Biggest Shoulder Fired Rifle Caliber

Mighty Favog

Many lives ago I was a Class I firearms dealer and the wonderment occasionally came of what was the biggest out there, In our store, the biggest we could get a hold of was a 460 Weatherby (that and the father of one of our part-timers was the regional Weatherby sales rep). Then came the 700 Nitro Express, etc.

So, the thought came to light this morning to look for anything more current

I want to see the bore brush to clean this thing....probably used on someone's chimney.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xohy9gWz7kk

20 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Many lives ago I was a Class I firearms dealer and the wonderment occasionally came of what was the biggest out there, In our store, the biggest we could get a hold of was a 460 Weatherby (that and the father of one of our part-timers was the regional Weatherby sales rep). Then came the 700 Nitro Express, etc.

So, the thought came to light this morning to look for anything more current:

http://imgur.com/gallery/DuoL5

This is extremely dangerous and irresponsible to shoot a firearm like with without the proper safety gear. Not one of those men had on a Safari hat and I didnt see one china set for tea to sip afterward while discussing the 'natives'...

Image result for safari hat big game hunter

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, twk123 said:

This is extremely dangerous and irresponsible to shoot a firearm like with without the proper safety gear. Not one of those men had on a Safari hat and I didnt see one china set for tea to sip afterward while discussing the 'natives'...

Image result for safari hat big game hunter

375 H&H Magnum or 416 Rigby. :)

30 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I did notice the scope was mounted very forward on that gun which was smart. That would be one hell of a case of scope-eye.

I used a 15 power ultra varmit Unertl scope with the recoil spring on my rifle. No problems with my eyeballs being destroyed.

JJK

Biggest I've ever shot was a semi-auto Barrett .50 cal.  Apparently it's worse than the bolt actions which is the opposite of most guns.  5 shots and $25 later I had a headache due to the concussion for the rest of the day.  Never again.  

4 hours ago, twk123 said:

I did notice the scope was mounted very forward on that gun which was smart. That would be one hell of a case of scope-eye.

I got 17 stitches from scope-eye one time.  Shot a buck but hypothermia snuck up on me so I wasn't thinking very well at all.  I wigged out and shot again too quickly while I had an adrenaline rush and was shaking.  It popped me in the eye and cut my eyebrow open half an inch, but I had no idea.  I literally jumped out of the tree stand from 10 feet up and about busted all the veins in my feet, just felt like I was standing in fire.  I had no idea I was as cold as I was, was kind of disoriented, and even hot.  I wiped what I thought was sweat from my brow, then noticed my hand was all bloody.  I figured it out at that point.  Also at that point I was shaking violently almost on the verge of a seizure.  

BUT, later the same day, I headbutted a guy while playing hockey with no helmet on.  Our feet flew up in the air and it laid us both out on our backs.  When I got up and opened my eyes, all I could see was red.  It literally ripped my eyebrow open from end to end since I had the cut from the scope that was still fresh.  You can't tell anymore because my eyebrow hides it but yeah I had a 2" gash right above my eye.  

19 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I got 17 stitches from scope-eye one time.  Shot a buck but hypothermia snuck up on me so I wasn't thinking very well at all.  I wigged out and shot again too quickly while I had an adrenaline rush and was shaking.  It popped me in the eye and cut my eyebrow open half an inch, but I had no idea.  I literally jumped out of the tree stand from 10 feet up and about busted all the veins in my feet, just felt like I was standing in fire.  I had no idea I was as cold as I was, was kind of disoriented, and even hot.  I wiped what I thought was sweat from my brow, then noticed my hand was all bloody.  I figured it out at that point.  Also at that point I was shaking violently almost on the verge of a seizure.  

BUT, later the same day, I headbutted a guy while playing hockey with no helmet on.  Our feet flew up in the air and it laid us both out on our backs.  When I got up and opened my eyes, all I could see was red.  It literally ripped my eyebrow open from end to end since I had the cut from the scope that was still fresh.  You can't tell anymore because my eyebrow hides it but yeah I had a 2" gash right above my eye.  

