Class Act

Wolfbane

Having a hard time with this. If all dogs can be taught to and not to do what they were bread to do, then why don't they. It seems that there is evidence that supports why certain dogs are used to do what they naturally do. That's not to say that some won't do that, there are too many examples contrary to that. There are Huskies that won't mush, and they are regularly put down. Some tracking dogs won't track. Some Golden Retrievers aren't the docile family dog that they generally are. Some Pit Bulls are scared of their own shadow. Not all mutts are desired. 

Most dogs will be protective of their human and turf. Generally the breed of dog will be / act a certain way, naturally. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Mosquitoes are far more dangerous than all the dogs on the planet...and probably more human deaths have been caused by mosquito bites than everything else combined...and in most cases it is a particular TYPE of mosquito which is responsible according to what the mosquito transmits...and where it is transmitted.  Does this make some mosquitoes good and others bad?  As far as I am concerned, all mosquitoes who suck blood are bad (many don't).  But without mosquitoes (of all types) many animals (which are HARMLESS to man, and many of those are actually beneficial to man) would starve, and many plants which are beneficial to man would never be pollinated.  AND, the most effective way to get rid of a mosquito problem is to break the rules our own EPA has set.  It is what it is!

All mosquitoes are bad and will die if I'm elected POTUS. I say kill them all and let god sort them out and mother nature balance it out. 

:P

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The chart shows fatalities.  As I stated earlier (in not so many words) for obvious reasons there's no Chihuahua's on the list.  It certainly isn't because they don't bite rather they aren't big enough to kill.  They can be extremely aggressive though.  I wonder if the chart would look different for bites as opposed to deaths?

Superb point.  :emotion-21:

I threw out that chart as an simple, but deadly example, and over a limited time frame.  There is plenty of information out there examining dog bite data from different angles (such as dog bites), different states, etc.

+++

I wanted to be upfront with my agenda as well.  Not a hidden agenda, a professional agenda from a Child Protective Services policy perspective; it's the safety of children.  It goes to the lack of judgement by the parents and their failure to protect their children. 

I'm not arguing to persuade, I'm posting to inform.  Most people don't have my perspective from going into people's homes and seeing how "the other side" lives.  Readers can take from my experience what they will.

I have examples and I will expound if anyone asks, but I'll stop here.

1 hour ago, Weber said:

If all dogs can be taught to and not to do what they were bred to do, then why don't they. It seems that there is evidence that supports why certain dogs are used to do what they naturally do. That's not to say that some won't do that, there are too many examples contrary to that. There are Huskies that won't mush, and they are regularly put down. Some tracking dogs won't track. Some Golden Retrievers aren't the docile family dog that they generally are. Some Pit Bulls are scared of their own shadow.

Most dogs will be protective of their human and turf. Generally the breed of dog will be / act a certain way, naturally.

I already explained ONE of the reasons...which is simply due to being pure-bred...this leaves too much room for idiots in the breeds and bad health issues. And those breeds which have exceeded availability due to becoming the "IN THING" to have just compound that issue due to HEAVY in-breeding to meet the demand...and it takes a VERY LONG time for that problem to subside in those particular breeds...and it will NEVER subside completely. just because pure breeds will always have some issues within the breeds.  It is a genetic thing.

All pure breeds were bred to do SOMETHING that no other available animal in the general area could do, or to do that SOMETHING better.  Some breeds were originated for a food source...just the right amount of fat to muscle ratio to taste good and be tender after being prepared (cooked) the way they would cook them.  Others were bred to be lap dogs, hunting dogs, working dogs as shepherds, etc., or to do specific TYPES of work such as pulling sleds, carts or whatever.  Some dogs were bred to better survive a particular environment and that also often included to help their HUMAN better survive that climate (what would keep YOU warmer in the Alps during winter, a Mexican hairless or a St. Bernard?).  Some were bred to do any combination of these things.  Then add in particular coloring for a breeding choice, and appearance for another choice, and size for yet another choice, and on and on...ad infinitum.

You are correct to say that many were killed off simply because they did NOT meet the standard for what their particular breed was expected to be able to do.  That eliminates that trait in later generations.  AND, those that did NOT "cut the mustard" often ended up as a food source for humans or the rest of the breed that DID "cut the mustard"....just like in the wild!

But you also bring up this VERY important point: "there is evidence that supports why certain dogs are used to do WHAT THEY NATURALLY DO."  The fact is that what dogs "naturally do" has NOTHING to do with what we have turned them into by changing them to do what WE want them to do, unless we have SPECIFICALLY bred them with the intent of them hunting in packs to feed themselves, since that is what they would NATURALLY BE DOING if we had not interfered with them to begin with in order to make them HELP US DO things which we needed help with over the millennia.

We changed THEM, but in doing so, they changed US!

• Moderators
On 10/27/2016 at 9:37 PM, Wolfbane said:

It is not the dog's fault he was born a pit bill. Some people were born as facists 80 years ago.

That said, I would not own a pit bull either.

I'm pretty sure you can't be born a fascist.   You can be born in a country that has a fascist government,  or has a certain portion of fascists in it,  but no one is born a fascist.  

• Like 2

I agree with Babadono.  Dogs can be trained...sadly owners cannot.  You have to go through required training to drive a car but not to have kids or dogs.  And the chart from WVU80 paints a pretty compelling picture.  As for me and mine, we will take our Graduate Black Lab "Max" (puppy, intermediate, and advanced school).  I did see, some time ago, a Chihuahua (guard dog trained) that could jump up and shred your ankles.  Hehe.    

Having raised rotts, Dobermans, German shepherds, dachshunds, malamutes and 180lb St.Bernard/Labrador mix and a few others along the way, bad, irresponsible, uneducated (with regards to breeds, training and owner responsibilities) people, are the problem and in rare cases, improper breeding or a psychologically unbalanced animal.  FYI, while breeding dachshunds, they were consistently the most naturally protective dogs I've ever seen.  I come across people constantly that think it's cute that their dogs jump up on everyone, beg for food at the table, loose their mind when the owner comes home and those things are not a sign of a happy, healthy or socially integrated dog, regardless of the size.  Sorry, I hate to see dogs taking the wrap for people. 

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

What was the movie that had the line about you have to have a license to have a dog but anyone can have a kid?

Helen: It sounds like a boy Garry's age needs a man around the house.

Tod: Well, it depends on the man. I had a man around. He used to wake me up every morning by flicking lit cigarettes at my head. He'd say, "Hey, *******, get up and make me breakfast." You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming ******* be a father.

• Like 1

Okay, im dense and can't have multiple beliefs so please don't take anything said personal. 

1 - Most Pit Bulls are bad because they are bred to be bad.

2 - Pit Bulls only do what a trainer trains them to do and dogs can be trained, humans can't

3 - Human's fault dogs where bred to act this way,  so it's due to successful breeding

4 - It's the media's fault

5 - Chihuahua are aggressive

6 - Dogs only do what they're trained to do

7 - All dogs are created equal

8 - Mutts are better dogs because of a plethora of reasons

9 - It's Micky's fault Goofy is goofy 

10 - Size matters