Basshead

Hello! I am building a dedicated theater, and I will be using an acoustic transparent screen, but I am having trouble finding good sounding speakers, with a good price in Toronto Canada. I am building a 7.2.4 system, and don't need any subwoofers as I already have a few. I have been looking 3 x Klipsch R28F for the front LCR, 4x Klipsch R1650C for the ceiling speakers, and I am still looking around for 4 surround speakers, as the RS400B at Best Buy are too small for me.

Anyway, from what I am reading here, people are saying the Klipsch speakers at Best Buy are rebadged and are not as good.  If so, what model fronts should I be looking at, and where should I be purchasing it from?

Basshead,

Welcome to the forum.

Well based on availability on the used market, LaScala LCR would be an awesome front soundstage behind an AT screen.  Also, you could go the Klipsch Pro Theater line route if the price is not too stiff with the exchange and fees.  Triple RF-7's would be awesome also.  Many choices considering you have the AT screen.

Resident members with dedicated HT rooms will chime in soon and most, if not all, will suggest identical LCR.  Surrounds not as important but timbre matching would be best.

Bill

Scrappy has more experience with the Pro stuff but if you have an AT screen I would definitely look at that for an option. That way you are paying for only the sound quality and not the fit and finish that the reference and other 'home' speakers have which will be hidden anyway. I see speakers this way, you have 3 options: Pretty, Cheap and Sound Quality- you get to pick two. Since you are hiding them anyway, you might as well go for the engineer's no holds barred option of the pro line instead of models compromised to be more WAF friendly for living rooms etc.

Sorry, that's way too far for me, plus I wouldn't have the time to make the trip anyway. Although the pro gear might sound phenomenal, they are a bit too big & bulky for me, after checking them out. I will be more than happy with 6.5"/ 8'' woofers since I will be crossing all the speakers at 80Hz or higher. I am looking into the Rf-7 II's right now.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

An RF 7 II's system is a great choice for HT and music.  The towers and center is large but, a bit more space friendly than some of the Heritage line.  They are also easy to match some in-wall or in-ceiling speakers to make an Atmos system.

lol! I finally figured out how to use the quote option :D. I am looking at the RF 7 LCR option, but if I go this route, what surround speakers would timbre match with it? Also, out of curiosity, what's wrong with the R-28F as LCR? I was considering the Heritage line, but it will eat up too much space after looking into it. I do find it fascinating though that a speaker design from the 60's can outclass a lot what we have today.

7 minutes ago, Basshead said:

lol! I finally figured out how to use the quote option :D. I am looking at the RF 7 LCR option, but if I go this route, what surround speakers would timbre match with it? Also, out of curiosity, what's wrong with the R-28F as LCR? I was considering the Heritage line, but it will eat up too much space after looking into it. I do find it fascinating though that a speaker design from the 60's can outclass a lot what we have today.

R-28f is just Best Buy rebadged synergy line. Nothing really wrong with it. Just that a lot of people on this forum prefer the REAL reference line 

10 hours ago, Basshead said:

The surrounds can be RS 35's, RS 62, RS 52 for conventional on wall surrounds.  Look at my signature for in-wall or in-ceiling.  An RF 7/7 II system is very powerful for even large rooms and has the finest to also be used as a music system  After years of looking at speakers, this system does everything well and is a keeper.  I like the modern look, the ability to crank it up and not worry about blowing a driver or amp.  I'm sure some of the Heritage systems are fine but, you have to get off the fence and choose a direction to pursue  The RC 64 is a great center speaker that you will never have to say, I can't hear the dialogue.

10 hours ago, Basshead said:

The new RP-250S would be fine with them.  If you have the budget that you say, stay away from the R-28F, they have an aluminum tweeter that gets punked by the 1.75" titanium compression driver in the RF-7ii's.  Just not even close.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The new RP-250S would be fine with them.  If you have the budget that you say, stay away from the R-28F, they have an aluminum tweeter that gets punked by the 1.75" titanium compression driver in the RF-7ii's.  Just not even close.  

Thanks for clarifying that.

13 hours ago, Youthman said:

If you decide on a LaScala LCR, take a look at my video and build thread in my signature below.  Might give you some ideas.

Your theater looks sweet. I might have to bother sometime with a lot of questions.

10 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

he is doing an at screen so 3 RF-7ii is an option. no need for a horizontal center. he's shooting for three towers

Yea, I want a seamless identical sound stage which is one of the main reasons I am going with an AT screen.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Basshead said:

Your theater looks sweet. I might have to bother sometime with a lot of questions.

Bother all you want.  Glad to help any way I can

8 minutes ago, Basshead said:

Yea, I want a seamless identical sound stage which is one of the main reasons I am going with an AT screen.

Having three identical speakers across the front sound stage is exactly what you want then.

1 hour ago, Basshead said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

Your on the right path buddy 

21 hours ago, Youthman said:

Bother all you want.  Glad to help any way I can

Out of curiosity, whats the weight, measurements and power requirements of the LaScala? Since I will be using big subs, do I really need big bulky fronts too, as I will be crossing over at 80hz?

20 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Your on the right path buddy 

That's good to know :)