Klipsch break down needed

HIFI4EVER

Hello, a few months ago I joined when I bought a set of SK horns for $300 that are awesome, but not perfect since they were built in 1972 and the parts are old but work well none the less.

I have decided to sell them and and with the new money I have a much wider variety of options here. 

I would like to know the order of the speaker line.  I know the K horn is awesome and more awesome when they are in corners or have backs on them.

I am thinking about either some Altec Lansings locally or Cornwalls.

Please expain the differences between the versions of cornwalls to me.  

Are the Cornwalls next in line in the Klipsch family?

Thank you,

You got pics of your K-Horns ? The Heritage line goes basically   K-Horns, LaScalas , Belles , Cornwalls , Heresy . Some would say Chorus, Fortes ,  etc should be in there also . Not sure what you want to know but the info on the web and here is pretty easy to find.

Order is going to depend on priorities.  If you want more balanced sound, top to bottom, you may go with:

KHorn

Cornwall

Belle/La Scala

Heresy

If you don't need lower bass, the LaScala/Belle moves up the ladder.

Using subs, the Heresy (II) moves way up the ladder.

Really depends on your overall system and priorities.

As for lines, Heritage / Legend is on the top - toss up.  Reference down a little from that.

9 hours ago, ricktate said:

You got pics of your K-Horns ? The Heritage line goes basically   K-Horns, LaScalas , Belles , Cornwalls , Heresy . Some would say Chorus, Fortes ,  etc should be in there also . Not sure what you want to know but the info on the web and here is pretty easy to find.

A far as order, this is about right. Blending the Chorus and Forte: The Chorus will be jockeying with the Cornwall, depending on if they're Chorus 1 o Chorus 2. The Forte are far ahead of the Heresy. 

As Derrick said, it depends on what you're trying to do. And, depending on the size of the room, the KG series can sound great and a lot less expensive. 

I agree with Derrick and Weber.  It is impossible to recommend any one speaker without knowing your circumstances.

There are two questions posed.  One regarding pecking order and one regarding the CW.

It is pretty much agreed that the K-Horn is king but needs the right room and corners.  Belle and LS are bass horn loaded and very clear but are missing about an octave of bass compared to the K-Horn. 

PWK designed the CW bass box before T-S parameters were introduced but the CW bass is basically the optimization of the ported box designs.  High efficiency and low distortion.  He was ahead of everyone else.

There were several early versions of the CW but I understand the basic current layout  was established in about 1974.  That is to say with all three speakers aligned vertically.   

Back then the mid for the CW was a K-55 driver (like the K-Horn) and the K-600 horn was metal.  It is difficult to argue against the notion that these were superior items mechanically from the days when phones had dials and cars had fins.

The cost of the mid and tweeter must have been eating Klipsch alive and the supply of components getting difficult.  Klipsch had to redesign those components and, it seems to me, get them manufactured overseas.  I believe the cabinet was shifted from plywood to MDF.  There are comments that this was cheapening the traditional craftsmanship.  I say it was need to stay alive. There is no reason to think these are dumbed down in performance unless you're really throwing in power which melts plastic.

With the CWIII the woofer was moved up close to the mid and tweeter probably to optimize smoothness.  IIRC the mid from the Heresy was adopted too.   

You can read more at

http://www.klipsch.com/cornwall-history

and you should click on the two links therein.

WMcD

15 hours ago, ricktate said:

The pics were in my first thread here a couple of months back.  They are not Klipsch but speaklab.  I could have sold them for a lot more, but I sold them for 1500 so they were decent.  

WMcd thanks for the great info.

Yes, I like bass and I like good tones, so I'd say the cornwalls are probably it.

I used to Have the ESS hEIL amt 12" and I liked them a lot.  Does anyone know how they compare to cornwalls?