Fabracation help for a disabled veteran

ricktate

I met Brain while out on a bike ride. He is disabled veteran and he rides an off road type skate board with a seat on it. He is looking for someone to fabricate a new different design seat. He trains on this in the summer for skiing in the winter. I know there a lot of guys here that have different skills and we all know people also.

Just thought I would try and maybe get some ideas or help finding someone that could do this for him. I called this cool machine shop in KC and they said they could do anything he wanted but not sure what the cost would be to him as of yet. Well thanks to any who might have help or ideas.

• Like 1

Ok he is a member here now but the pic is to large format. Not sure how to get it on here. The  one he wants costs a lot of money. Not sure if we can help him make one or help him with funds to buy one. How do we make the picture fit in here?? He said he tried to from his phone. Thanks a lot guys.

You can resize the photo by downloading some free software such as Gimp.  Gimp is a powerful problem for photo editing and is a free program with Photoshop features.  This is not a simple program.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371593,00.asp

You might find something free and easier to use from Ziff Davis:

http://downloads.zdnet.com/price/free/

Or:

http://download.cnet.com/s/microsoft-photo-editor/

7 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

That would be some insane engineering.  

That has a very sophisticated shock and linkage system.  It doesn't look like a DIY bolt-together project you make in your garage.

I don't want to throw water on the idea before it has even gotten off the ground but given the complexity and potential problems if the sled breaks while on the slopes/woods I would say your veteran friend would be much further ahead to fund raise and try to buy a proven product.

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Apparently there are also charities that exist specifically for getting people like this and rigs like this on the slopes.  Maybe see if they'd bend the rules and do it for a skateboard situation.

Winter Park, CO has a HUGE program for the disabled to involve them in winter sports, and I bet that they could point this vet in the right direction to get him what he needs GRATIS!

• Like 2

Its not like the one above much simpler than that no suspension at all. He uses it for skiing but also for summer training on a skate board. We are trying to get pic on here.

He brought it over to my house yesterday I think about all we could do is help him with funds. He said the current one is 500 600 bucks he wants to modify a new one to a little different position. It basically looks like a small square stool made with tubing.

He is involved in a skiing program for  Para-Olympics, the VA paid for the one he has now if I understood him right.. Right now I will work on getting a picture on here. Thanks for support guys.

OK GOT IT...Imagine his knees on the sling on the right and his feet locked back into top of the bar on the left. He wants to make one with the seat angled up in the front. It is facing to the right in the picture. In other words the front tube needs to be longer or the back tube needs to be shorter.

He said a few of the guys actually bend and break this one wow. It sits on top of 2 skis about 2 or 3 inches wide if I understood him right.   That strap you see goes over his knees to lock them down. Actually it is pretty awesome set up I think.

He has a molded seat with foam insert for his butt to fasten on the top of the frame on the curved part of tubing. Like they say a picture helps out a lot huh.

PS The way I got pic to work I emailed to myself then copy and paste.....maybe help others out. Actually Brians wife came up with that idea.

Thanks again RICK

6 hours ago, ricktate said:

He said a few of the guys actually bend and break this one wow. It sits on top of 2 skis about 2 or 3 inches wide if I understood him right.  

(piggy backing on the pic, and on what Weber said ^^^.  My background on such things is from motocross racing, I have no engineering or fabrication background)

I can see how it would break.  It looks like it is made out of thin walled aluminum tubing and uses a single horizontal brace.  I would like to see an X brace so you can bring triangulation in for strength, but that would make it much heavier.  Our veteran friend said he would like to bend the tubing where the seat is, but that would weaken the tubing even more.

I would like to see some kind of supple suspension because without it that would cause a LOT of stress on the spine and kidneys.  That would obviously cause a lot more complexity to the design and a decent shock even without linkage could easily cost $600.

The solution for any modifications is beyond my simple mind.