Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

One problem that is hard to overcome, is knowing exactly what you are looking for in the HT.  The closer you are in defining exactly what sound, dynamics and look of the room, the goal will be easier to achieve.  It is easy to pick which speaker is better but, for the HT, everything needs to blend.  This might be a good time to look at  all the gear, room size, room composition and go out and hear as many HT sets as  possible.  Sometimes the only solution is trial and error and the associated cost.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Budman said:

well Aaron, i guess your going to have to get the cinema series speakers because their superior. LOL!!!

Do you know how to have a conversation without getting all butt hurt and acting like a child? How old are you? I'm assuming quite a bit older than me, yet you always seem to have some childish crap to say. Kind of ridiculous. 

20 minutes ago, Budman said:

the sound is thrown to the outside wall. explain

This is VERY clear when you can hear it live, and the AVR has a lot to do with it.

My Onk 717 has a lot of listening modes, one of which is Music Mode and another is Cinema Mode. 

In Music Mode much more of the content is shifted to the L/R on the outside and the voices in the center are much quieter.  With the Khorns that effect is exacerbated with the speakers being all the way on the outside wall in the corner.  Ironically, in 2-channel mode the image is NOT on the outside wall, the sound moves closer to the center.

When listening in Cinema Mode the AVR separates and shifts vocals to the center speaker and the L/R is softer playing more to background musical track.

FYI my Onk listening modes are Theater-Dimensional, Neo-6 Cinema, Neo-6 Music, THX Cinema, Pure Audio, Dolby Digital, Stereo, All Channel Stereo, Mono and at least ten more.  They all have a dramatic effect on how the speakers sound and where the emphasis of sound is centered.

17 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Do you know how to have a conversation without getting all butt hurt and acting like a child? How old are you? I'm assuming quite a bit older than me, yet you always seem to have some childish crap to say. Kind of ridiculous. 

you should get the moderators to move this over to the comedy section.

i don't need klipschorns or lascalas because cinema speakers are superior.      that is childish

• Like 1

On 10/22/2016 at 8:33 PM, Max2 said:

As cheap as you can get them. Beat up cabs makes the price head south quick.  Any K's out there in the $2K range is a steal in most cases, but I have seen them in the 1.5K range occasionally.  Also, don't worry about the corners.  One sheet of quality plywood or MDF will enclose the backs and you can do it by only shooting 2 screws in the side vent supports, 2 in the tailboard supports and not put them in the cabs.  Its a must for me as I can't stand the 45* angle sound of any K setup unless you're 8 to 10 feet off of them or you usable wall is 25-30 feet.  Its very nice to be able to toe them out  to the perfect angle for your seating position.  Even PWK used false walls in his home for what it is worth.

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

Thank you Max

Mark

2 minutes ago, Budman said:

when you had your klipschorns-lascalas-cinema speakers in your home how did you come to the conclusion that your cinema speakers were superior

I've never had them in my

home. 

Never said i did. I've only heard la scalas once. Never even seen a khorn in person. Ever. 

HOWEVER take out your biased opinion of what YOU feel are the best speakers ever. LCR is still the BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO in a home theater if space and everything is available for it. 

On 10/21/2016 at 10:54 PM, Scrappydue said:

hey budman have you ever heard an LCR setup? if not maybe you can just do a quick google search of it and see why any big high end DEDICATED rooms get lcr speakers. like i said i dont care what you think you know, LCR is better for theater use. 

besides i dont need Khorns or la scalas. i have cinema series, and to my ears and MANY others who have heard them both, mine are superior. sorry

this is what you wrote

Correct. The single time I heard la scalas I HATED THEM. They sounded like absolute crap to my ears. I'm thinking if was most likely room, and gear related. However it's all about what the owner likes. And my cinema sound great to my ears. Which I stated there. And also have heard from others that cinema stuff will trounce the heritage gear. Stated that right there also. 

I know I'm late to the party but......................At the last factory tour in Hope we listened to a lot of speakers.  K-horns, Paladiums, RF-7's, etc.  When I left there I decided I wanted to have a pair of the speakers we had listened to that day and started saving for them.  I absolutely fell in lust with their sound.  They were a pair of KI-396's.  They impressed me more than anything I heard at any of our several stops throughout the factory. 

• Like 1

I've heard a lot of good things about those speakers. Bill Hendrix text me about Those along time ago when they first came out. He said they were very nice speakers. I couldn't get over their price though. More than a 904. I know they use the same HF section. Must use a move expensive woofer and network possibly. 

• Like 1