La Scalas Denver $1400

meeker1

No, I'm not serious about these, just posting for others. At some point I'd like to hear La Scalas, though.

The winter project, now that the Heresy IIs are sold, is building Heresy cabinets out of birch ply to house the drivers from my Tangent 400s.

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

$1400 is high if you are considering them.  Tough to tell from the pics the true condition of the cabinets, and of course no idea on the drivers....But it sure would make a nice winter project.

Agree, $1400 is on the high side for LS but not crazy high.  For $1400 I would expect to get LS in really good condition ready to plug and play, not a project.

Still, if this were the exact finish I wanted and I was looking for LS, the price would be in the range that I consider to be fair to both buyer and seller.

• Like 1

The difference between the La Scala and Klipschorn:

It's really hard to make buying decisions on speakers we haven't heard.  I know I get speaker lust sometimes and feel like I just HAVE to have a speaker because of the way people talk about them.  Fast forward to my LS and Khorn purchases.

I bought my LS because of speaker lust.  I used them for a few months and got to know their sound.  Then Mustang Guy found some Khorns which somehow ended up in my living room.  I sold the LS to fund the Khorns, so I heard both speakers back-to-back time-wise (not in an A/B listening test).

THE BOTTOM LINE to me, with my ears in my living room is that both speakers sound about the same at lower/mid volume.  They really do and both speakers are pleasing.  What really separates the two is HIGHER VOLUMES.  The Khorn has such a strong low end you really don't need a subwoofer.  The LS w/sub sounds about the same to my ears.

As a stand-alone speaker the Khorn is more versatile in terms of low-end grunt.  I also like the aesthetics because the Khorns tuck neatly into the corners at the edge of my peripheral vision so I don't really "see" them when watching TV. 

The La Scala is more "front and center" visually and frankly is probably easier to integrate as a L/R into a multiple speaker solution (7.1, 5.1, 3.x) because of placement options.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone regarding the asking price for this pair of La Scalas. I'd have to see them to make up my mind, but based on the photo most I'd offer is $750 to $850.  

meeker1,  every Klipsch fanatic needs to own at least one set of La Scalas and Khorns to satisfy that horn induced itch.  

Or maybe some sort of cream to rub on it or something....

Mark