Proper room size for Klipschorns - Will this work?

Lost240

7 minutes ago, Lost240 said:

So I can build false corners to deal with the bass and wall issues, but my other concern is the width. Is 13 feet enough? I have heard of some people recommending 25-30ft, which of course is impossible in my situation. 

This discussion is related to room acoustics, and I've pretty much covered those areas above.  If you do those things (LP set back from the front wall, absorption in the right places, getting the last fold on the bass bins supported well), you won't have an issue with room width.

Some of the issue is just getting back away from the horns.  This subject is related to time alignment and polar coverage angles, but if you simply move back an additional 3-4 feet the issue is 80% less noticeable.

Chris

It is possible to solve the time alignment issue and provide yourself the advantages of being able to listen at closer distances, but it takes an active crossover and tri-amping.  It really isn't any more complicated than setting up a fussy turntable/arm/cartridge or getting the room acoustics right, but it does take two more stereo amplifiers. See the following thread for active crossover settings for the Khorn:

If you're interested in this approach (which will really make your Khorns stand out from the crowd acoustically), I can provide more information.

Chris

I'm sure that others will chime in here on their experiences with Khorn passive crossovers and preferred drivers, since that subject seems to draw a lot of attention on the forums.   I mainly listen to Klipsch Jubilees instead (the Khorns gather dust).

My observations are that the later-year Khorn models have more full-featured crossovers, particularly the 90s and later.  The drivers themselves pretty much are equivalent in performance since the 1970s, but some of their differences demand certain crossover details to best meet particular driver characteristics.  In general though, I don't hear much difference in passive crossover Khorn models by year.  That's one of the most remarkable stories of all: over its 70 years of production, and particularly the last 55 years since the time the K-400/K-55 midrange horn was introduced, the sound hasn't changed noticeably.

I personally find that digital crossovers work much better than passives in terms of their performance level, customizability, flexibility, ease of use and adjustment, stability over time and under load, and power transfer from amplifiers to drivers--you get much more power to your drivers than with passives, and lower distortion due to greatly reduced microphonic effects and back-EMF from horns/loudspeakers. That's why I mentioned them above.  Many here only see complexity (even before listening to them) and reject them out of hand.  Note that digital crossovers aren't complex in terms of usability...in fact they're much easier to deal with than passive networks.

One strong advantage of active digital crossovers: you can change horns and/or drivers and dial in the changes into your digital crossover to compensate for the changes--taking minutes to make the crossover filter, delay, update power limiting settings changes to each driver, and make the necessary EQ adjustments.  You can't do that with passives.  If you play your loudspeaker too loud (...something of a feat for Khorn owners...), your crossovers will save your drivers.

Chris

A Klipschorn might block your light switch access, but the speaker will fit in that corner and function well enough, even if the two adjacent door openings cost you some bass response. If it was my room to deal with, I would want to place the back of the sofa towards the windows and the Klipschorns in the corners of the long wall. Then I would hang some doors and have a very nice Klipschorn room. If we were a couple thousand miles closer, I would offer to trade you one pair of my Klipschorns for your Palladiums, so we could both try something different.

tape measure.jpg

10 hours ago, Lost240 said:

I am new to Khorns but not new to Klipsch. While looking for a set of these what is the best driver / crossover combination to look for assuming that I will be looking for a used set?

The XO that seems to get the most talk here is the Type AA which would be on Khorns from late 70's to early 80's, I'm thinking like 1982.  They have tweeter protection which is lacking on the earlier Type A and they have a reputation for having a smooth sound.  There are many mods and refresh kits available for both XO's so I would not avoid a Type A because of that.  It's just something to be aware of.

In that age range the mid driver uses the K-55-V and the later K-55-M.  The M is technically better in a very small part of the mid-range at 6K Hz, but almost certainly you will not be able to hear a difference.  I A/B'd them and I couldn't.

I would expect a set of stock Khorns with Type AA's (either mid-driver, it won't affect price) in excellent shape, the finish of your choice and fairly local to sell for $2500 to $3000.  Possibly less if you find a good deal, probably not higher.

Thanks @wvu80 I have a lead on a 1982 set of Khorns in Black with the AA network. I am waiting on more pics at the moment, but the finish does not look to be excellent so the price seems high. Ideally I would like to custom veneer these, but since I have never done something like that I doubt I will be able to do it on my first try to a pair of Khorns. I may have to keep looking for another set. 

4 hours ago, Lost240 said:

Thanks @wvu80 I have a lead on a 1982 set of Khorns in Black with the AA network. I am waiting on more pics at the moment, but the finish does not look to be excellent so the price seems high. Ideally I would like to custom veneer these, but since I have never done something like that I doubt I will be able to do it on my first try to a pair of Khorns. I may have to keep looking for another set. 

Agree, if you are planning on doing a custom veneer then find a fixer-upper with a rough finish, maybe somewhere around the $1500 level.  That is ideal for what you have in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had K-horns on 13' wall since I joined the forum 8 years ago. For the first 1 1/2 years they were tucked back in the corner like they were supposed to be but they never imaged at all. I put backs on them and towed them out and they have imaged like crazy every since. Put backs on them and tow them out till you get the image you want !

Metart 1753.JPG

• Like 2

On 10/28/2016 at 0:50 PM, Lost240 said:

@Khornukopia if I am looking at your picture correctly the Khorn itself only touches the wall for the first 22.5" right?

Yes, but it slopes away from the wall a little slowly until you reach the front of the K.  If some things look tight, you'll have to actually get them in there to make sure they fit.  I had a window sill to contend with on one side and a baseboard heat register on the other, so I still had to do some trimming.

35 minutes ago, davis419b said:

I put backs on them and towed them out and they have imaged like crazy every since

I didn't put backs on mine, but I agree with the toe out idea.  My room isn't ideal either but I like the sound of them toed out with the tweeters aimed more towards the center listening position and mine image great as well.

It costs you nothing to try.  That's the best kind of upgrade.  B)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lost240 said:

Thank you everyone! Special thanks to @Chris A you convinced me that this would work and you were sooo right. I am going to try these on the long wall tomorrow.  A very special thank you to @Edroom for making this happen!

image.jpeg

I've been to Ed's house. I bought heresy h700's from him, but part of the deal was that I got to listen to his klipschorns. I believe I listened to those last spring. Congrats man. You went further past my house (just saying). But there was never a chance you were going to buy mine.

11 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I've been to Ed's house. I bought heresy h700's from him, but part of the deal was that I got to listen to his klipschorns. I believe I listened to those last spring. Congrats man. You went further past my house (just saying). But there was never a chance you were going to buy mine.

Thanks @dtr20 I was actually thinking about your invitation to stop by when I was on my way up there this weekend. I really appreciate the offer.

I just couldn't pass up this opportunity to hear AND bring home the Khorns. I knew you weren't letting yours go. I had no doubt I would like them but I had to be sure. We actually brought two SUVs. It was a long day but well worth the trip.