JBL SVA 1800

Woofers and Tweeters

I owned a mint pair of these, very nice speakers. Unfortunately I had too many speakers hanging around so I sold them.They did seem a little power hungry but sounded very nice. This pair looks like it has issues seeing that the internal crossover wiring to the binding posts are outside...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teaman said:

I owned a mint pair of these, very nice speakers. Unfortunately I had too many speakers hanging around so I sold them.They did seem a little power hungry but sounded very nice. This pair looks like it has issues seeing that the internal crossover wiring to the binding posts are outside...

What Klipsch would you compare them to?

• Like 1

It has been a while since I heard the CF series speakers but I would say comparable to the CF-3's maybe. Personally I prefer the three way designs over the two ways but these are pretty well balanced and have significant bass reproduction.

Tim

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teaman said:

This pair looks like it has issues seeing that the internal crossover wiring to the binding posts are outside...

I thought they just unhooked the speaker wire from the receiver and threw the wires in the port for storage.  Who knows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, teaman said:

It has been a while since I heard the CF series speakers but I would say comparable to the CF-3's maybe. Personally I prefer the three way designs over the two ways but these are pretty well balanced and have significant bass reproduction.

Tim

CF3 are great speakers. Like you, I favor 3 way speakers.

57 minutes ago, Weber said:

92db might be why they seem power hungry. looking at the spec sheet, they are, speaker size wise, more in line of the CF2 and the 2100 closer to the CF3.

That would make an interesting shootout.  Both the JBL and the CF-3's seem to have really held their value over time, especially if people are paying $800 for JBL speakers that were originally $1200 pr in 1997.

• Like 1

I tried a pair years ago, but I'm not sure which model. It's an Audax soft dome in the center with horn loading, correct? Not compression drivers, like the Epics use. I certainly wouldn't turn them down if a pair showed up for the right price. The woofers have foam surrounds, I believe, which can fall apart and need to be refoamed. Not too hard, but one has to keep it in mind. 

• Like 1