TEAC UD-301 DAC

willland

I have an opportunity to purchase or trade for one of these and just wondering if anyone has any experience with one?  My plan is to plug my Chromecast Audio to it via optical and run through my Yamaha A-S1000 driving my RB-75's.  The Chromecast Audio sounds fine with it's I'm sure minimal/consumer grade on board DAC but I am pretty positive adding a quality DAC will squeeze more sound quality from it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_063UD301/TEAC-UD-301-Black.html?tp=59340&awkw=76402144105&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=92469153265&awdv=c

TEAC UD-301 Black

TEAC UD-301 Back (Black)

The Teac UD-301(Burr-Brown PCM1795 32-bit/192kHz) has virtually the same DAC chip as my Yamaha CD-S1000(Burr-Brown PCM1796 24-bit/192kHz) which I like very much. 

Thanks,

Bill

I don't think this DAC has a fixed volume option but either way like you said set it and forget it , use your remote on you integrated . This will be a good starting DAC for you to get your feet wet . Post your thoughts after you get it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, A1UC said:

I don't think this DAC has a fixed volume option but either way like you said set it and forget it , use your remote on you integrated . This will be a good starting DAC for you to get your feet wet . Post your thoughts after you get it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just thought the volume knob controlled the headphone amp portion.  Could be very wrong though.  Of course the only DAC I ever owned was a CA Dacmagic which did not have volume control.

Bill

Willland, I've used Chromecast Audio to stream to my DAC and I think it works great. The Chromecast audio has a cheap cell phone like DAC in it. I'm like you, I feel like going to a quality DAC cancels out the cheap DAC in the Chromecast Audio.  Use an iPad to control the music on my system.  The iPad also controls the volume on my system. Set the volume on the receiver and then you can volume up or down on the iPad (or phone)

The nice thing about Chromecast Audio, is that you can set up multi-room playback. I have a extra Chromecast Audio hooked up to a KMC3 in my bedroom to stream The same Spotify stream to my main room and my bedroom. The nice thing is you don't have to have a multi account Spotify account, it streams from your one account.

I've read of people having a two story house with a basement streaming to audio systems on all three floors. The Chromecast is  a cheaper Sonos using the better quality speakers and receivers you already have.

I am hooked on the versatility of the Chromecast Audio. As you look into it, it's a neat little device for $35. Christmas time last year, the Chromecast Audio were going for $50 for 2.  Then you have to buy the optical cable.

Let me know what you think, I'm kinda new to this DAC thing.  I'm happy with the Chromecast hooked up to my DAC. It's also a cheap solution to using a computer  to stream to a DAC.

• Moderators
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:41 AM, willland said:

Sure but no real reason for me to use it often.  I most likely would set it and for get it.  I would use my volume control on my A-S1000 integrated,

Bill

Wasn't thinking, I use a DAC as a preamp so the volume knob was a requirement and a remote was handy, but I would think most people do not use them like that.

52 minutes ago, RTR said:

Willland go here for a discussion on the multi room setup. http://www.avsforum.com/google-chromecast-audio-review/

Read the comments too. It's an interesting little device.

I actually did that before I bought one.  The CA does have a very reliable connection(so far) and does sound very good right out of the box.  I am hoping a good DAC will enhance that even more.

Bill