Amp/preamp for Palladium P39F under 2k :)

alexg5775

Recently bit the bullet on some p39f's!!! Very excited for speakers to come in. I recently purchased a new home, changed out the tile, fully remodeled etc and i needed to big beutiful speakers to go with it. With the WAF taken into account decided on these. Very excited!

So title says it all. It is for 90% music and i like to listen at moderate volume levels but i do like to crank it up some times so i would like a amp with some power. I have heard the P39f's sound much better with some power behind them. I want a SS amp with good strong tight bass to get those woofers moving. :D I would like a integrated amp but i will get a preamp/amp combo as well. Speakers will go in family/tv room which is a open concept with the living room, kitchen and dining room. Room is 28ftx31ft. I will post some pics when i get a chance. I have dual THT with a crest pro amp so if the amp has sub out that would be great.

I have been eyeing the nad c390dd. It has great reveiws, good power, sub out, fully digital, good price, etc. What do you guys think? Recomendations?

Thank you so much for the help!

Alex

• Like 1

Hi Alex, welcome back, and congrats on the P-39's!  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

I can't help you on the electronics but it sounds like you've got it going on, new house, and even a WAF to consider.  :)  People will be along shortly to help you spend your money, so help is on the way.

Good luck.  :cool:

Having recently bought a pair of P38s and a Parasound A21 power amp and a Parasound JC-2BP (and some other cool stuff), I can heartily recommend Parasound. They have an integrated that delivers 160 wpc. The A21puts out 250 at 8 ohms (400 at 4 ohms). If I am not mistaken the P39s operate at 4 ohms as do my P38s. It all sounds great. It seems that in order to get more than approximately 250 wpc (at 8 ohms), you would have to open your wallet quite a bit.

The Parasound integrated has some great reviews and looks to be equipped with a pretty nice array of the usual accouterments of the digital age. 

What color P39s did you get? Looking forward to seeing some pics.

The P 39 would be beautiful in a 2 amp setup using a switcher.  One amp SS and the other a beautiful tube amp.  Some nice glowing tubes would make a statement of audiophile and class.  I run my speakers like this.  Heck, get a Mac SS amp and never look back!

Even though tube amps are not high watts, they will power the speaker to loud level and have very sweet bass.

Silver_bullet_04.thumb.jpg.eef6c3ef99a892bf8b0827ea5acba901.jpg

post-141338-141016283027.jpg

• Like 1

Some very good products have been recommended. Klipsch and McIntosh is the natural fit for me but others have their favorite combinations. Klipsch PF-39's are imposing. Personally, I would want amp/preamp just as imposing.

McIntosh and Parasound amplifiers are rated A/A/B because the first few watts are class A which is perfect for 4-ohm horn-loaded speakers. NAD works particularly well with 4-ohm speakers and their power supply is especially designed for robust performance at all volume levels (worth taking the time to research the design). McIntosh and Parasound integrated units have it all, amp, preamp, DAC, phono, and headphone. First Watt products are high-quality and should not be overlooked as they are solid state but with 'tube sound performance' (interesting articles on the design on their web site).    

Thank you so much for the help guys!! I am doing my research on a all aforementioned combinations...

Those OP amps look interesting. Specs look great just the price looks to good to be true??

Nad has this puppy just released. http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M32-DirectDigital-DAC-Amplifier Not sure if it is even for sale yet and it will be over my budget. A used one would have been great.

I would LOVE a nice mcintosh integrated but I can't find a used newer model for less than 3k and it is just to much $ for me to swing right now.

I don't need phono or headphone FYI. Most my music is from my computer, streaming, iTunes, spotify, etc. 

Picture was taken with my phone so sorry about the quality but i think you get the idea. You see the two tht there on the ground and i will be getting a new tv. Probably a 75" :) Its open concept the family, living, dining and kitchen a lot of openness for the sound... 

photo-36.JPG

I'm powering a pair of 38s (love saying that) with an Emotive pre-amp and XPA-2 rated at 500wpc @ 4 ohm (250 watts @8 ohm) that's for 2 channel listening. The speakers are also connected to a Yamaha AVR via Niles box.

The Emotive amp has plenty of power to make these speakers come to life, the bass is especially good. The XPA-2 can also run 1000 wpc in mono-block mode.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys. Have not decided which way to go :( 

The nord amp look really nice but the preamp they make is not support 115V. I am thinking on purchasing the amp from them and then a preamp. I am reading FABULOUS reviews on the amp.

The yamaha a-s2100 also has be very intrigued, great reviews. The and c390dd is still also on my mind, It is the cheaper of the bunch and comes with a DAC and sub out which is a plus. 

Not really going after vintage. Ive been there and at least for right now i am looking at relatively new used or new. I really appreciate all the help you can imagine this is a big decision. I know i said budget was 2k but i can extend to lower 2k if it is worth it. Any more opinions?

Alex