The heavens are telling...

Mallette

Wow--Awesome picture! Trying to make out the constellations but not having much luck. Fwiw, my wife and I used to enjoy night hiking and it was cool being able to recognize the way to go by the patterns we saw in the sky....{Note: Running joke happened one night when we thought the star in the distance was Arcturus and started heading that way only to find it was a distant airplane. B)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

A little more like what I was actually hearing from my system there...

I think one measure of a really great composer like Haydn is the ability to skilfully incorporate instruments he's not used to in a completely natural and expert way.  Here, Haydn builds in three trombones in the most climactic passages to produce a dramatic , full-bodied brass sound that trumpets, horns, and woodwinds by themselves could not bring.  He also showed that ability with clarinets in this work (The Creation) even though they were still new on the orchestral scene.  While trombones had frequently and expertly been used back in Monteverdi's time, they were still a special case in the Classical era before Beethoven's 5th and 6th.

• Like 2

The Mrs and I have started watching the night skies for orbiting satellites.  Over an hours period we typically can spot 6 or more of them racing across the skies vectored in all directions.  They do not appear as shooting stars and do not have colored or blinking running lights like aircraft.  They look like a star moving from horizon to horizon, sometimes bright and sometimes very dim. They can give off a flash of very brilliant light if a mirror or shiny array should catch the suns rays at the correct angle.  They can move fast (lower orbits) or slower (which is still fairly quick).  The stars are lovely and we all enjoy the periodic meteoroid............  but you can see satellites frequently and just about anywhere on the planet not overly polluted by urban lights.

• Like 1