Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

Aaron...a couple of my (meandering) thoughts

My opinion is, if you have the budget for Khorns and the space for them, go for them.  Though the LaScalas are right on their heels, the Khorns use the walls of the room as the final flair of the horn, therefore, (I think) they will 'involve' the room more than the LaScalas.  Meaning, they will pressurize the room better.  They are also slightly bigger horn if I recall.

If you get an AVR and things suck....  I'd look towards the AVR.  I used to have a Yamaha (forget the model number) and though it sounded good, it did NOT sound anywhere as good as my dedicated Yamaha receiver (CR-2040).

If you can afford the price and visual reality of some cinema speakers, those with larger horns will in my opinion, best the Khorn and LaScala.  It's all about that 2" throat if you can deal with the realities of having them.

If you go LaScala route, then look up the JubeScala & do some reading.

In the end, we all know horns are honky.  Therefore, I think we are all racist.

:huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

One problem that is hard to overcome, is knowing exactly what you are looking for in the HT.  The closer you are in defining exactly what sound, dynamics and look of the room, the goal will be easier to achieve.  It is easy to pick which speaker is better but, for the HT, everything needs to blend.  This might be a good time to look at  all the gear, room size, room composition and go out and hear as many HT sets as  possible.  Sometimes the only solution is trial and error and the associated cost.

This is why I posted this earlier.  There is no perfect setup that fits all people or rooms.  Most of the mention speakers on this thread can make for a nice system but, the application must alway be included.  Is this for a dedicated HT, 2 ch, multipurpose, living room, ect.  Sometimes for a particular room, it will take some trial and error to get to the right system.  Unfortunately, it also means spending some coins to get there.

34 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

I've heard a lot of good things about those speakers. Bill Hendrix text me about Those along time ago when they first came out. He said they were very nice speakers. I couldn't get over their price though. More than a 904. I know they use the same HF section. Must use a move expensive woofer and network possibly. 

I used to think the same but they actually don't.  It's the same size but it's a different compression driver.  396 uses a K-691 compression driver, whatever that is, and crossed over at 1 kHz as opposed to what, 900 I think.  Both use the K-510 horn.  I think one reason it sounds different is that the 904's crossover slope is twice as steep.  On yours I could tell which frequencies were coming out of the horn as opposed to the woofers.  The 396 seems to blend together better, and that may explain it in part.  Also in regards to the price, you have to consider the enclosure.  Trapezoid enclosure with a nice grill and several flypoints vs., well, a box.  

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Roy showed us these.  I can't recall the brand.  B and N or something like that?  I think that driver is where most of the expense is.

The DE-75 / DE-750 that's in the 904's is made by B&C.  I don't know what the 691 is.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

Yeah but half the wood, a grill, and a few metal inserts almost double the price of a kpt-325? Seems odd to me. 

Eh, not really.  Gotta compare apples to apples here, or in this case MSRP to MSRP.  

A KPT-325-M consists of a KPT-315 LF unit which is $1,550 MSRP, a KPT-904 HF unit which is $1,250, and a KPT-325 A network which is $200.  All together that is $3,000 for one.  

A KPT-904 is even worse, the LF unit is $2,250.  Combine that with the other two items above, that's $3,700 each.  

In the meantime a KI-396 is $2,600 MSRP.  

On 10/23/2016 at 8:08 AM, RetiredUSA said:

I would use cornwalls in the corners, and herseys in the center and rears if I were you .

my opinion of course.

Not a bad set up, but my HT never sounded quite right with a Hersey center between Cornwalls, and I was not satisfied until I added a center Cornwall. That was a very noticable improvement.  Three Cornwalls in front with Heresy rears makes for a very good HT, especially in a small-ish room.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zim. said:

The 2016 cinema brochure lists the K-691 as a hf driver in the 396 :

"One K-691 3” titanium compression driver
on a K-510 horn"

while the current 904 data sheet says:

"The higher frequencies are handled by the KPT-904-HF, which uses the
KDE-75-8P, 3” titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to the K-691 horn,"

Curious as to what the k-691 really is?

lol that's weird. They just got spec sheets all messed up looks like. 

I originally was was told the 396 was gonna have the same hf as the 325 and 904. Same b&c 3" titanium one. 

5 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Correct. The single time I heard la scalas I HATED THEM. They sounded like absolute crap to my ears. I'm thinking if was most likely room, and gear related. However it's all about what the owner likes. And my cinema sound great to my ears. Which I stated there. And also have heard from others that cinema stuff will trounce the heritage gear. Stated that right there also. 

A lot of difference of opinion

On 10/23/2016 at 9:45 AM, Scrappydue said:

Quick search shows 450hz on new khorns. So can you 110% say with confidence that from 80hz-450 that khorns and la scalas sound EXACTLY the same? Cause I highly doubt they do. 

I'm not going to argue just to argue. I will say that Klipsch made more than one set of speakers for more than one reason. The Klipsch Ultra THX II system that i had didn't have a LCR, it has surrounds too. Too many times i have have had a system sound like chit, and many times I have dialed them in to disappear in the movie and or music. 

All I keep hearing is LCR. What speakers are you saying i should buy. Can I afford them? Are they worth what they cost in comparison? Are they 100% or do they have gaps / holes that don't cover it all, 100%? What's better than those? 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:00 PM, AaronB123 said:

This is the corner in question. I have heard though that they don't need to be 100% against the wall. Is this true? I mean it would only be a couple inches from the wall. 

IMG_0230.JPG

Looks like you already have a Hersey in that corner....a Hersey water meter :D.  But seriously, if that was my HT/listening room, I would consider having a plumber relocate that water line, as opposed to enclosing it in a false wall.

15 hours ago, Seadog said:

Not a bad set up, but my HT never sounded quite right with a Hersey center between Cornwalls, and I was not satisfied until I added a center Cornwall. That was a very noticable improvement.  Three Cornwalls in front with Heresy rears makes for a very good HT, especially in a small-ish room.  

Heck even RF-7s can be made to sound decent if you take a little time and set them up right ;)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Carl, I think a lot of folks don't know how powerful and RF 7/7 II's system really is.  For an HT system, it is hard to beat!

Dave (Seadog) has been over to my house and heard my system.  He has K-horns and know how they sound as well.

• Like 1