Class Act

Wolfbane

The article goes waaay out of its way to refer to the animal as "the dog" a dozen times in the article.  It's a pit bull.

I'm not condoning what the family did, but the attempt by the article to "spin" the story to elicit more sympathy wasn't really great either.  :dry:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The article goes waaay out of its way to refer to the animal as "the dog" a dozen times in the article.  It's a pit bull.

I'm not condoning what the family did, but the attempt by the article to "spin" the story to elicit more sympathy wasn't really great either.  :dry:

It is not the dog's fault he was born a pit bill. Some people were born as facists 80 years ago.

That said, I would not own a pit bull either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Any dog can be taught to "soft-mouth" things, even pit bulls.

In a previous life I was an in-home therapist working with poor parents in danger of having their parental rights terminated.  I got  LOT of work from CPS.

In one case in went into a home with a 4 year-old boy and the family had a one year-old pit bull.  The pit bull was completely friendly, didn't bite, didn't bark.  But this dog was SO strong!  I was in the home working, and while the child was playing with the pit bull, the dog jumped up on the child and pushed him SO HARD the child was knocked backwards into a storm door where the child went flying backwards THROUGH THE DOOR and down a set of steps.

The kid was playing, the dog was playing, the dog didn't bite.  The child was injured pretty severely with a head injury. 

CPS came in and told the family to lose the dog or they would remove the child from the home.  You have to understand that professionals who work with marginal parents consider having a pit bull in the home a danger to the child.

I didn't tell the CPS worker what to do, but if she would have asked I would have made that recommendation as well.

• Like 1

So, I guess having a large strong dog like a German Shepherd, Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, etc. are bad for children...but having a small dog is good for them??  Accidents happen, that is life!  But a dog is more than just a companion, it is ALSO a defender of those who it loves and trusts.  I prefer to have a defender that is big enough to defend itself and My family members, if necessary!  That is all....

35 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I prefer to have a defender that is big enough to defend itself and My family members, if necessary! 

What if the defender bites the face off a child while "defending" it's family?  This happens, and it happens more with pit bulls than any other breed. 

Many if not most drug dealers always have pit bulls.  And when convicted felons get out of prison it is the only dog I know of that is specified BY NAME by probation they are not allowed to have.

I didn't mean to start a discussion on the subject because I know pit bull owners will defend them to the death as being friendly dogs that play with their own children with no problems.  Many do, but there are reports of pit bulls biting their owners to death.

I'll withdraw here and leave others to have the last word.

• Like 1

As with any dog, they react in the manner in which they were raised.  Pit Bulls are no different in that respect.  The problem with them is that they are physically more able to do major harm to humans than other breeds.  That's my take anyways.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

What if the defender bites the face off a child while "defending" it's family?  This happens, and it happens more with pit bulls than any other breed.

WHAT IF....well, WHAT IF the world ends today?  Animals bite, that is the nature of things.  To single out a specific BREED of dog to keep away from children is akin to racial profiling.  Say what you will, but that is the way it is!   I know dozens of people who have pit bulls and they have no problem with what you want to say about pit bulls. I have seen all kinds of dogs bite people, and have been bitten, myself, by dogs, None of those dogs were pit bulls, though...so I refuse to single out a specific breed to abolish.  Do as YOU want, but you do NOT convince ME of anything in the matter.

My experience is that whenever a particular breed becomes popular, it becomes over-bred to increase the supply, and that over-breeding is akin to in-breeding, which, in itself, creates MANY problems in certain breeds.  Look around and you can easily see the results whenever this occurs...hyperactivity, mean temper, etc.  I believe it is humans who create those problems simply because it is humans who manage the dog-breeding.

I have watched numerous breeds become a fad almost overnight over the years:  Dobermans, pit bulls, Labs, etc...and each time a particular breed becomes a fad the problems occur...for the same reasons.

My experience also teaches me that a mutt is more likely to make the best dog, and I prefer them over the pure-bred.  They generally have fewer medical issues, have fewer temperament issues, are smarter, and they generally live longer than the pure-breds.  So they are what I tend to have for a canine companion.

I DON'T SWAY EASILY TO OPINIONS...I RELY MORE ON MY EXPERIENCES...JUST SAYING...AND FINISHED SAYING.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

WHAT IF....well, WHAT IF the world ends today?

There is a difference between possibility and probability

There is a very low possibility the world would end today.  It's possible, but there is no evidence it is likely.  On the other hand there is a high probability that a pit bull will attack some innocent person today.  A cursory Google search has numerous examples.

I don't mean to argue with you, my friend.  I know you have your real-life experiences as well, which I respect and don't question.  It's just that as a previous professional who deals with people involved with CPS and the criminal justice system, I don't have the luxury of being guided by my feelings, I have to go with the facts.

If you can locate statistical data indicating pit bull attacks are rare and non-lethal, I would be happy to consider them and adjust my opinion to conform with the facts.

Fatal-Dog-Bites-and-Attack-Statistics-in

I will make one LAST FINAL point.  The breeds on your statistical data which have the LARGEST TWO pie slices are breeds that are used PRIMARILY for attack dogs and/or for dog-fighting.  And they are ALSO preferred breeds used by criminals or those involved in criminal activities, to protect themselves and their activities from others, to include other criminals...but that same statistical data does NOT show how and why those attacks occurred, just that they DID occur...and people DID die from it...so the data is ALREADY SKEWED to lean FOR your argument instead of against it.

Dogs will do what they are TRAINED to do, so that data does not reflect the training of all those dogs whose bites have resulted in the death of a human, or who  the victims were, were doing when bitten, and why they got bitten...nor does it include secondary infections, rabies, etc...it just covers deaths resulting from dog bite injuries.

Statistics are a great tool, but, unfortunately, they are used in the wrong way entirely too often, and this is just such an example.

Mosquitoes are far more dangerous than all the dogs on the planet...and probably more human deaths have been caused by mosquito bites than everything else combined...and in most cases it is a particular TYPE of mosquito which is responsible according to what the mosquito transmits...and where it is transmitted.  Does this make some mosquitoes good and others bad?  As far as I am concerned, all mosquitoes who suck blood are bad (many don't).  But without mosquitoes (of all types) many animals (which are HARMLESS to man, and many of those are actually beneficial to man) would starve, and many plants which are beneficial to man would never be pollinated.  AND, the most effective way to get rid of a mosquito problem is to break the rules our own EPA has set.  It is what it is!

I don't NEED to be convinced that YOU are right...and I am NOT trying to convince you that YOU are WRONG...just telling you that you are beating a dead horse here because  whenever somebody starts talking statistics, I am already convinced they have an agenda to support...so, I tend to just shirk them off because I feel the "see it my way, or else" routine is in effect.  It is what it is!...my friend!

Throwing fuel on the fire here but not really supporting one side or the other.

The chart shows fatalities.  As I stated earlier (in not so many words) for obvious reasons there's no Chihuahua's on the list.  It certainly isn't because they don't bite rather they aren't big enough to kill.  They can be extremely aggressive though.  I wonder if the chart would look different for bites as opposed to deaths?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

My experience also teaches me that a mutt is more likely to make the best dog, and I prefer them over the pure-bred.  They generally have fewer medical issues, have fewer temperament issues, are smarter, and they generally live longer than the pure-breds.  So they are what I tend to have for a canine companion.

I agree. 

Actually, I'm a mutt too.