That explains a lot Cory.:P

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Damn, at least you have a great story to go with your scope-eye. B) My brother's friend went shooting the first time a few years ago and caught the scope of a 30-06 and got a pretty good ring. He lives in a redneck town and the rest of the day people would smile and nod at him.

The biggest I have ever shot was probably a 3.5'' 00 buck from my Remington 887. It nearly knocked me over and knocked my front hand back so it ejected the spent round all at the same time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185435/remington-express-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-2-00-buckshot-18-pellets-box-of-5

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Damn, at least you have a great story to go with your scope-eye. B) My brother's friend went shooting the first time a few years ago and caught the scope of a 30-06 and got a pretty good ring. He lives in a redneck town and the rest of the day people would smile and nod at him.

That's what mine was, Winchester model 70 30-06.  Same thing Carlos Hathcock used, I shot it for 25 years.  I primarily use a Win 70 .308 now except I have the featherweight barrel, which was an unfortunate mistake because there's not enough metal to mount a silencer.  Considering I hunt with ear plugs in to save them for stereo crap, I don't know what I want to do now.  Winchester 70 "coyote light" in .270 if a silencer will fit on it maybe.  Not sure if you can thread a fluted stainless barrel for silencers or not.  Supposedly .270 is the perfect caliber for Win 70's, plus when ammo runs are going on, .270 is the only thing on the shelf.  Everybody gobbles up .308.  

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70s-in-current-production/model-70-coyote-light.html

I dunno...I tend to go for never-fired/never-issued century-old military rifles, myself.  NOTHING beats going to a range with, say, a pristine "A" series serial-numbered 1895 Ludwig Loewe Chilean 7x57.  Properly "conditioning" its "never had a bullet through it" bore with a dozen rounds (Takes time but is WORTH the effort!)...then shooting 3-shot groups that are just one hole at 100 yards...and listening to all the high-dollar fancy/schmantzy gun guys discuss your shot groups they saw through their spotting scopes and how they wish they had one of what you are shooting!  LOL!

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

You can't tell anymore because my eyebrow hides it but yeah I had a 2" gash right above my eye.  

So what I'm hearing you say is you either have a uni-brow.....or Leonid Brezhnev eyebrows...

:unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Not sure if you can thread a fluted stainless barrel for silencers or not.

Any good gunsmith can thread a fluted barrel...so can a very good machinist...BUT if the barrel OD is already too small for the silencer ID, after  the job is finished, an adapter may be needed to put it all together.  Even if the threads on the fluted barrel tend to take on the appearance of interrupted-threads due to the depth of the pre-existing fluting, a proper crush washer can solve the problem of creating a proper seal for the parts installed onto that barrel...especially desirable for a silencer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coytee said:

So what I'm hearing you say is you either have a uni-brow.....or Leonid Brezhnev eyebrows...

:unsure:

At least at the time... more like Diego Sanchez after UFC 166 except worse.  Can't tell a thing nowadays.  

8 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

So, the thought came to light this morning to look for anything more current:
http://imgur.com/gallery/DuoL5

8 hours ago, twk123 said:

The delayed after-recoil grins of the shooters in the video basically tell me that their thoughts were "Well, now I have to spend a few weeks in shoulder rehab, but it was worth it not to wonder about how bad that thing kicks anymore.  At least nobody can say I wimped out on trying this, though!"  LOL!

The biggest thing I ever shoulder-fired was an M79, which, due to its longer barrel, had more range than the M203, but that extended range had a price, which was paid by the shoulder of the firer, due to the projectile leaving the barrel  AFTER ALL the propellant was burned instead of after ALMOST all of the propellant had burned (as in the M203, with its shorter barrel length!)  Did I like it?  Oh HELLo Yes!  I actually PREFER the M79 to the M203, for a NUMBER of reasons!  Those who got to know both weapons, also know the reasons.