Need your experience

Charles M

Hello 

I have a chance to buy a pair of Klipschorns that are about 30 years old but  look and sound new for less than I  paid for my RF7 -11 

Right now i have two RF-7 11

Two RP 250s

Palladium  P-312W SUB

RC64-11 CENTER

The room is 25 by 35 but the screen and the front  speakers will set between 13'  at the front  with two speakers on each side .thats where i have the RF-7 11 RIGHT now .

with the sub in the middle . If i do pick these up i could but them in the same place but also have room in the back and that is 18' across  but also my RP 250S are there .

does anyone believe this would be a very much an over kill ? would the Klipschorn and the  RF7-11 just be fighting with each other or would i be crazy not to buy them ?

I am lost in what to do buy them for myself because it will work for great sound or buy them to sell in which i would have a hard time to even do that. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've never heard Khorns next to RF7ii but the Khorns have a HUGE sound to them.  They truly are great sounding speakers.

Here's my thought, if you bought the K horns and chose to sell them tomorrow, could you at least get what you have in them? That is the case I say it's a no-brainer to try them out

• Like 2

There's a drastic difference between them that hopefully anybody who went to Hope would be able to attest to.  RF-7ii's sound good but it's like the loudness button is turned on with exaggerated highs and lows.  K-horns have much more pronounced and cleaner midrange.  

I have heard most of the Heritage line except the Khorns.  You can't go wrong with an RF 7/7 II system.  You can make a great HT with the Heritage or Reference line.  Other factors like styling and the look of the room and system come into play.  The Reference system is easier to convert to Atmos.  A good timber match can be made with in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for the Reference line.  The Reference line has dedicated surrounds and a center channel that you can't find in the Heritage line.  I like the sound of the Reference and Heritage speakers but, chose to go with the Reference line. 

The direction that the OP needs to go in, is a personal choice that only he can make.  On the fuzz box comment, once 3 instruments are in a mix, audio engineers could not even pick up distion under 6%.  To my knowledge, Klipsch does not make any speakers with great distortion in the Reference or Heritage line.  If I am wrong, I would love to see some data.  For Klipsch, that is the whole ideal of using horns, less distortion, greater dynamic, ect, ect, ect.?

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

On the fuzz box comment, once 3 instruments are in a mix, audio engineers could not even pick up distion under 6%.  To my knowledge, Klipsch does not make any speakers with great distortion in the Reference or Heritage line.  If I am wrong, I would love to see some data.  For Klipsch, that is the whole ideal of using horns, less distortion, greater dynamic, ect, ect, ect.?

With the distortion situation, I think it is kind of frequency dependent.  The lower the frequency, the less sensitive we are to it.  There was actually a test set up with a large number of enthusiasts, and it was proven that when music was playing, sub-bass frequencies below 40 hz literally had to be around 100% distortion before anybody noticed that something was off.  

In the meantime, an ultimax has less than 3% distortion even down to like 33 hz, even with just one doing a 117 db sweep.  Spread that same load out over four drivers and we're literally talking about 1.2% distortion over typical music frequencies with each one pumping out 105 db.  

You may be able to tell the difference between them and a horn, but it ain't the distortion that's giving it away.  

• Like 2

Well said Metro.  Nobody is saying the an all horn system  may not sound a small bit different.  Which type of system that a person prefers is a personal choice and there are plenty of fans in both camps.  Over the last couple of days there has been some good discussion  of HT systems.  I'm not as picky as some and can enjoy the heck out of a Reference or Heritage/all horn system.  I just don't have room for both and had to pick one.

On 10/25/2016 at 9:50 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

With the distortion situation, I think it is kind of frequency dependent.  The lower the frequency, the less sensitive we are to it.  There was actually a test set up with a large number of enthusiasts, and it was proven that when music was playing, sub-bass frequencies below 40 hz literally had to be around 100% distortion before anybody noticed that something was off.  

In the meantime, an ultimax has less than 3% distortion even down to like 33 hz, even with just one doing a 117 db sweep.  Spread that same load out over four drivers and we're literally talking about 1.2% distortion over typical music frequencies with each one pumping out 105 db.  

You may be able to tell the difference between them and a horn, but it ain't the distortion that's giving it away.  

Please enlighten us as to what it is then.

On 10/22/2016 at 7:33 PM, jimjimbo said:

I have experienced the RF-7 II's and I own Klipschorns.  I would buy the Khorns any day of the week....

Welcome to the forum, and the madness.....

I have experienced JimJimbo and I live with my wife. I would prefer to spend time with my wife any day of the week...

And yes, welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jason str said:

Please enlighten us as to what it is then.

There's a few old rants from Seaton when he was still into horns like 10-12+ years ago out there, here's a collection of some of them, may have something to do with it, I dunno.  Pay attention to the explanation about accuracy and phase.  Otherwise, no clue, but pinpointing 1-2% harmonic distortion at the lowest frequencies while program material is playing just isn't reality.  

http://www.diyaudio.com/oldwiki/index.php?page=Bass+Horn+miscellaneous+info

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

There's a few old rants from Seaton when he was still into horns like 10-12+ years ago out there, here's a collection of some of them, may have something to do with it, I dunno.  Pay attention to the explanation about accuracy and phase.  Otherwise, no clue, but pinpointing 1-2% harmonic distortion at the lowest frequencies while program material is playing just isn't reality.  

http://www.diyaudio.com/oldwiki/index.php?page=Bass+Horn+miscellaneous+info

Here is some other interesting articles on distortion:http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/673awsi/#PrEhmQpkmRcJmIep.97

Hey, kids, here's the Big News. We've been deluding ourselves all along, worrying about piddling little bits of distortion that we can't hear at all. How's your preamp distortion? 1% at 1 volt out? You have a perfect preamp—a veritable straight wire with gain! That ear-shattering shrillness is all in your mind, because it has now been demonstrated that the human ear cannot perceive distortion levels of less than 6–12% on "normally complex music." If you think you can hear 0.1%, you are deluding yourself.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/673awsi/index.html#HkTUfWl0vosJfIwK.99

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Read this from the man himself and not by some no name writer.

woofer_distortion.pdf

Yeah, 230 hz sine waves at 120 db on top of other lower stuff going on at 120 db, all through two 15's in your living room, probably would in fact sound like doo-doo.