CORNFLOTH

consistent

Hello...long time away!

A couple of years ago I purchased Martin Login Montis, very nice speakers, hearing things my Khorns could not produce but they did not have the 'peaks with goosebumps' that the Khorns could produce. At the same time I was reading a lot about what people were doing with Cornwalls/Cornscalas. It interested me, I had some bits and bobs that I used to tweak my Khorns and thought I could build something, not sure what. I contacted Bob Crites, purchased a few things off him over the years. Bob set me straight about how I could create something simply better, all I needed was a pair of his woofers, his new Italian tweeters DE 120 (much better than the previous Eminence unit) and his simple crossover network (500/4,500). I had some tractrix horns I had built, a couple of Le Cleac'h horns (AH-425 from Azurahorn), a pair of Altec  291 16K and a pair of Atlas PD-5VH mids

I built a 2'x2'x2' according to his plans ( a few mm out here and there). I glued/sealed everything I could except the front motor boards. I left the mid and tweet on top of the box as separates. Was a great sound, impressed me a lot but I needed more depth and tightness so I went and made up the motor board ports according to Roger Froth's article (Equalising the Klipsch Cornwall). Wow, what a difference (in my room at least). Very tight and detailed bottom end and I reckon it would have added a few more hz to the bottom end response. One thing for sure the speakers do pick up subsonics so careful with the volume!

Anyhow I fiddled about a bit positioning tweet and mid with box over a period of weeks trying for the best position in the room and best combination of drivers/horns using only Bob's crossover. Well what I found was that my 1.4" to 2" tractirx horn with the Altec 291, the DE 120, Bob's crossover and woofers was a match made by the gods! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, clean, clear, dynamic, great side to side and even front to back imaging. I can categorically say not as loud as the Khorns but simply better!!

I am trying to load a picture I what I ended up with but the system is refusing the upload!!!

I'll try another thread!

• Like 1

thanks Soundbound...more work to be done!

And yes I have a wife Klipfish of 40 years, very understanding, also have a room where I can fiddle. I have been living with some sort of Klipsch product since 1977, just can't seem to get them out of my blood, nor would I want too!

• 2 months later...

So I have done a little more fiddling and work on the project...still liking the sound very much, Bob's crossovers are simple and work very well integrating the bottom end with the horns, The tweeter has lots of detail that the K77 could not musterDSC_0002.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice, I too recently exchanged my ct125 for de120s though I used a different waveguide. I have not had much time to listen recently but my initial observations point to a Definite change in detail and depth. I like the mid horns, are they DIY?