New To Me Chorus 1

Ironsave

So after a few days of having these.... I'm blown away. They're like Heresy on steroids. Bigger sound stage.... Natural chest thumping bass ( no sub)... I use " pure audio" setting on my reciever now and it's like they DON'T NEED EQ ing....

Besides a crossover recap ( should I? They sound so good now against my re capped Heresy 1 speakers, it's crazy).... 

What else can be done to enhance their performance? Best placement? Toed in like Heresy or straight against wall? 

Ideas? Thoughts?

Try extreme toe-in orientation, with axis crossing several feet in front of the main listening position.  Yes, it looks a bit odd if you're not used to it, but it helps to take advantage of your speakers polar pattern to completely eliminate any hard, early reflections from near walls, while expanding the sweet spot and stabilizing the image.  (Anyone who thinks horns can't throw a convincing sonic image/soundstage really need to try this trick.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ironsave said:

So after a few days of having these.... I'm blown away. They're like Heresy on steroids. Bigger sound stage.... Natural chest thumping bass ( no sub)... I use " pure audio" setting on my reciever now and it's like they DON'T NEED EQ ing....

Besides a crossover recap ( should I? They sound so good now against my re capped Heresy 1 speakers, it's crazy).... 

What else can be done to enhance their performance? Best placement? Toed in like Heresy or straight against wall? 

Ideas? Thoughts?

Why fix what's not broken. Don't get in a hurry to start "updating". Not always a good thing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

• Like 3

I agree with Tom b 57 to a degree, yes, it's easy to go overboard, but I would recommend sending your crossovers to Bob Crites for an update, (cheaper and just as good as buying new), and putting in Ti tweeter diaphragms.  Diaphragms you can easily do yourself.  Definitely toed in.  Other than that, you should be good for a long time.....

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. 

I'll probably get the capacitor kit from Crites in a few weeks. ( or have them do it).... 

I've found that for placement, flat against the wall is what I like best so far, but will try the suggestions.

I'm definitely not trying to change everything at once. 

These really are the best speakers I've ever owned. 

I'm fortunate.... Even the Wife agrees they sound great.

1477854839805-428628479.jpg

Matthews added port tubes when he redid his Chorus 1's. He felt it improved the bass. I did not hear them before the mod but heard them when he was done and they sounded great. I believe Shaun K has them now. Very inexpensive project that can easily by reversed if you don't care for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Before adding port tubes/extension, playing with the distance from the rear wall will change the amount of bass.

I am a big fan of chest thump.  B)

If they are paired with, let's say a 15" sealed sub that pounds in the 35-120 Hz range, is the port tube or placement distance even needed?

I have never owned or even heard Chorus II's but for some odd reason I feel like I must have them.  :unsure:

• Like 2

Congrats on your Chorus II's.... Yea they are chest thumper's for sure..... One of my favorite to play.... It was one of the 1st Klipsch speakers I ever heard..... That sound has always stuck with me...

Enjoy them...

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I have never owned or even heard Chorus II's but for some odd reason I feel like I must have them.  :unsure:

Ya got to Dave;) One of my favorite for sure..... Put some big power into them and they will just punch you in the chest... 

MKP :-)

• Like 3

Thank you for the responses again.

I should point out, I have an Emotiva 12" sealed 500w RMS sub. Honestly, it's not needed with these. ( unless listening to HT, explosions, etc). The "Pure Audio" setting on my Reciever bypasses the sub and EQ settings. It's PHENOMENAL for any kind of music.

I had to eq the Heresy 1s plus sub to get what I wanted for music. These EXCEED THAT BY BIG LEAPS. 

Based on my research, the Chorus II are more desirable, but I'm just grinning every time I crank ANYTHING. 

No DISTORTION. CLEAR. CLOSE YOUR EYES AND IT'S A CONCERT.

Can someone point me to the port mod mentioned? If cheap and easily reversible, might be fun to try.... 

FWIW, it's been 5 years since I've been on this forum. I hope to reconnect with those of you I knew.... 

Thanks so much

• Like 2

On 10/31/2016 at 6:01 AM, MookieStl said:

Matthews added port tubes when he redid his Chorus 1's. He felt it improved the bass. I did not hear them before the mod but heard them when he was done and they sounded great. I believe Shaun K has them now. Very inexpensive project that can easily by reversed if you don't care for it.

I did the same thing and it did seem to make the sound richer. I moved the Chorus a little bit further away from the wall to avoid any murkiness in the bass.

• Like 1