La Scala Industrial

Mr._Music_Fan

Howdy Gang,

I am withdrawing and cancelling the sale of my LSi (in Texas, in DFW, in my garage).

Why?: On the train ride home I got an rather ingenious idea.  After talking with some woodworking friends, I decided to keep my speakers. This is probably going to be my birthday/xmas gift for this year. IF things go as plan, I'll have some "new" LaScalas.

Thank you for all your support -- especially you Matt!

See you on the dark side of December!

-Alex

On October 30, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Matthews said:

Keep the sub, you will like having it with the Scala's. 

This is the pair that had the thick and difficult tinted varnish.

prep.jpg

After many sheets of sand paper, bloody knuckles and desperation, completely stripped to raw wood.

fronts1.jpg

And ultimately, they became "Plum Crazy"

1.jpg

again, you can do this, Alex!  We are here to help :)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Sir, they are works of art!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On October 29, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Matthews said:

It is very simple, get to sanding my friend.  The most difficult pair I restored were covered in several coats of thick varnish. They were murder!  I wanted to give up half way through.  Black paint will be a breeze, comparatively.  Just gonna take a little determination and elbow grease :D

You could always skip the very hardest part, getting inside the folded horn.  Just leave em' black back there.  No one will ever know once you slap in some sweet custom cane bass bin grills :emotion-19:

You can do this!

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Matt I picked up some black BB la scalas. I want to leave them black but perfect. I love the grill over the mid and tweet. But that's about as crazy as I could get. Well, actually I'd love to do the scalas in piano black! But I have some chips, some parts of the ply I need to glue back down etc. Any general words of advice would be most appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 7:24 PM, jwgorman said:

Any general words of advice would be most appreciated. 

Hi "jw" :)   -  I did do a pair in "piano black" (the Black Betty's).  Be aware, the gloss black will show EVERY imperfection.  Take your time is probably the very best advice I could give.  If you have veneer popping, try to get a little something under it and glue it back down (i.e. save it).  I use 3M wood filler to fill in the bad spots.  Lots of sanding and get them as smooth as possible.

1 (Medium).jpgtops (Medium).jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

I agree with JW - Matt, those are pretty much works of art!  maybe one day when I have more flex time, I can try my hand at a project like that.  I think I'd enjoy doing it, especially if the finished product is something like yours, or even in the ballpark.

great work sir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwgorman said:

Just looking at your La Scalas makes mine feel so inferior! Thanks for the advice those are beautiful sir!

2 hours ago, -js- said:

I agree with JW - Matt, those are pretty much works of art!  maybe one day when I have more flex time, I can try my hand at a project like that.  I think I'd enjoy doing it, especially if the finished product is something like yours, or even in the ballpark.

great work sir

Thanks guys, it is a love/hate relationship :wacko:

31 minutes ago, -js- said:

the hate coming from the pain involved, sanding by hand, etc.?

Indeed, "js" :(  -  getting down to bare wood, inside the folded horn is murder.  Almost have to be a contortionist!  Bloody knuckles, sore arms and of course, the scratching of the head (what have I gotten myself into?)  LOL :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -js- said:

would you ever consider using a sander of any kind?  or is there a fear that a power sander would take off too much too quickly, and then we know where you are - no man's land.

I have not used an electric sander, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think an experienced wood worker could use an electric sander, but I have heard of others using one and the sander took off too much material.  Once that happens minor damage turns into major damage.

A LS is a huge speaker with a lot of surface area.  I would tempted to use an electric sander but when I had a choice on my CF-4 refurb, it was all hand sanding.  I just didn't trust myself with anything but a hand sanding block.

+++

So how did this project turn out?  Was it sold?  Was the box refurbed or rebuilt?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2016 at 2:43 PM, cincymat said:

IMG_0939.JPG

Alex, best of luck with your decision. If the cabs are in good shape I'd sand and refinish them just like th ones Matthews did. They do look and sound great in a small room. Here are the ones Matthews refinished in a room a little smaller than yours.

Mark

Those turned out beautiful!  Hope mine look half as good when I'm done.

On 11/16/2016 at 5:12 AM, Matthews said:

Hi "jw" :)   -  I did do a pair in "piano black" (the Black Betty's).  Be aware, the gloss black will show EVERY imperfection.  Take your time is probably the very best advice I could give.  If you have veneer popping, try to get a little something under it and glue it back down (i.e. save it).  I use 3M wood filler to fill in the bad spots.  Lots of sanding and get them as smooth as possible.

1 (Medium).jpgtops (Medium).jpg

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Matt -

Do you do your own cane covers or to you get them somewhere?  I am just about to start a pair of LaScala's.  They bottoms were busted out to rob the driver.  (I have a set of K-horns that were damaged in a flood that I am robbing the components)  I have to install a new bottom board then sand the old black paint off.  Then wood filler and more sanding.  I planed on priming them then spraying them with two coats of black lacquer, then buffing with a paste wax.  I want to use grill covers, but don't have a source.