Horn Subs or IB Subs to Replace (4) RSW-15's

Youthman

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm not surprised.  Think what you like.

Using the framing to suppress movement is needlessly slowly destroying the structure not to mention adding distortion into the mix.

Even if you used construction adhesive on every joint and panel on the structure it is still going to flex no matter what you do. 

Opposing drivers cancel out the problem similar to a counterbalance weight on a crankshaft to get a perspective.

And on you go.  Harping on something and continuing to post on something that the OP asked to move on from is thread crapping.  He hasn't decided on IB or horns yet so construction is a non issue as far as this thread is concerned.  I hope that clears things up.

Knowing Youthman, there'll be a detailed build thread on whatever he ends up building.  Most likely there'll be drone footage and the whole thing will be set to music as well!

10 hours ago, Youthman said:

First of all, I love the output of the quad RSW-15's and think they look awesome stacked between the LaScalas.  I have only heard one IB setup which is wakejunkie's.  At the time, he had a pair of FI 18's in an IB Configuration and it absolutely slammed and can dig WAY below what the RSW-15's are capable of.  I'm definitely not lacking bass but I wouldn't be in this forum if I wasn't continually looking for ways to improve my system.

I'm at the VERY early stages of even considering replacing the RSW-15's.  I love how they look and they sound great, I just know that the DIY route will yield lower distortion bass and deeper bass.

So I wanted to get some advice on Folded Horn vs IB for my setup and which models you would recommend.  My guess is I could sell all 4 of my subs and easily fund a DIY project that would exceed the sound I have now.

I considered a pair of Lil Mike's....I believe they are called F10's?  It's a folded horn that should be able to fit a pair where the RSW-15's are now.  I also have a lot of space above the speakers so the cabinet could be much taller than the top of the screen.

I have very little woodworking tools but likely could find someone that has woodworking ability to help me at least cut the pieces for the enclosures.  

Looking forward to the advice and discussion.

Michael-Stevens-La-Scala-Home-Theater-Bu

The only thing the RSWs cannot do is dig down...they are lacking below 25hz and that 15-25hz range is really a sweet spot for home theater.  

Whatever you can do to add that into the setup is worth it imo, especially if at no additional cost.  That low end really makes the difference in the experience.

Buildings falling down, bass slides, rumbles, explosions, Transformers tumbling down the road...all want that lower range.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

The only thing the RSWs cannot do is dig down...they are lacking below 25hz and that 15-25hz range is really a sweet spot for home theater.  

I have never owned a sub that could hit below 20Hz. The first and only time I have experienced sub 20Hz frequencies was in wakejunkie's setup.  Talk about putting a grin on your face.  His subs will easily play down in the single digits. 

I've plotted the RSW-15 frequencies and at 19Hz, it begins dropping like a rock...very steep dropoff in output.

Ok so help me think this through.....how could I build an IB system that looks cool but has opposing facing speakers?  If possible, I would like to be able to see all 4 speakers.

The space where the RSW-15's are measures 36" Deep x 27" Wide and 89" up to the ceiling.

This should be interesting to follow.  I still like my RSW's, but since I've hooked up the F-20, not as much.  I've never been able to hear an IB system, might have to experiment in the shop one day.  Those pictures from Wakejunkie are really cool.  How did he come up with that idea.

23 minutes ago, Pete H said:

How did he come up with that idea.

He's extremely creative.  I worked with him on the concept and placement options and the rest was all him.  He originally had a pro style sub there that really didn't hit down low.  The LED backlighting was my suggestion but everything else was all his unbelievable craftsmanship.