Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

I was under the impression that the OP was a music listener as well.  If its all about a big Bam, Boom, Crash for movies, then maybe another sub or a custom build sub might be more suiting. For what its worth, If you want a presentable looking speaker that responds very well with mods and is capable of besting a two way Jub in SQ in a average sized room, then go get your K's.

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Dave (Seadog) has been over to my house and heard my system.  He has K-horns and know how they sound as well.

Carl's system is the best home theater implementation that I've heard, and it is also great for 2-channel music.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Jim, you are formally invited to my house for adult beverages and music.

I don't normally need an invitation, I just show up and make a drink, even if you're not home.....

I was just kidding Carl, I'm just feeling somewhat sarcastic and snarky tonight, especially since the Cubs are getting smoked.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Max2 said:

I was under the impression that the OP was a music listener as well.  If its all about a big Bam, Boom, Crash for movies, then maybe another sub or a custom build sub might be more suiting. For what its worth, If you want a presentable looking speaker that responds very well with mods and is capable of besting a two way Jub in SQ in a average sized room, then go get your K's.

I definitely am a music listener as well. In fact I'd have to say as far as theater goes I am extremely happy with the setup I have now. I am very happy with it as far as music goes too. I think that's one thing a lot of people misunderstood. I am in no way unhappy with the La Scala's I am just now in a position where I may be able to afford some used Khorns and have always wanted to try them so I figured why not give it a shot if the room would be adequate for them. 

It would definitely take a lot of rearranging though. I don't really think it would be worth it for me to go through the trouble of building a false wall I think I would rather just go the plywood route if I did decide to get a pair. 

On 10/24/2016 at 2:34 PM, twk123 said:

One thing I have never liked in HT is speakers too far from the screen as the panning draws your attention away from the movie which might be the case with the K-Horns.

Just voices alone would mess this up.  If a character walks from one side of the screen to the other, often times the voice will follow so sound comes from right behind them.  If the sound was coming out of the far corner, that would just be weird.  

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

To wide of a sound stage can be a problem.  I know with music one side of the piano starts on the right and can end on the left side, lol.  I guess to much of any one thing is not good.

I don't really think I would have that issue because my room is kinda on the small side as it is. Curious what you guys think. I found a pair locally from a guy he says they were manufactured in 1972 they have AK-3 crossovers and he says they are in cosmetically 9/10 condition and working flawlessly. He will not go below 3k I have tried for weeks and he wont budge. I haven't gone to check them out yet because they are like 2 hours away from me so if I go all the way down there I wanna go with cash in hand ready to buy. Do you guys think 3k is a good price if the condition and all that checks out? What do you guys think? Is 72 a good year, are the AK-3's a good crossover? 

I have considered the fact that if I bought them and liked them I could most likely make at least half the money back selling the La Scala's I have so that's definitely a plus.  

1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

I don't really think I would have that issue because my room is kinda on the small side as it is. Curious what you guys think. I found a pair locally from a guy he says they were manufactured in 1972 they have AK-3 crossovers and he says they are in cosmetically 9/10 condition and working flawlessly. He will not go below 3k I have tried for weeks and he wont budge. I haven't gone to check them out yet because they are like 2 hours away from me so if I go all the way down there I wanna go with cash in hand ready to buy. Do you guys think 3k is a good price if the condition and all that checks out? What do you guys think? Is 72 a good year, are the AK-3's a good crossover? 

I have considered the fact that if I bought them and liked them I could most likely make at least half the money back selling the La Scala's I have so that's definitely a plus.  

hey Aaron, you can PM me anytime on any k-horns your interested in. i've owned 7 pairs in the last 25yrs. currently own 2 sets

would have to see pictures of the 72's. they did not come from the factory with AK-3 crossovers. came with A's or AA's. for 3 grand they better be sweet and they better be the B style ( the best looking to me ) and have furniture grade veneer in cherry - walnut and oak - if you like oak. can't have any veneer missing on the front for that price

i don't mind paying a premium if they are close for pickup. the tops come off the bottoms with 2 wing nuts and they will fit in a dodge caravan.

72's should have the pie slice logo's in the top right hand corner and yes they are a great yeat to have. i like all of the but the older the better for me. pie slice logo's ended in 1975 and the laser logo's were 76-77-78

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Budman said:

hey Aaron, you can PM me anytime on any k-horns your interested in. i've owned 7 pairs in the last 25yrs. currently own 2 sets

would have to see pictures of the 72's. they did not come from the factory with AK-3 crossovers. came with A's or AA's. for 3 grand they better be sweet and they better be the B style ( the best looking to me ) and have furniture grade veneer in cherry - walnut and oak - if you like oak. can't have any veneer missing on the front for that price

i don't mind paying a premium if they are close for pickup. the tops come off the bottoms with 2 wing nuts and they will fit in a dodge caravan.

72's should have the pie slice logo's in the top right hand corner

Much appreciated, PM sent.