Advice on fair price - Heresy?

jfjacques

Hi folks - 

I have a chance at a pair of Heresy through a family friend. They are likely early 80's - have the copper badges - code is "HWO" - the walnut is near mint condition I cannot find a flaw and it was regularly oiled. These are from the original owner and he has the original brochure, sales reciept, etc-  no boxes unfortunately. It has the brown cane grilles which I like a great deal. It does not have riser option. He is asking $500 which seems slightly high, I know he declined an offer for $350, sounds like from a mutual friend he is targeting $400 - is that still fair? Can I recoup if I decide they are not for me? 

THanks for any info you can provide - James 

• Moderators

There  is a pair of heresies listed near me for $450.  It's been online for 45 days and has not sold.  It's not too uncommon in my area to see them listed from 250 to 350.   I personally would never paid $500 for heresys but that's just me 

• Like 1

Around here Heresy typically start at $400 and often go for more than Forte.

I spent $400 on a pair of walnut/cane with slant risers.

They weren't in perfect condition, but I was looking for a walnut pair.

I drove a fair distance for them, but I believe I was in the area for something else.

I live in an area where I can be patient and a pair will always come along at a decent price.

If you aren't geographically as lucky, I would spend a little extra and get them.

Also, cane grills don't come up that often either, so if you like this pair get them.

• Like 1

The above posts are correct about a typical price. However, these are oiled walnut with cane grills. If they are in great cosmetic condition, as you imply, then an extra 20% on the price is certainly reasonable. 

Be aware however, there needs to be folks in the local market and some of them are very picky about any scratches or nicks. 

Good luck

IMO Heresy's are a strange bird, because their price is remarkably consistent.  From the buyer's POV, $300 is a bargain, $500 is too much and they go for $400 all day long.

In other words, I agree with absolutely everybody ^^^ further upstream.  B)

+++

Edit:  Except for Ebay where apparently they go for $629.99 after the big price reduction.  :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Original-Sequentially-Matched-Vintage-Klipsch-Heresy-HWO-Floor-Speakers-/311721212828?hash=item4894083b9c:g:YugAAOSwzaJYA7hy

• Like 1

I typically look at items that I will have to do and negotiate from there. If you want the risers research the cost of them I think bob crites sells them also the networks may need a recap if so add that up. Cosmetics are fine so your good there I would negotiate based on the amount of money you will need to put into them after the purchase. As a side note I paid 500 for a set of H2's in pristine condition several years ago this was my first set of Klipsch speakers I stillnown them and love them!