Biggest Shoulder Fired Rifle Caliber

Mighty Favog

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

The delayed after-recoil grins of the shooters in the video basically tell me that their thoughts were "Well, now I have to spend a few weeks in shoulder rehab, but it was worth it not to wonder about how bad that thing kicks anymore.  At least nobody can say I wimped out on trying this, though!"  LOL!

The biggest thing I ever shoulder-fired was an M79, which, due to its longer barrel, had more range than the M203, but that extended range had a price, which was paid by the shoulder of the firer, due to the projectile leaving the barrel  AFTER ALL the propellant was burned instead of after ALMOST all of the propellant had burned (as in the M203, with its shorter barrel length!)  Did I like it?  Oh HELLo Yes!  I actually PREFER the M79 to the M203, for a NUMBER of reasons!  Those who got to know both weapons, also know the reasons.

Lol my favorite was the pensive look of the Marine Vet like he suddenly flashed back to the last time he pulled the trigger on his .338 Lapua.

Recoil.jpg

The Anzio 20 mm rifle may have a slightly smaller bore, but it probably does more damage and is easier to use.  Cheaper to use, too, at only $10 a shot.  It's a regular production weapon, and available in a take-down configuration for your convenience.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Check out how long the bolt pull is in the video.

In use: 

13 hours ago, Islander said:

The Anzio 20 mm rifle may have a slightly smaller bore, but it probably does more damage and is easier to use.  Cheaper to use, too, at only $10 a shot.  It's a regular production weapon, and available in a take-down configuration for your convenience.

This is the reason having good speakers is not always a good thing.  I ran the Youtube vid and when he fired that first bullet it made me jump!  What a report that thing has!  :o

Used to be quite a lot of old "anti-tank" rifles on the market in the early 1960's...some of them were quite powerful...and all of them were capable of being shoulder-fired, but designed to be fired from prone with bi-pod or tripod supporting the fore-end of the weapon...some were even designed to have a soldier's back/shoulders supporting the fore-end of the weapon.  Most of these are WWI thru WWII era weapons...and, in some cases a few years after WWII.

On 10/21/2016 at 4:29 PM, twk123 said:

The biggest I have ever shot was probably a 3.5'' 00 buck from my Remington 887. It nearly knocked me over and knocked my front hand back so it ejected the spent round all at the same time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185435/remington-express-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-2-00-buckshot-18-pellets-box-of-5

A lot of that was probably the gun. :)  My super black eagle II absorbs the bigger 12 gauge stuff pretty well.  

5 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

A lot of that was probably the gun. :)  My super black eagle II absorbs the bigger 12 gauge stuff pretty well.  

Its amazing how much kick the recoil driven semi-auto shotguns absorb. Its kind of cool to feel the recoil travel into the gun and cycle the next shell. On the other hand the 887 is a light 'plastic' pump gun that has a good should pad but still kicks like a mule. I still stand behind it though, the balance and ergonomics are perfect for me while the more classic 870 always felt too "Short". Unfortunately it got a bad rep from some early production issues and they eventually discontinued it

49 minutes ago, twk123 said:

Its amazing how much kick the recoil driven semi-auto shotguns absorb. Its kind of cool to feel the recoil travel into the gun and cycle the next shell. On the other hand the 887 is a light 'plastic' pump gun that has a good should pad but still kicks like a mule. I still stand behind it though, the balance and ergonomics are perfect for me while the more classic 870 always felt too "Short". Unfortunately it got a bad rep from some early production issues and they eventually discontinued it

That is EXACTLY why I prefer a pump shotgun...NO energy that can be used to push the projectile(s) out the end of the barrel is wasted on cycling the action.  PLUS, the natural cycling of the action for the next round puts the shooter RIGHT BACK ON TARGET!  The other part I like about a pump gun is that when I used to squirrel hunt with one early in the season when the trees were still holding lots of leaves and they were cutting hickory nuts, I carried a 3" magnum number 8 load as my second round, instead of having another game load 2 3/4 inch shell.  That way if I needed a bit more reach to get two or three of those squirrels all playing at the end of a limb further out, I could just shuck the chambered round out while replacing it with the next round for extra "distance"....or, in military lingo, max effective range.  My Dad was a shell counter...he would know how many shells I left with and count how many I had when I got home...and how many squirrels I had...I loved to see the look on his face when I had more game than shots fired.  I waited until the leaves got off the trees to hunt with my .22 rifle, simply because Dad liked the heads...and with the .22 there were NO heads for him.

19 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

That is EXACTLY why I prefer a pump shotgun...NO energy that can be used to push the projectile(s) out the end of the barrel is wasted on cycling the action. 

A gas gun might have a tiny bit lower velocity but nothing you'd notice while shooting stuff.  Recoil guns, not so much.  

19 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

PLUS, the natural cycling of the action for the next round puts the shooter RIGHT BACK ON TARGET! 

Do what?  Ideally you wouldn't get off target much in the first place.  If you know how to shoot a semi-auto I can't imagine that a pump would offer any advantages in this regard.  A semi-auto is always going to have faster follow-up shots.  

4 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

.  A semi-auto is always going to have faster follow-up shots. 

