Would it be worth it for me to get KHorns in my theater room?

AaronB123

I hooked up my klipschorns very briefly to my home theater and I was very underwhelmed. This was a temporary hookup because I had very little time when got them. When I hooked them up to a vintage Pioneer receiver, they sounded awesome. I just have my home theater speakers next to the klipschorns. Those are klf-30s near the horns. I highly suggest using klipschorns strictly for 2 channel stereo, you won't be disappointed.
157778c44ce33a9486e19cc8553bd4ca.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Budman said:

i wasn't talking about you, i was talking about the DIY man

hey budman have you ever heard an LCR setup? if not maybe you can just do a quick google search of it and see why any big high end DEDICATED rooms get lcr speakers. like i said i dont care what you think you know, LCR is better for theater use. 

besides i dont need Khorns or la scalas. i have cinema series, and to my ears and MANY others who have heard them both, mine are superior. sorry

• Like 1

I think the other thing we need to think about is being able to aim the speakers. With the K-horns you are limited to you seating position at a certain location which might not be ideal for viewing the screen. With LaScalas however you can aim them to adjust for the prime seating location. As I said earlier, most of the praise for the K-horns over the LaScalas is that they dig deeper but for HT its a mute point because of the subs and AVR crossover at 80 to 100 hz which is still before the LaScalas really roll off anyway. Thus I would say for HT, a LaScala L/C/R is going to be superior to the K-Horns. If you had a dedicated 2 channel system it would be a different story but it sounds like we are talking HT here.

• Like 1

I ran LS's as fronts for about 12 years and as great as they are, they're no K-horn, even though the components minus the cabs are the same. The height makes a very big difference even in a room your size, which is almost identical to mine. I didn't count on this making such a difference, but the K's seem to have better imaging and just more airy with the delivery.  When I went to the K's it just made me realize my LS's were directing the music to my knee's more than my ears. In a longer room, which I ran them in before, (on the short wall) it wasn't as bad and I was further from them . Having said that, the LS's are still all that and can actually be way more effective paired with a great sub than just running two K's. 

Of course the K's bass cab is a step up even with its few minor flaws from the long fold giving a delay to the peak it has in the upper bass.  I never lost sleep over this.  Find a set of cheap, cheap old K's and move those LS's to the rear channels.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Budman said:

its absolutely worth it. you have a perfect size room for them and they will take up less room than your lascalas

If you can get the center Lascala's midrange and tweeter horns up to the height of the Khorns and crossover to sub at 70 or 80Hz, then go for it.  The Khorns will be better for stereo music without subwoofer engaged.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

It's a water pipe I definitely can't remove it. I wish I could.

Copper pipe ? You can move it.. Cast iron, PVC...

You can close it in with an assess panel..

If you decide in getting klipschorns . You know the 

drill they need proper corner placement..

Need a pic of the corner with the pipe.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

"You know the drill"

God, everyone insists you need perfect corners. There's ways around it from enclosing the backs (like the 60th anniversary) to using old, heavy, solid core doors. Ask Jimbo about the doors, dirt cheap and they sound great. I'm actually planning on putting 1" MDF on for backs, it's going to be some work to make them look good, OTOH, I dont look at the back of speakers once they are set up.. It also allows you to toe them out which in some cases actually helps them image better. Can someone see if Davis shows how he did it? He has done it to 4 pair that I know of using 4 screws that dont penetrate the cabinet so it is completely reversible

Mark

My klipschorns were very boomy in my room positioned perfectly in the corners, so I angled them more towards to mlp, they are still against the walls as close as possible, just not tucked perfectly in the corners. This seemed to make the bass cleaner (again in my room).

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

This is the corner in question. I have heard though that they don't need to be 100% against the wall. Is this true? I mean it would only be a couple inches from the wall. 

IMG_0230.JPG

18 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

This is the corner in question. I have heard though that they don't need to be 100% against the wall. Is this true? I mean it would only be a couple inches from the wall. 

IMG_0230.JPG

They are recommend to fit in the corner and sealed firmly into it. But that's a simple fix with the water utility pipe..stud up the wall with steel studs ..and sheet rock it...and have a access door

download.jpg

30 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

They are recommend to fit in the corner and sealed firmly into it. But that's a simple fix with the water utility pipe..stud up the wall with steel studs ..and sheet rock it...and have a access door

download.jpg

So if I just put them as close to the wall as possible without having them perfectly sealed against the wall they wouldn't sound good?

17 hours ago, Max2 said:

I ran LS's as fronts for about 12 years and as great as they are, they're no K-horn, even though the components minus the cabs are the same. The height makes a very big difference even in a room your size, which is almost identical to mine. I didn't count on this making such a difference, but the K's seem to have better imaging and just more airy with the delivery.  When I went to the K's it just made me realize my LS's were directing the music to my knee's more than my ears. In a longer room, which I ran them in before, (on the short wall) it wasn't as bad and I was further from them . Having said that, the LS's are still all that and can actually be way more effective paired with a great sub than just running two K's. 

Of course the K's bass cab is a step up even with its few minor flaws from the long fold giving a delay to the peak it has in the upper bass.  I never lost sleep over this.  Find a set of cheap, cheap old K's and move those LS's to the rear channels.  

What do you think is a good price for a pair of very good condition K's from lets say the early 70's? 

2 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

So if I just put them as close to the wall as possible without having them perfectly sealed against the wall they wouldn't sound good?

Well if you plan on going all the way with klipschorns.

Might as well do right the first time..they are designed to fit & seal in the corner ..you can try a false wall

for that corner..

Will they sound right don't know.. Might be member close by that you can listen to that has the

Korns set up either way...

Your the boss to your own destiny ...

Just think things out you will find your way .

7 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

As cheap as you can get them. Beat up cabs makes the price head south quick.  Any K's out there in the $2K range is a steal in most cases, but I have seen them in the 1.5K range occasionally.  Also, don't worry about the corners.  One sheet of quality plywood or MDF will enclose the backs and you can do it by only shooting 2 screws in the side vent supports, 2 in the tailboard supports and not put them in the cabs.  Its a must for me as I can't stand the 45* angle sound of any K setup unless you're 8 to 10 feet off of them or you usable wall is 25-30 feet.  Its very nice to be able to toe them out  to the perfect angle for your seating position.  Even PWK used false walls in his home for what it is worth.

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

• Like 3