more truck woes

Paducah Home Theater

The reason 47-48 mph scared me once I thought about it is that last year I had a bunch of trouble around that same speed.  I thought the transmission or transfer case was going out.  Ended up having to replace a 4wd vacuum actuator, a hub, something else that was related, and swapped transmission fluid and filter.  But yeah previously I had significant trouble at this same exact speed.  Lots of noises, and it didn't want to shift right, like sometimes if I lingered at that speed it would buck back and forth real hard.  I'm wondering if it is related now, like I've got two things, this lingering bucking at 47 mph, and a slight vibration in the tires at 65+.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The reason 47-48 mph scared me once I thought about it is that last year I had a bunch of trouble around that same speed.

Other people have identified that exact same problem at that exact same speed.  Unfortunately nobody has a solution, but at least you know you are not the only one.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2004/transmission/clunks_shudders_when_driving.shtml

Then there is this, which identifies the driveshaft going into the rear axle/differential; not enough fluid.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2004/drivetrain/

• Like 2

Many lives ago we had a Blue Bird bus for our Boy-Scout Troop. Something in the rear differential was so far out of balance that it shook the entire bus HARD. It affectionately got the nick-name "Wanda" because it wiggled.

Now there's an idea! Spider gears in the differential chipped or broken teeth?

Also, I knew someone that had an early 70's muscle car that shook the steering wheel at some speeds pretty bad. Turns out whoever put the steering components together didn't bolt on the Pitman arm all the way onto the frame and wore an oversized whole into the frame. Never did get it fixed but it would have to had some kind of threaded insert put in and welded (71' Plymouth Roadrunner).

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Better yet, park it in front of USNRET's possessed house and let them battle it out.

I am actually going to make the rounds today to take a peek at new trucks. Ol' trusty is running as good as new now so perhaps it's time to put her up for sale.

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Other people have identified that exact same problem at that exact same speed.  Unfortunately nobody has a solution, but at least you know you are not the only one.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2004/transmission/clunks_shudders_when_driving.shtml

Then there is this, which identifies the driveshaft going into the rear axle/differential; not enough fluid.

Wow, some of those things sounds just like what I've been experiencing.  When I was going through all my fixes I had a transmission shop replace the rear differential cover seal and outer axle seals due to them leaking, just wonder if either they screwed up somehow or if the low fluid messed it up before they got it.  

Not sure what a friction modifier does or if I can use it, I'll have to research that.  

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Not sure what a friction modifier does or if I can use it, I'll have to research that.  

Don't quote me on this but I believe ford owners are putting differential additive in their automatic transmissions.  It's the additive you put into your rear diff to keep the limited slip clutches from chattering.  Supposedly it does the same thing in the trans and torque converter clutches.  Read up on it, don't take my word for it as sometimes I have problems with my hard drive in remembering things.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:23 PM, wvu80 said:

The problem they are talking about approve is a misfire on one cylinder when under a load.  It is intermittent and not enough to through a code.  The dealer can identify it with their software.  Otherwise you have to continue to push it to get a code. I've had 4 F150's over the past 15 years and have dealt with it on all of them.  

As for the thread owner.  It sounds like a wheel balancing problem.  I've been dealing with one on my current set of tires. One of them seems to get out of balance once it expands.  It is not so bad when on the front.  A little vibration in the steering wheel, but when it is on the rear, my bed is like a bunking bronc around 60 mph

If the problem is a tire the solution is easy, rotate front to back and see if the vibration follows the tire placement.

Other things i would check is:

The rest of the u-joints, remove the front axles and check for binding, missing weights or damage to shaft.

Remove front and rear driveshafts, make sure those u-joints are free and check for damage and missing weights.

If not further inspections will be necessary.

• Like 1

Couldn't look at it this weekend, had to drive a little though so I experimented.  

Deflating the tires takes the edge off quite a bit.  Took them down to 33 psi hot which is probably 29 psi cold and the shake is still there but its' not nearly as violent.  

Also it continues to shake in neutral, if it starts doing it I'll shift into neutral and it doesn't go away.  

Doesn't always do it though, sometimes it feels like it gets better or worse if I go around a long curve, like it is partially dependent on two wheels being synced up.  Could be shaking for two miles then I'll go around a curve and it will ease up and stay that way for a long time.