Need Price Check on Hammond B3 and Leslie

thebes

Pristine.  Owned by a couple for 30 or 40 years.  Never been out of a finished suburban basement. She played, he sang, (off key I'm sure). I've never seen a speaker box in greater shape.

He was an audio sales rep and got it from the source back in the day. He won't ever break them up so I'm trying to help him out with a real fair price on what they go for these days.

Please be clear, this is not cause I want or will buy them, just helping out a friend get  a realistic value with view towards selling them.

Marty, knowing more specifics about both would help.  Such as (if possible) date of manufacture, serial numbers...The Leslies had different models that could be paired up, so not all are the same, and some are more costly than others.  I know it's asking a lot, but tube compliment wouldn't hurt either....

Here's the recent for sale page on the bay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.XHammond+B3.TRS0&_nkw=Hammond+B3&_sacat=0

And the latest sold listings

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=Hammond+B3&_sop=3

Determining value of a 40 year old Hammond B3 over the NET is in a word IMPOSSIBLE. They are sought after. That said, some need a crazy amount of work. This one probably does as 30-40 year old machines usually do. Having owned and worked on my own Hammond organ taught be that much!

Some light reading about saving/restoring old Hammond organs.

http://www.hammondorganservice.com/commprobasiwho.htm

Thanks guys.  I'm going to share this with him and get some specifics.  Looks like a lot of variety in specific models and prices. 

It's always fun to see a Leslie, though. Heard my first one live just a little over a year ago.

Price is driven by a lot of factors such as location, condition (always), seller expectations (realistic or not), whether it's paired with an appropriate Leslie, etc. If you are not an experienced Hammond tech, it is worth paying more to get one that has been serviced and is in tip top shape. Price is also driven by the market at the point in time you are buying. It does fluctuate. Buyers should also consider a C-3 or A-100 which have the same 'guts' as a B-3 but cost less. The A-100 has an internal speaker which can be bypassed in favor of a Leslie. There also older models which preceded the B-3 but have been updated to B-3 specs. These should also be cheaper.

Just my $.02.

• Like 1