La Scala Industrial

Mr._Music_Fan

For Sale:

A pair of awesome upgraded Black La Scala Industrial speakers for $1200  These speakers were built in 1996. I also have the aluminum badges if you want them.

Tweeter: Elliptrac HF ($215 for this upgrade)
Midrange: K-55M
Woofer: K-43-K

Link to the upgraded tweeters: click HERE

I have resealed the woofers within the last year and should be good for another 20 years.

I am selling these speakers as I recently moved into a smaller house and they are too powerful for me and my smaller living room.  They are currently in my garage and ready to go to a good home.  

imageedit_1_7264901895.gif

imageedit_6_8263944402.gif

imageedit_8_4302211262.gif

NOOOOOO!!!

Alex, just today I visited a friend/customer who I sold a pair of La Scala to last year.  His Scala's were so close to the listening position, literally less than 7 feet. It felt like you could almost reach out and touch them. I thought they would sound bad.  They DID NOT !!!  He is using an old Marantz and the Scala's sounded fabulous, even that close.  If you can convince the remainder of your household some tolerance, try it before you make the FINAL decision. 

You worked so hard to find and get these babies up and going.  There has to be another solution?

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Yes, they are in my garage, in Texas, in DFW. lol

So, I am really torn / heart broken.  My music room is about 15 feet length by 11 feet wide. My current setup is Forte II, Heresy I and, SW-12ii, with a Marantz 2252 and a simple Pioneer turntable. I've attached a pic below.

After really giving this thought I came to the conclusion the LSi are going for sale. I am also giving thought to possibly selling my heresys .  The primary issues preventing from keeping them are:

1. I tried my best to get them how I want them, but trying to get them to be stained cherry, like the beauties that Matthews made.But I just don't think it will happen.

2. I am running out of room. I currently have the following sets: HWO, Forte ii (WO), KG4 (WO), SW-12ii (black), and LSi (black). I am fast running out of room. If the LSi somehow can be transformed into a Cherry LS, then I am up for selling all my other speakers. But I really, really love my Forte ii. They sound awesome in my room.

3.I am really hung up on step 1. :(  So if I can't enjoy them as they are, maybe someone else can.

Hopefully this explains my sale and motives further.  Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

-Alex

ps. Yes the TV is off center, but I'm removing it and installing a projector and screen at a later date (one day).

IMG_2339.JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

If the LSi somehow can be transformed into a Cherry LS, then I am up for selling all my other speakers.

It is very simple, get to sanding my friend.  The most difficult pair I restored were covered in several coats of thick varnish. They were murder!  I wanted to give up half way through.  Black paint will be a breeze, comparatively.  Just gonna take a little determination and elbow grease :D

You could always skip the very hardest part, getting inside the folded horn.  Just leave em' black back there.  No one will ever know once you slap in some sweet custom cane bass bin grills :emotion-19:

You can do this!

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

If I did that, do you guys think I should sell my other speakers?

Keep the sub, you will like having it with the Scala's. 

This is the pair that had the thick and difficult tinted varnish.

prep.jpg

After many sheets of sand paper, bloody knuckles and desperation, completely stripped to raw wood.

fronts1.jpg

And ultimately, they became "Plum Crazy"

1.jpg

again, you can do this, Alex!  We are here to help :)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 7

Unlike most people contemplating La Scalas, you already have a pair. Do some A/B testing  with them vs your other speakers and see if that is THE (must have) sound for you. If it is, then you will never really be happy with whichever set up you end up with even though you have some great choices. Listen to them with your eyes closed, fall in love or don't, we have all tried this test a time or two. If they are the ones for you, get to sanding. I know I would stick with LS (or Belles) in that room. Another thought is that not everyone has the energy Matthews has (few do), you could sell all of them and get a nicer pair or one that takes a little less work. It will be fun either way. GLWS or sanding!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matthews said:

Keep the sub, you will like having it with the Scala's. 

This is the pair that had the thick and difficult tinted varnish.

prep.jpg

After many sheets of sand paper, bloody knuckles and desperation, completely stripped to raw wood.

fronts1.jpg

And ultimately, they became "Plum Crazy"

1.jpg

again, you can do this, Alex!  We are here to help :)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

IMG_0939.JPG

Alex, best of luck with your decision. If the cabs are in good shape I'd sand and refinish them just like th ones Matthews did. They do look and sound great in a small room. Here are the ones Matthews refinished in a room a little smaller than yours.

Mark

• Like 2