Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

On 10/21/2016 at 8:38 PM, dtr20 said:

I hooked up my klipschorns very briefly to my home theater and I was very underwhelmed. This was a temporary hookup because I had very little time when got them. When I hooked them up to a vintage Pioneer receiver, they sounded awesome. I just have my home theater speakers next to the klipschorns. Those are klf-30s near the horns. I highly suggest using klipschorns strictly for 2 channel stereo, you won't be disappointed.

The same thing happened to me -- it wasn't the Klipschorns, it was the AVR.  You can solve this problem with an AVR that has a pre-out for the two front mains.  Send those signals out to you 2-channel amp and bypass the amp in the AVR.  A HT using Klipschorns sounds wonderful when powered by quality amps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

This is the corner in question. I have heard though that they don't need to be 100% against the wall. Is this true? I mean it would only be a couple inches from the wall. 

IMG_0230.JPG

The biggest concern I would have here is the possibility of a water leak and the destruction of your Klipschorns.

Aside from that, Klipschorns would still work and you would still have three out of four good walls to use, so it would still be usable.  The easiest solution would be to just build a false wall. Do a search on this forum for instructions.

• Like 1

The same thing happened to me -- it wasn't the Klipschorns, it was the AVR.  You can solve this problem with an AVR that has a pre-out for the two front mains.  Send those signals out to you 2-channel amp and bypass the amp in the AVR.  A HT using Klipschorns sounds wonderful when powered by quality amps.

I have a very good denon receiver (avr-x6200w)with preouts to a 120 wpc 2-channel amp

I don't know your room dimensions and I probably missed it (kinda scanned the thread), but if I had the room, I'd never go Khorns. ClaudeDJ1 has a great Quarter Pie horn design that'll dig low with better clarity and authority. I have 3 La Scalas across the front but my room is too small otherwise I'd so go for Quarter Pies under the LS. 

And to second Scrappy, if I had even more room, the Cinema line is the way to go for movies. 

3 hours ago, JMON said:

The biggest concern I would have here is the possibility of a water leak and the destruction of your Klipschorns.

Aside from that, Klipschorns would still work and you would still have three out of four good walls to use, so it would still be usable.  The easiest solution would be to just build a false wall. Do a search on this forum for instructions.

+1

Either custom backs or a new wall with a door to hide to pipes and resolve the corner and looks both at the same time. 

On 10/21/2016 at 4:46 PM, Scrappydue said:

I'll hit on something that Not a single person has mentioned. LCR is king in home theater. Period. I don't care what anyone thinks they know. Three matching speakers across the front is the PERFECT front stage. PERFECT panning. PERFECT timbre. Need I say more? Get some khorns for 2 channel down the road. But stay on the LCR train. It's where it's at buddy. ;)

You might not care what anyone else thinks, but a pair of Khorn and a LaScala should be just that. 

• Like 1

smallest room I put khorns in was 16X14, sounded terrible

tried LaScala's and not much better

then belle's, which sounded better, but still not the live sound I was looking for

then Heresey's and felt like I was getting there but not quite

finally tried cornwalls and I think for the 16X14 room, the cornwall was the right fit.

I've heard the Khorn, Belle, LaScala in what I would call a large room 50X25 and they sounded great if you were wihin the sweet spot sitting area.

I've heard LaScala's in 100X300 auditoriums and they sounded great.

I dont think putting khorns in front corners, lascala or belle as center, cornwall or hersey as rear corners makes any sense in a 21x18 room.  

when I demo a pair of any of these full horn loaded speakers I try to place them 26ft apart and have the listener stand 26ft back....with 1 watt of power, they sound live and complete.   in a 21X18 room, you going to need a subwoofer and your sweet spot will be about 6 square inches.

I would use cornwalls in the corners, and herseys in the center and rears if I were you .

my opinion of course.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Does a khorn sound identical to a la scala? If you set them side by side are they the exact same size? 

They are by definition the exact opposite of an LCR. 

Because one wouldn't hear where the bass is coming from, the only difference in the sound would be due to the height difference. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2016 at 10:54 PM, Scrappydue said:

hey budman have you ever heard an LCR setup? if not maybe you can just do a quick google search of it and see why any big high end DEDICATED rooms get lcr speakers. like i said i dont care what you think you know, LCR is better for theater use. 

besides i dont need Khorns or la scalas. i have cinema series, and to my ears and MANY others who have heard them both, mine are superior. sorry

Would you say its better for music too? 

One more thing to mention. How far from the side of the screen are the K horns going to be? One thing I have never liked in HT is speakers too far from the screen as the panning draws your attention away from the movie which might be the case with the K-Horns.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, twk123 said:

One more thing to mention. How far from the side of the screen are the K horns going to be? One thing I have never liked in HT is speakers too far from the screen as the panning draws your attention away from the movie which might be the case with the K-Horns.

That is the case with the Khorns, at least with my Khorns.  The sound is thrown (think anchored) to the outside wall in HT, although with 2-channel they image great with a very strong "phantom center."  In a L/C/R setup I like the L/R to be closer to the outside of the TV.  The Khorn is a very special speaker and to get maximum performance, a lot of thought should go into the setup and implementation.

I need to clarify that nothing I say here should be taken as an absolute.  I use an AVR which is typically considered a  compromise for high-end sound, my seating position is 13 feet which is considered a little close and my living is less than ideal for Khorns.  Whoever is thinking about Khorns should think about how they fit in THEIR listening environment with THEIR amps.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That is the case with the Khorns, at least with my Khorns.  The sound is thrown to the outside wall in HT, although with 2-channel they image great with a very strong "phantom center."  In a L/C/R setup I like the L/R to be closer to the outside of the TV.  The Khorn is a very special speaker and to get maximum performance, a lot of thought should go into the setup and implementation.

I need to clarify that nothing I say here should be taken as an absolute.  I use an AVR which is typically considered a  compromise for high-end sound, my seating position is 13 feet which is considered a little close and my living is less than ideal for Khorns.  Whoever is thinking about Khorns should think about how they fit in THEIR listening environment with THEIR amps.

the sound is thrown to the outside wall. explain