Best center p. II

drwhom

From a previous post, "Good day all! I bought the new quintet for a new 7.2 Devon receiver. I used the speakers for the surround channels. I bought R15M for the front left/right. I have R125W sub. I have read that the center is the most important speaker. My question: what is a good center upgrade for my current setup? And, are there other factors I might be failing to ask?"

I did find a used RC-62 II for half the price of new on Amazon. When I received it the right driver was buster and there was a heavy object in the case rolling, freely around. I am returning it for full refund (of course). Is the 62 really worth the two bills difference than the 52? I am an audiophile ubernoob, so any direction is much appreciated.

Dr. W-

I have not heard either RC-62 or the RC-64 center speaker but I fully agree the center is the most important speaker.

From all the conversations I have read from those who have owned them, the RC-62 is a major upgrade over the RC-52.  The RC-64 is the ultimate center and the RC-62 sounds 95% as good as the RC-64.

I think those percentages were suggested by Scrappydue who owned both.

I went from a 42, to a 64ii.....

Yes, it is a beast.... 3ft long, and 50lbs.

But its worth it if u have the pockets and space. I had to buy an entire new entertainment center just to house this beast, no joke.

Your best bet may be going big now instead of doing baby steps.... the baby steps is more expensive in the long run. I went from 42s, to 28s, to 7s.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to center speakers I believe most agree that anything less than a fully matched L C R is a compromise. People seek out these "center" speakers due to size limitations in their individual space. Voicing is a major concern so you'd be best off matching your mains with the same model center and of course try and buy the largest you can fit in your situation. If you plan on keeping the R15m's long term I'd suggest the R-25c as it looks like a perfect match:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-reference-center-channel-speakers#r-25c

I'd only recommend stepping up the center speaker to a different line / model if you hope to someday upgrade your mains to match the new center. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nitrofan said:

My vote for best center is rc7

I second that with the 64 II being right there with it. I guess I'd say they are equals in my mind with each having their own strong points.

Of course the Palladium center is just awesome and probably the true "best" in terms of everything except the ability to blend with non-Palladium speakers.

• Like 1

Ther RC 25 would be a nice choice for a center.  You don't need a center that does not fit with the rest of the speakers in the system.  Depending on how things are setup, a horizontal center or another tower can be just as effective in the center.  For dedicated theaters, three towers may be ideal for some people.  I have demo'ed a lot of systems, some with all towers and some using a horizontal center and I have not found one to be superior to the other.

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I second that with the 64 II being right there with it. I guess I'd say they are equals in my mind with each having their own strong points.

Of course the Palladium center is just awesome and probably the true "best" in terms of everything except the ability to blend with non-Palladium speakers.

The P27c is an awesome speaker. I think it would do a great job blending with other speakers.