Rattling woofer

mr.pee1

Yesterday I was playing Mike Oldfields OmnaDawn LP and one of the Eminence Kappa 15 c's rattled or sounded like it (the paper cone) was loose. I am using a Dynaco st 70 (35 watts per chan) . It didn't do this with anything I played before or after. Do I have a torn cone on the new woofer?  

6 hours ago, mr.pee1 said:

Yesterday I was playing Mike Oldfields OmnaDawn LP and one of the Eminence Kappa 15 c's rattled or sounded like it (the paper cone) was loose. I am using a Dynaco st 70 (35 watts per chan) . It didn't do this with anything I played before or after. Do I have a torn cone on the new woofer? 

Unless you LOOK at the woofer in whatever speaker that is, then you will never know...sorry, but my long-distance x-ray vision is on the blink today!  But here is a FREE caveat for you I have often talked to people who just couldn't find out what was rattling even after taking a peek, but who had no issue at all after unhooking the lead to the woofer and twisting one turn to get its "loop" from being able to touch the woofer frame!  it is often a simple fix that solves a not-so-common problem...especially if the problem only occurs on occasion during a specific musical passage at higher volumes.  It is normally a bass-related problem that this "fix" works for.

18 hours ago, mr.pee1 said:

Oh the speaker is a La Scala and the Kappa 15 c is only a few months old. Will crawl in and look .

For sure check the lead wire to the woofer in that LaScala, since it could easily be rattling against the woofer frame..one of the speakers MOST likely to have that issue!

So I removed the speaker and looked at it and didn't see any tears or loose cone . I put it back in and it was worse . I swapped leads on the  Dynaco st 70 amp and it stopped!  More testing on the way. Oh called Parts Express and they won't warrenty it , said to call Eminance. 

So I removed the phono preamp and playedCD's and it seems to be fine no sounding like the cone is ripped , so not the amp not the preamp , turntable? When I get the Thorens up and running I will try that . Listening to Roy Bucanon "Sweet Dreams" two set cd. And I still have to request new password so I can post, tried contacting Admin no answer.