FS: Juicy Music Merlin - "Hot Rod" Version

dkalsi

Hi All, 

Available for sale is my Juicy Music Merlin - the "Hot Rod" Version. I bought it here from a fellow forum member. 

It is easily a 9.5/10 on the Audiogon scale. 

Many of you already know how sought after the Merlin is, especially the hot-rod version. 

Why am I selling: 

I had sold my large speaker many months ago and have been using Bamberg 2TM bookshelf speakers for the past several months. The -3db point on the Bamberg is 80hz. Clearly, they were meant to be used with subs. 

I was hoping to use a "Y-spliter" from the Merlin to (i) my main amp, and (i) the Bash500 amp installed in my sub. However, before I even got to that point, I was told by Mark that the Merlin with meant for amplifiers with an input impedance of greater than 50K ohm. That's clearly not an issue when connecting to my Plinius SA-100MKIII (which has an input impedance of 100K ohm), but won't work with my BASH500 amp (which has an input impedance of 20K ohm). I thought about introducing an active crossover in the middle (e.g., the Behringer DCX2496 I currently own) but even the input impedance on that is 20 K ohm. 

So, to get full range sound, I would either have to (i) buy another active crossover, (i) build another subwoofer and utilize an amp with input impedance greater than 50ohm, or (iii) purchase larger speakers again. 

To avoid doing the above and incurring additional costs, I'm now considering the selling the Merlin and going back to my previous preamp.. 

My asking price is $625+shipping. 

Not one iota.  You can even parallel the wires at your amp terminals.  Basically put 2 sets of wires at each terminal.  Run one set to the speakers and one set to the amp.  If you have 8 Ohm speakers and parallel the plate amp in then your amp sees about a 7.9 Ohm load.

• Like 3

I believe so JL Sargent. It moved to another forum member after JWC before I purchased it. 

I might try what CECAA suggested. I'm going to see if I can move my sub back into my 2-channel rig from my home theater. After I learned it couldn't use it with the Merlin as I had planned, I moved the sub into my home theater and continued using my bookshelf speaker without the sub. 

Now I'm curious to bring my 150lbs+ subwoofer back upstairs and try as CECAA suggested.

JBL 1.jpg

• Like 2

CECAA, 

No - haven't tried it yet. After browsing through the various threads here, I'm tempted to put together another full range system. I currently own a pair of Oris Horns (w/ Tang Band drivers) sitting idle. I plan on building bass cabinets for the horns. Will need to introduce an active crossover for that setup. I'm hoping I can find one with an input impedance greater than 50K ohms.

Specifically, I am thinking about building a pair of Jubilee-like bass bins. It will take me well over a year to finish (since I lack the craftsmanship skill so many of the fellow forum members possess). I'll plan on building a quick bass reflex box in the interim (nothing fancy) so I can go back to a full-range setup. Should be a fun project.  

D

• 2 weeks later...

The plate amp adjustable crossover will still be functional for the signal to the sub.

You would need to consult your owners manual to see what happens to the signal from your plate amps high level output.  Manufacturers handle this differently.  I like to parallel my wires and not use the high level outputs on the plate amp personally.

Two things that I will keep... One is the pair of Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps, the second is my JM Merlin preamp. The preamp isn't the hotrodded version, but it, along with the 2A3s are a magical setup with La Scalas.

Good luck, no matter which path you take with them

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Just bumping this thread. Though I am still enjoying my Merlin, I'm hoping to raise some funds for my next purchase (a Laguna 14/12 Bandsaw). As previously mentioned, the Merlin is in 100% functional condition and 99% cosmetic condition (the 1% removed just in case I miss anything). 

Price, as previously mentioned, is $625+shipping. 

I'm willing to take Woodcraft giftcard as partial trade :-)