wood horn KHorns

joetubeman

Hello,

I've been out of audio for a number of years now, chasing cars. But now starting to get interested in audio again.

I bought a pair of old Khorns with wood horns about 10 years ago. Trying to determine the age. I read the date code info and honestly i'm stumped.

Type K-DFR, Style D, serial numbers 1732, 1733. Finish FR.

Can someone please decipher the date and other info for me.

Regards,

Joe

The old wooden K5 horns were made prior the 1963, and near the end of that period had the University SAHF driver, the earliest had the WE713.

006 Khorn 1 right

009 Khorn University SA-HF driver

Earliest horn flares were a beige colored plastic that warped, later they were a greenish fiberglass.

KDFR= Klipschorn Decorator Fir Raw...raw means it was shipped sanded but with no finish applied.  Klipsch used marine-grade Fir plywood back in those days.  The decorator line was the least expensive series, and that was due to it not having an upper panel on the tophat, no riser between the bass bin and the tophat (tophat guts were installed directly to the top of the bass bin), and no expensive veneer or finish.  What the customer did to them after they got them was up to the customer...and some of those customers turned them into beautiful masterpieces.

• Like 1

Thanks HDBRbuilder for the info.

John, they look the same as they did in my 2005 post unfortunately.  And I guess they are pre 1962. Anyway to pin point the date?

I just want to get these setup and start listening to them. I'll get to improving the cosmetics hopefully soon. I'll also try to get some pictures posted once they are installed in my system.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,

Joe

HA!!

I haven't been on this site in so long looks like I posted pictures back when I got them, 2005. Can someone confirm the date? looks like they are 1962's? Here's the old post, I hope.

On Friday April 1, 2005, Joetubeman  said:

Thanks Trey,

I failed to mention that the serial numbers that I first mentioned,1732,1733, came from the original registration cards the first owner gave me and never sent in.The serial numbers for the mid horns are,1928 and 1931, "BY" PG. I assume that PG is the person that made the horn's?

"PG" was Portis Gilley...he worked for Klipsch from very early on until he passed away sometime between 1976 and 1983 (while I was working there).  I believe he was the last employee of PWK who still had original company stock shares which were given in lieu of earned wages at times early on during the lean years.  He was a wonderful man, always had a smile on his face and kind words for all of us employees.  We were shocked the morning we learned he had passed away and he was very much missed by all!

He is pictured on both of the employee group photos from  the mid-70's...a pretty tall gentleman!

I have serial #'s in the 1500 range.  They were were dated as early 1960 by Klipsch.  My K-5 horns are dated in late 1959.  So your 17xx numbers sound good for your date of '62.  Do your K-5 serial number stickers have dates? 

Mine have K-55 mid drivers which are later than the SA-HF pictured above.  Are those yours?  Maybe DJKs?

[Later] my serial numbers are earlier then I thought.  1517 on one the other is a few numbers later.  I don't have a decent pic of it.   

datedhorn.jpg

K5PWKhorn.JPG

T35-K77.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 8:23 PM, WMcD said:

You can look at the timeline and make some estimations:

https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/KhornTimeline_635116436015580000.pdf

The photos show a K-77 / T-35 tweeter buy not a K-55 mid driver.

WMcD

Prior to the introduction of the K55 driver into the Klipsch line-up, the University driver was used on the mid-range horn of the K-horn.  The woofer in the bass bin COULD have ORIGINALLY been a Jensen Coax during that time-frame.