more truck woes

Paducah Home Theater

Id like to take a look at that printout from the aligment shop... if you have bad toe angles you can have one side of the vehicle fighting the other side as you try and track in a straightline.

One other thing Id like to ask... is the vibration coming thru the steering wheel or is it coming from the chassis (thru your seat)?

Typically: 

If it vibrates side to side when braking (feel it in the steering wheel) then it's the front, while if it pulses (seat of the pants) its the rear, typically

if it happens at only one speed without the brakes applied, then the brakes aren't the culprit , typically

If it's shaking dentures out, then it sounds like it's in the front. You might take a minute to rotate the tires front to rear to see if it moves

If it's a brake dragging, then pop it in neutral will feel like the brakes are applied

The Hat and Rotor rear brakes / parking brake that Carl mentioned can be a problem too (we have a test vehicle that acts up when it wants to)

When you're getting the vibration, does it change when the gears are changed?

12 hours ago, Schu said:

One other thing Id like to ask... is the vibration coming thru the steering wheel or is it coming from the chassis (thru your seat)?

When I go around a slight curve at high speed my steering wheel wobbles a bit, but the violent vibration at 48 mph shakes the entire truck up and down.  It just doesn't always do it, kind of intermittent.  The high speed vibration is pretty constant though.  

10 hours ago, Weber said:

If it vibrates side to side when braking (feel it in the steering wheel) then it's the front, while if it pulses (seat of the pants) its the rear, typically

It doesn't vibrate when braking at all.  

10 hours ago, Weber said:

if it happens at only one speed without the brakes applied, then the brakes aren't the culprit , typically

It's perfectly fine below 45 mph, and once I hit 50 it smooths out for a little bit.  

11 hours ago, Weber said:

If it's shaking dentures out, then it sounds like it's in the front. You might take a minute to rotate the tires front to rear to see if it moves

It was actually fine since May but I recently rotated the tires, it got worse afterwards.  But, they're balanced and a road force balancer was even used, which ought to rule out any being out of round.  Not sure what to do or what it means.  

11 hours ago, Weber said:

When you're getting the vibration, does it change when the gears are changed?

Not that I'm aware but I'll try to pay attention.  The high speed slight vibration is definitely while in overdrive and occurs at any speed over 65.  48 mph is right on the edge though so that worries me now that I think about it.  

4 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I have disc brakes on the rear, not drums.  Need to yank the front tire and check the pads I guess.  

I would pull the rears then.  Your parking brake should be a drum brake that is inside the center of the disc.  Clean them and see if you can adjust them a little looser.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I have disc brakes on the rear, not drums.  Need to yank the front tire and check the pads I guess.  

That's what Carl was saying earlier.  The parking brake is on the rear but it is not a disc brake.  There is a funny little drum brake that is exclusively for the parking brake.  If you were not looking for it you would probably miss it.

+++

And this is a manual transmission?  The automatic trans can definitely cause the vibration you are describing.

I used to drive a large flat bed truck that would almost rip the steering wheel out of your hands as it turned back and forth violently after hitting a bump; that was ball joints. I saw earlier that this isn't your problem.

So I am really just wasting bits and bytes and your time :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

That's what Carl was saying earlier.  The parking brake is on the rear but it is not a disc brake.  There is a funny little drum brake that is exclusively for the parking brake.  If you were not looking for it you would probably miss it.

+++

And this is a manual transmission?  The automatic trans can definitely cause the vibration you are describing.

Crap, I forgot, you're exactly right.  It's a disc but the middle is big, like a mini drum.  When I put new rotors on in the spring this thing was locked up, had to get a pipe and put on the inside of the rotors then beat on it with a hammer from underneath the truck.  

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

"It was actually fine since May but I recently rotated the tires, it got worse afterwards."

Is that the exact moment the problem started?

I'm not sure.  I rotated them right before I went on vacation.  I got to the smokies and some vibration was there but it wasn't too bad, just rough more than anything.  Something happened in the smokies though because the 7 hour trip home was miserable, it got worse while I was there.  When I got home I had them road force balanced but it's still not right.  

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

I used to drive a large flat bed truck that would almost rip the steering wheel out of your hands as it turned back and forth violently after hitting a bump; that was ball joints. I saw earlier that this isn't your problem.

So I am really just wasting bits and bytes and your time :) 

I bought a CJ-5 once that had a homemade lift kit.  Drove it on the interstate home for some stupid reason, and the shackles flexed so bad that I had an involuntary lane change, then got a good dose of "death wobble" right there in the middle of the interstate after I fought it back in my lane.  Had to find the nearest exit and drive 20 mph home via backroads.