Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

5 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

I definitely am a music listener as well. In fact I'd have to say as far as theater goes I am extremely happy with the setup I have now. I am very happy with it as far as music goes too. I think that's one thing a lot of people misunderstood. I am in no way unhappy with the La Scala's I am just now in a position where I may be able to afford some used Khorns and have always wanted to try them so I figured why not give it a shot if the room would be adequate for them. 

It would definitely take a lot of rearranging though. I don't really think it would be worth it for me to go through the trouble of building a false wall I think I would rather just go the plywood route if I did decide to get a pair. 

AK-3's didn't come along until '89 I think, so someone has obviously tinkered with them. Get him to text some pics so we can see the cabs and finish. As good as the K's have been built throughout the years, $3K is too much for them unless they have some sort of exotic veneer and are near flawless. A set of K's built in the 90's in Walnut, good condition, maybe, maybe low $3K range.  I'm telling you man, find a cheap beater set and save the money for the mods.

• Like 1

Exact pricing is an inexact art for Khorns of that era.

I consider $3K a fair price for both seller and buyer of late 70's Khorns, in excellent shape, stock AA XO's.  It's up to you to determine if Crites upgrades are value added or not, as many people want STOCK, either for its own sake, or because the new owner doesn't trust someone else's mods and wants to do his own mods.

However the Khorns you are interested in are early 70's and don't have the very desirable AA's, or even the well respected Type A XO's.  That is not a deal breaker, but I agree with others who have said for $3K I would expect the speakers to be in excellent shape and in the exact finish you have been looking for.

IMO the $3K is a fair market price if this is exactly what you want at this time, but if you are willing to be patient, deals at lower price points do come along on a regular basis.  Are you willing to wait 3 months to save (for instance) $500?  That's up to you.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Exact pricing is an inexact art for Khorns of that era.

I consider $3K a fair price for both seller and buyer of late 70's Khorns, in excellent shape, stock AA XO's.  It's up to you to determine if Crites upgrades are value added or not, as many people want STOCK, either for its own sake, or because the new owner doesn't trust someone else's mods and wants to do his own mods.

However the Khorns you are interested in are early 70's and don't have the very desirable AA's, or even the well respected Type A XO's.  That is not a deal breaker, but I agree with others who have said for $3K I would expect the speakers to be in excellent shape and in the exact finish you have been looking for.

IMO the $3K is a fair market price if this is exactly what you want at this time, but if you are willing to be patient, deals at lower price points do come along on a regular basis.  Are you willing to wait 3 months to save (for instance) $500?  That's up to you.

+1

22 minutes ago, Budman said:

+1

On the other hand, you could wait 3 months, and save (potentially) $1500, get the finish you want, the style you want, and have them delivered for free....ask me, I know.

$3K is too high IMHO unless they are superb condition, and in walnut, or cherry, or other more rare finish.  The speakers are 44 years old...I can just about guarantee that you will be feeling the urge to upgrade them before the year is out. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

On the other hand, you could wait 3 months, and save (potentially) $1500, get the finish you want, the style you want, and have them delivered for free....ask me, I know.

$3K is too high IMHO unless they are superb condition, and in walnut, or cherry, or other more rare finish.  The speakers are 44 years old...I can just about guarantee that you will be feeling the urge to upgrade them before the year is out. 

i don't like the word wait. some people wait 40 yrs to get their first set. i know you recently got your 1st set. how long did you wait

just to add - my first set of klipsch speakers back in 1990 was a set of 86 cherry oil k-horns and kept them for 20 yrs

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Thanks Dave.  You're always welcome over.

Thanks Carl, I'll be down that way in the future.  Next time I'll bring some of my choice DVDs and something top shelf to go along with the listening.  Might be hard to match your Weller 12 and Blanton's, but I'll try :)

My 1st pair was in 88, oak, NIB. I sold them in 91 when I changed locations. I "waited" until this year to pick up another pair. 73s that need work, but the price was great. I wish I didn't wait so long, I should have picked up a complete setup with Mc amps 4 years ago. You can wait ponder as long as you want, but ultimately need to make the move or you will wonder forever.

Mark

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Thanks Carl, I'll be down that way in the future.  Next time I'll bring some of my choice DVDs and something top shelf to go along with the listening.  Might be hard to match your Weller 12 and Blanton's, but I'll try :)

Sounds like a plan.

I tend to procrastinate by over-analyzing everything and then losing out on a good deal when it pops up by thinking about it, again!  I've lost really good deals on items I've been looking for by overthinking things.

To me, the secret to get a good deal on CL, this forum or a local deal is to get all that thinking out of the way first and pre-make your decision on what you want and your budget limits.  Then when you see what you've been looking for, pull the trigger immediately and lock up your speaker, amp, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I tend to procrastinate by over-analyzing everything and then losing out on a good deal when it pops up by thinking about it, again!  I've lost really good deals on items I've been looking for by overthinking things.

To me, the secret to get a good deal on CL, this forum or a local deal is to get all that thinking out of the way first and pre-make your decision on what you want and your budget limits.  Then when you see what you've been looking for, pull the trigger immediately and lock up your speaker, amp, etc.

Ya, it's funny you say that I have had that happen to me too on many occasions. 

And I'm not saying WAIT for that perfect, crazy good deal....sometimes they just fall into your lap.  But if you feel a price is too high for what you're getting, just continue to search, put out feelers, etc.  

Relative to Budman's question about how long I WAITED....I didn't.  I had no intention of getting Khorns after I looked at my room, and what I would have to do to it in order to make a pair worthwhile to bring in.  However, a pair became available within a reasonable distance at a price I couldn't refuse.  They weren't perfect at the time (but now they are), and I couldn't even fit them in my vehicle to bring them home.......long story short, I brought them in and then had an epiphany about how I could manipulate my room with a couple of very, very inexpensive "modifications", and now they fit like a glove, and sound fantastic.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

• Like 4

Just curious do you guys think there is any sound quality difference between the older Klipsch speakers and say a brand new pair? Have they updated the drivers or crossovers? I do remember a member that had the old La Scala's and then purchased the II's and said they did sound more refined and smoother. Anyone here with experience with newer Klipschorns? 

2 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

Just curious do you guys think there is any sound quality difference between the older Klipsch speakers and say a brand new pair? Have they updated the drivers or crossovers? I do remember a member that had the old La Scala's and then purchased the II's and said they did sound more refined and smoother. Anyone here with experience with newer Klipschorns? 

You would have to find a set of AK-4 or AK-5 timeline speakers to have the updated version. They wouldn't be cheap at all. A much more complex Network topo, different crossover points and slightly different drivers. I would say $4K and up minimum and if someone found some cheaper, I would certainly congratulate them.

Find a cheap, older set that you won't lose money on and then start tinkering. The K's respond very well with changes and one in particular covers 50% of whats available.   Find decent cabinets with a good veneer pattern that you like, unless someone is just giving a set away.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I've come to the conclusion when I find a decent pair at a good price locally I am gonna pull the trigger and give it a shot. I just have one question for you all. Now,  am going to go the route of building the falls walls onto the back of the speaker instead of trying to block the pipe in any way. Now do you guys think I should build the false wall on both of them or just the one that can't sit flush into the corner?