laughed about it for years.  The English people don't seem to mind, and there must be an insight in there somewhere.  To suggest that technically by going back to England is actually to be German is of course silly.  The two people's are strikingly different in government and character.  Recently, Germany was rated the number one country to live in regarding business climate and entrepreneurship.(of the first world countries).   They are so good at recycling that the power plants they had built to burn trash into power had to start importing trash from other countries because there wasn't enough in Germany!  They tend to respect the law and the environment more than most, and even have hand signals for apologizing for while driving if they make an error.(in the US we have hand signals for when the other guy makes an error)  So personally, if I wanted to be German, I would definitely go to Germany, not England.

I misunderstood.  I thought your post was in reference to someone else's prior suggestion of returning to the rule of George III, and presumably his lineage.

That lineage is most definitely German, and George III was most definitely made to understand by his parents he was German.  His wife, Queen Charlotte, was born in Germany and only spoke German when they were married.  George III inserted himself, at the urging of Queen Charlotte, asserted England into the affairs of Germany, most notably the War of Bavarian Succession.

Going back to George III doesn't take you back to the "English" to do that you have to go back to 1065, just prior to William the Bastard and the Normans taking back control.  In 1066 the King's "English" became French.

My point was addressing the previous post, which I may have mistakenly assumed you were referring to with your thread.  Going back to the monarchy of George doesn't bring you back to the English.  

Maybe he should have selected Henry VIII as the example?  That still doesn't get you to the language of English, the King's English in the Tudor Era, especially in the courts of law was, French.

You simply can't go back.  You can move, relocate, learn a new language, whatever.  People are people, and there are more important factors than what language they speak or where they happen to be born.  Moving somewhere to be something else, or to remain something, is as silly as going back to rule under George III.

Your knowledge of Aleppo will start back to about 2400bc.  Due to it's location and age it has seen a lot of history and many regime changes.  The center, called the ancient city, is relatively new construction from medieval times and is a declared world heritage site.  There probably isn't much left of it now.