Ever wonder why cops are issued pump shotguns?  Same for the military?  Besides, I never worried much about how fast the follow-up shot time was...seldom needed one.  Same goes for my hunting rifles, never have NEEDED a follow-up shot.  That doesn't mean that I don't have more rounds in the magazine, just that I have I never needed them (so far).  As for the pump action putting you right back on target, it does exactly that...because when you allow the recoil to assist with the rearward movement of the slide, when the slide is moved forward into battery, the barrel goes right back onto the target (or where the target WAS!), unless you are already tracking another target as you PUT the gun back into battery.  Plus, with a pump gun, it is much easier to shuck the round from the chamber and switch into that chamber the next round, which comes in handy when you are cross-loading different ammo types, with the possibility of needing the second round ammo type instead of the ammo type already chambered.  Buck or slug, 4 B or 00B, number 8  3" magnum load or Number 6  2 3/4" game load. Buck or small game load...whatever.  I know what I like and how to use it...the way I learned to use it.  What you use or like to use is YOUR choice.  I actually started out with a good auto (age 11-17), but changed over to a pump for those reasons.  Still have both of them, but use the pump.  I prefer the Mossberg 500, simply because it has always done what I needed a shotgun to do.  I use mostly 12 gauge full choke, but for dove hunting I much prefer 16 gauge full choke...and my favorite gun for that is the OLD early Winchester model 12, since you can hold the trigger down and no interrupter to deal with when you pump forward onto the next bird...very helpful when gunning a bunch of white-winged doves flying out of roost low under low clouds in a crowd and funneling through a break in the mesquite on an old unused cotton patch under low clouds in Zapata, Texas area!  LOL!  The only time I ever have sensed a NEED for a sem-auto in my hand, or even a full auto was when it was ME who was being hunted, or when I was hunting those who WANTED TO HUNT ME...or my buddies.  And I have my preferences for what I prefer to have in my hand(s) then, too!  Just saying... 

1 minute ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Ever wonder why cops are issued pump shotguns?  Same for the military?

Are we talking about clearing a house in WWI or something?  Ever heard of a Benelli M4?  Most popular current military shotgun in existence by far.  BUT, to be honest very few cops/military use a shotgun nowadays, if they're doing something that requires a long gun, they're going to grab an AR at the minimum.  Larger cities typically have full autos.  As for the military, typically the only time they use a shotgun is when they want to blow the hinges off of doors.  That's about it.  What the military uses is a poor argument, but if you're going to go with that... Benelli M4.  

13 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

As for the pump action putting you right back on target, it does exactly that...because when you allow the recoil to assist with the rearward movement of the slide, when the slide is moved forward into battery, the barrel goes right back onto the target (or where the target WAS!), unless you are already tracking another target as you PUT the gun back into battery. 

You're talking to a guy that likes to compete in 3-gun here and have shot with many pro shooters.  The ONLY person that I've ever seen that could hold their own against a semi-auto is Bryan Ray, look him up.  Big time WWII fan and pro competitor that gets unlimited free ammo to practice.  Him and a pump can do some damage.  I have yet to see anybody that can hold a candle to him.  I shoot with him at RockCastle, he just makes it look easy but it's just not.  I haven't shot with him but another one is Patrick Kelley, but you're talking about insanely good pros here.  Otherwise it's just not a fair fight.  

Also, look at some videos of a competitor named Greg Jordan.  He uses a Benelli M2 I believe, just stupid fast, the barrel doesn't even really move. You can talk about the pump action getting you back kinda close to the target all you want but I'm talking about the barrel literally barely moving and never really getting much off target in the first place.  

35 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I know what I like and how to use it...the way I learned to use it.  What you use or like to use is YOUR choice.

Once again, see above!  I don't compete, I kill stuff and practice killing stuff so that I remain good at killing stuff...and I have been doing that since age 11.  I am 63 now.  I have EATEN LOTS OF STUFF I KILLED for many years.  But that does not include ALL the stuff, since I abhor cannibalism...and burned-out enemy equipment doesn't taste good.

Here is the reason I like pump guns. I was visiting family in Nebraska a few years ago and it was bitterly cold. My cousin had a recoil operated shotgun that jammed after 3 rounds, we then shot the pumps the rest of the day. Unless you screw it up, its really hard to beat the simple reliability of a pump gun. Combat reloads from rounds on the stock are fun as hell too.

Bryan is also one of the few pros that continues to voluntarily use standard shotgun reloaders as well, most others have switched to load-2 / load-4 carriers.  He is stupid fast with them.  Doesn't seem like much, but, you couldn't do this.  

2 hours ago, twk123 said:

Here is the reason I like pump guns. I was visiting family in Nebraska a few years ago and it was bitterly cold. My cousin had a recoil operated shotgun that jammed after 3 rounds, we then shot the pumps the rest of the day. Unless you screw it up, its really hard to beat the simple reliability of a pump gun. Combat reloads from rounds on the stock are fun as hell too.

That is the same reason you don't use an OILED M-16 (or its derivatives), or machine guns in arctic situations...shoot them dry so that they don't jam from lubrication.  That is also why the Aleut Scouts (back in the day!) preferred the M-14 over the M-16 PLUS the fact that an M-16 was pretty useless when you ran upon an unanticipated ticked-off polar bear, and you couldn't get your snowmobile to start quickly to get out of harm's way!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

That is the same reason you don't use an OILED M-16 (or its derivatives), or machine guns in arctic situations...shoot them dry so that they don't jam from lubrication.  That is also why the Aleut Scouts (back in the day!) preferred the M-14 over the M-16 PLUS the fact that an M-16 was pretty useless when you ran upon an unanticipated ticked-off polar bear, and you couldn't get your snowmobile to start quickly to get out of harm's way!

Only problem I've had with an AR in cold weather is when using heavy grease on the bolt.  It seemed ok when it was warmer but then I put it up for awhile then shot it in very cold weather and the grease gummed up.  It actually still shot but even just charging it you could tell that the bolt carrier had a LOT of friction and just wasn't right.  I stopped using grease afterwards.  Been using M-Pro 7 on everything ever since.  It supposedly lubes down to -85 degrees.  It mostly advertises for rifle use but I'll put it on Glocks, shotguns, and everything else.