Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

I've been considering for quite a while now whether I should maybe get KHorns but I am not 100% sure it would be worth it for my room. Right now I have La Scala's and am of course very happy with them but have heard quite a few people say there is a pretty big difference between the La Scala's and KHorns. I do have 2 corners but one of them isn't perfect, there is a pipe that comes out and the Khorns would have to be about 6 inches away from the corner to accommodate the pipe. The other corner is perfect though. 

The main concern I have is the room isn't very big. It's about 21 ft by 18 and I would have to do some serious rearranging to clear up the corners for them. What do you guys think, are they worth it in my situation? What's the smallest room some of you have put Khorns in? 

Will you be keeping the center LaScala?  I guess what are you feeling missing is the real question.  The Khorns are at the top of the food chain for Klipsch Heritage but, they are not necessary to have a great HT.  You have some really killer speakers already.  The presecnce is larger with Khorns and more top detail.  Is this also the music room and how large a screen or monitor is in the room?  There LaScala's with your subs is an excellent front stage. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 0:46 AM, Honeybadger said:

I thought they sounded really good, but you picked the wrong crowd if your shopping Bose.

HB

5 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Forgive me I dont know why my computer is quoting that thing about bose, that's what comes up when I hit quote reply. The site is acting funny for some reason but to answer your question The Khorns have pretty much always been a dream of mine as were the La Scala's before I got them. I am partially looking to have the top of the food chain as the heritage speakers are concerned and also like you said the presence is larger with Khorns which is something I absolutely love. 

I have always loved the large soundstage Klipsch has provided and the largest possible is what I am going for. I would be keeping a La Scala as a center and either moving the other La Scala's to the rear and selling the Chorus's or keeping the Chorus's and perhaps selling the La Scala's that I have as mains right now. I would love to keep everything but I don't know where I would put it all lol! Who know's though I would probably keep the La Scala's and sell the Chorus's. I don't know if I could part with those. 

2 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I would think that it would not be worth it for HT. Usually you cross them over with a sub about the same place the LaScalas start to roll off and the mid/tweeter horns are the same on K-Horns and LaScalas.

Ya, that is one thing I have considered but even though they use the same drivers I have heard the Khorns still sound considerably better through all the thread's I have looked up on this site and all over the internet. I would say 70% of people say the Khorns are a lot better. 

If the Khorns are your dream speakers, then pursue them and you won't have to look back and wonder.  Even though I have big speakers, I am a firm believer that for HT, they are not truly necessary.  Also, once you get past 5.x or 7.x large speakers become a problem in a lot of HT's.  Speakers need separation  to work best in surround application IMO.  To close together equals a more congested sound, decrease spatial imaging.  You don't want to feel like the HT is in the middle of Stonehenge, lol.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I've been considering for quite a while now whether I should maybe get KHorns but I am not 100% sure it would be worth it for my room. Right now I have La Scala's and am of course very happy with them but have heard quite a few people say there is a pretty big difference between the La Scala's and KHorns. I do have 2 corners but one of them isn't perfect, there is a pipe that comes out and the Khorns would have to be about 6 inches away from the corner to accommodate the pipe. The other corner is perfect though. 

The main concern I have is the room isn't very big. It's about 21 ft by 18 and I would have to do some serious rearranging to clear up the corners for them. What do you guys think, are they worth it in my situation? What's the smallest room some of you have put Khorns in? 

What is the pipe in the corner for ?

I found the posts from Derrick and TWK very specific and contain a LOT of insight from such short posts. (meaning, they are not as long-winded as I am :lol:)

I am a relatively new Khorn owner.  My living room is med/small, just as the one you described.  In the past couple of years I have had about 4 completely different sets of speaker setup, including LS as L/R.  I liked the sound from the bookshelf speakers the best for 5.1.

As much as I like the Khorns they are not magic.  Completely independently from what Derrick and TWK have said I have been struggling trying to integrate the Khorns into my various configurations, 3.0, 3.1, and 5.1. so I have come to the same conclusion they did.  They sound OK but I feel like the Khorns are always being held back, that they never get played to their full potential.

When I set my AVR to 2.0 or Pure Audio the Khorns image great and I think they sound the best when played alone.  But going from the LS to the Khorns I did not perceive any great "ah hah" moments.

I don't mean to talk you in, or out of the Khorns as you already know if you buy them for $3K you can resell them for $3K, so the cash outlay is not the point.  I am just trying to share my experience and let you take from it what you will.  Your experience with your speakers in your living room with your AVR may be different.

Khorns - La Scala - CF-4 - DIY kit, Fusion 10 Pure

Khorn 1978 living room IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_3824 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

• Like 2

I don't know about using Khorns in an HT configuration either, cause mine are just 2 channel.  BUT....both La Scala's and Khorns are terrific, just in different ways.  BETTER is a matter of perspective, and what you are using them for.  Highly recommend you try to find a pair of Khorns to listen to before you make the change.  Aaron, just looking at your system signature, I think I would be extremely happy with that setup for HT, especially with your 2 subs.....JMHO

• Like 2

Your opinion came through in THREE separate posts, Budman!

Either you are adamant in your opinion, or we have GOT to get that forum bug fixed.  :lol:

+++

EDIT:  I see later that two of the duplicate posts are gone.  Did they go away on their own or did a Mod clean it up?  Just curious.

I'll hit on something that Not a single person has mentioned. LCR is king in home theater. Period. I don't care what anyone thinks they know. Three matching speakers across the front is the PERFECT front stage. PERFECT panning. PERFECT timbre. Need I say more? Get some khorns for 2 channel down the road. But stay on the LCR train. It's where it's at buddy. ;)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

I'll hit on something that. It a single person has mentioned. LCR is king in home theater. Period. I don't care what anyone thinks they know. Three matching speakers across the front is the PERFECT front stage.

Are you saying your matched L/C/R Bose Acoustimass system is better than my Khorns with mismatched but high quality MTM dual 7" Usher center?

bose-acoustimass-16.jpg

Khorn 1978 living room IMG_4673.JPG

Jest sayin'.  :P

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Budman said:

dude , when you get a set of k-horns and a lascala center you can report back about your LCR

So, how's it feel to be single?  :P

You speak as if I had a choice in the matter of choosing furniture for the center of the living room.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1